Amp that can match HD600 and CD3000?
Apr 10, 2004 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

xcalibur

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for an amp that goes well with the HD600 and the CD3000 as I plan to get a CD3000 in the future. Any ideas? Thanks.

Apr 10, 2004 at 1:43 PM Post #2 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by xcalibur
I'm looking for an amp that goes well with the HD600 and the CD3000 as I plan to get a CD3000 in the future. Any ideas? Thanks.

I've heard that the MG-Head DT/OTL 32 match very well with both, and can even drive the K1000's. Not too many amps can say that. The OTL 32 will more than likely my next amp mainly because of it's versatility, and the fact that I dig tubes.

Apr 10, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #3 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by GlowWorm
I've heard that the MG-Head DT/OTL 32 match very well with both, and can even drive the K1000's. Not too many amps can say that. The OTL 32 will more than likely my next amp mainly because of it's versatility, and the fact that I dig tubes.

I've used the OTL32 with both the CD3000 and the HD600. The amp does very good with both phones. The Singlepower amps also do very good with both headphones.

Apr 11, 2004 at 12:56 AM Post #5 of 36
The Grace 901 works well with HD600's and the CD3000. I owned the HD600 w/Cardas, RS1's and the CD3000. I like the CD3000 the best with Grace. The CD3000 had the best image focus, and the largest soundstage. Through the Grace, the 3000's are slightly warm, dynamic, and very authoritive in the lower octaves. The Grace will drive just about any phone available and do it well.

Apr 11, 2004 at 4:51 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

What are your budget limitations? (We need to know, so that we can exceed them). What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of sound do you like? There are many possible amps that will drive both headphones. If you can provide more information about what you are looking for, it will help narrow the field.

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 36
HAHA i find this thread hilarious. I can all see you now with you wide OpEn grins
biggrin.gif
When recommending some of the most expensive equipment..ie the Grace 901 for 1500
biggrin.gif
"well he didn't give a LIMITATION hehe
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wanna throw the EAR in there too? haha
Well assuming he isn't a Well loaded wealthy person, the MG head would do ok for Full time workers, (280 bucks) or well saved college students. Starving college students would buy something a bit cheaper, but cd3000 takes a lot of juice!
I don't have oodles of cash, so I hope Pimeta or XIn dual will be the ticket to hd580 mid fi
back to recommending!

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

What are your budget limitations? (We need to know, so that we can exceed them). What kind of music do you listen to? What kind of sound do you like? There are many possible amps that will drive both headphones. If you can provide more information about what you are looking for, it will help narrow the field.

Budget should be around $500. I like a smooth and detailed sound. I listen to mainly jazz, vocals and some pop once in a while.

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #10 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by Buster Sword
HAHA i find this thread hilarious. I can all see you now with you wide OpEn grins
biggrin.gif
When recommending some of the most expensive equipment..ie the Grace 901 for 1500
biggrin.gif
"well he didn't give a LIMITATION hehe
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wanna throw the EAR in there too? haha
Well assuming he isn't a Well loaded wealthy person, the MG head would do ok for Full time workers, (280 bucks) or well saved college students. Starving college students would buy something a bit cheaper, but cd3000 takes a lot of juice!
I don't have oodles of cash, so I hope Pimeta or XIn dual will be the ticket to hd580 mid fi
back to recommending!

Yep, and I need to get my own back on someone, so go for the deluxe PPA with everything and then some
very_evil_smiley.gif

Seriously, I don't have the experience to advise you but I seem to remember a thread here where some did indeed recommend the Larocco PPA with Diamond Buffer. Could that've been the "Seattle Meet" thread?

Apr 11, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #11 of 36
I really love my PPA. It's not "maxed out" like some others and it's still incredibly detailed.

Edit: HAH I hadn't even seen the above post when i wrote this. Note that his PPA probably ran about 650 because of all the extras. You can get the non-maxed PPA's from JMT, MisterX, or a few others for around 400.

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:03 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally posted by NightWoundsTime
Edit: HAH I hadn't even seen the above post when i wrote this. Note that his PPA probably ran about 650 because of all the extras. You can get the non-maxed PPA's from JMT, MisterX, or a few others for around 400.

LOL! I wish! Add another 400 to that and you're getting close, and that's without the Lab Supply!
eek.gif

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 36
Quote:

Budget should be around $500. I like a smooth and detailed sound. I listen to mainly jazz, vocals and some pop once in a while.

Well, Todd has an excellent deal on the Corda HA-1 now, if you're interested.

Apr 11, 2004 at 6:56 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Singlepower PPX3
Antique Sound Labs OTL32, you can check with Kevin at www.upscaleaudio.com and see if he has any of the otl32's left on sale.
I'd wait around for one of the Singlepower MPX3's to show up used for the 500.00.

Apr 11, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #15 of 36
I can vouch for the Corda HA-1 to drive my Senns, my W1000's, and my grados all with ease and the crossfeed is a great plus for me. However, if you like jazz, I wonder if there is a 500 dollar tube amp in your future? Any tube amps out there in this price range that can handle this diversity?

EDIT: sounds like that OTL would do the trick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back