amp suggestions please - balanced input, single-ended cans; under USD 600
Dec 28, 2008 at 6:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

emmodad

100+ Head-Fier
hello all, title says it pretty succinctly: looking to solve a small system integration issue requiring multiple installations of a reasonably good quality (and good value) headphone amp with balanced inputs (XLR connections preferred but TRS acceptable). Single-ended cans only, generally hi-Z such as Senn 600/650. Possibility of lo-Z cans such as AKG 701/2, but that's not a primary issue at the moment.

Two options are Presonus Central Station (form factor is inconvenient, taking up an entire rack space for only the headphone amp function, but there are BlinkyLights!); other (perhaps sounding somewhat better than CS, and certainly more physically discreet) is Benchmark H1.

Would appreciate pointers to other possible candidates.

adthanxvance

Dec 28, 2008 at 8:13 AM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any reason on why balanced input but only SE output?

system specification: client systems are all balanced equipment, hence all sources are balanced as input to the potential headphone amp. no requirement (or interest) for balanced cans.

Dec 28, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 13
Im not aware of any headphone amps that do that, perhaps you should restrict your search to studio equipment.

Edited:
it came to me while taking a shower.
Ear HP4

I found one for $380 with 4 outputs. Shway.

Dec 29, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im not aware of any headphone amps that do that, perhaps you should restrict your search to studio equipment.

that's actually indeed been the common-sense approach thus far...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edited:
it came to me while taking a shower.
Ear HP4

I found one for $380 with 4 outputs. Shway.

quite the deal, $380 for a $5000 list price Tim de Parivincini product; such discounts must be common?

Think I'll try to help my clients stick to the originally-stated budget of USD 600

Dec 29, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 13
Where did you find the HP4 for $380?
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2008 at 5:53 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always buy some XLR to RCA adapters (they are pretty cheap). Then you could use any amplifier you wanted.

one could, if the system requirement were not for use of balanced signal transmission, hence looking for balanced inputs as per original post...

Dec 29, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #10 of 13
thank you SO MUCH for reminding me of Lake People!

the things I've forgotten since from working in the pro audio industry in CH and Bayern... far too long ago....brain is getting old....
frown.gif

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:58 PM Post #11 of 13
bumpity..... wondering if anyone may have further suggestions beyond Lake People (which are indeed good products; however not currently distributed in the US so shipping / service issues come to fore)?

Any knowledge of appropriate recent new product introductions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back