Amp suggestions for Senn HD595?
Jul 30, 2008 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sghod1212

Head-Fier
I'm still new to the audiophile world and I need some help picking out an amplifier for my CD5001 - any advice is much appreciated
smily_headphones1.gif

Right now I have:
Marantz CD5001 -> HD595
PC -> Chaintech AV710 -> CMOY -> HD595

My PC setup currently sounds a lot better than my CD player on its own, but I can't use my PC all the time so I need to improve the sound on my CD player. I'm guessing an amplifier will help my CD player outperform my PC, but I don't know which amplifier to get. I'd like to spend less than $250 and I've heard great things about the Little Dot MK III, but what other options do I have?

On a side note: how exactly does an amplifier increase sound quality? I've heard that it increases both the voltage and amperage to provide more power to the headphones, but is this true?

Jul 31, 2008 at 12:19 AM Post #2 of 5
At your price point, a Little Dot is a good choice for your HD595's. The MKII is an outstanding value, one you should seriously consider. The MKIII would also be a good choice.

As to your second question, anytime you put a component in the sound chain, you change the eventual sound signature you hear on your headphones. In the case of the LD amp, you will be inserting a tube amplifier in between the source and the headphones. Many describe tubes as a warm sound. This may be the sound signature you enjoy. I like tubes so I cannot comment much on solid state devices. My limited impressions are they can be neutral, but they can also be harsh, particularly the highs.

Jul 31, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 5
The Little Dot MKIII is an awesome amplifier which powered my hd650's quite well when I had one. Most amplifiers do not necessarily increase the sound quality but unleash the hidden power of your headphones. I would describe an amplifier like waking a bear in hibernation, ROAR!!!

Jul 31, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #4 of 5
I wonder why you're not satisfied with the HP jack on your 5001, and if an amp will solve the problem? The HP output of the 5001 has been much praised, even by people who own dedicated amps, and the 50 ohms of the 595 should walk it. Take another listen and make sure it's the 5001 that's the problem.

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:47 AM Post #5 of 5
I use the MKIII with my 595s and have been very happy with it. Make sure you pick the right impendance when you get it, and give it a few weeks of breaking in before you get the full sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back