Amp suggestion for: iPod + ER-6i + TurbodockII
May 9, 2006 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MrDetermination

Head-Fier
I have the Supermini 1.0 and even with new batteries I never use it because of the noise
frown.gif
The noise isn't audible in SR325s or Senn 580s but in those IEMs it is clear as day.

Went though some rough spots financially this year but now I can spend some dough to get something listenable.

Don't mind spending some money to do it right but I don't want to get more amp than the IEMs can take advantage of either.

Also, if you can suggest a portable setup/case for the amp you recommend I'd appreciate that too. I’d like something that keeps it all together and fits comfortably in my shorts’ pocket.

May 9, 2006 at 5:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Since the iPod is your source, you do not need to go over the top with an amp. Try the PA2V2 @ $60.00 or The AirHead @ $150.00 if you have the budget for that kind of money. I have the same components as you. The AirHead is definitely better than the PA2V2 but the PA2V2 is simply the best bang for the buck and I can say that with no reservations!!! Good luck and let us no what works for you

May 9, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #4 of 7
the ipod can be a pretty good source and a good amp can help...you might not need an amp if all your songs are ripped at 128 mp3...but if you're using ALAC, a good amp can matter...

May 9, 2006 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 7
Ohhhh, I didn't realize Ray had built something in this class. I met him a couple years ago at a Nashville Head-Fi meet and all his stuff sounded wonderful.

I'll have to shoot him an email.

EDIT: EEEP! $350 retail

May 9, 2006 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 7
I personally don't use IEM's but with my IPOD nano, I use a Turbodock II , GoVibe4 with AD8397 Opamp, and either my Beyer DT-231 or my AKG K26 P's. With just the amp I have turned it to max with the above headphones and my Grado SR-80 and I personally do not hear any hiss at all. You may want to look around the used fourms and pick up a Govibe if you can find one.

Regards,
Dennis

May 10, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrDetermination
Ohhhh, I didn't realize Ray had built something in this class. I met him a couple years ago at a Nashville Head-Fi meet and all his stuff sounded wonderful.

I'll have to shoot him an email.

EDIT: EEEP! $350 retail

used ones in the b/s forum often sell for less than $300...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back