amp smaller than CHA-47?
Nov 24, 2002 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

appar111

Headphoneus Supremus
HI, I am interested in getting a small simple amp to use with my portable and headphones, and would like something even smaller than the "penguins" style tin that JMT has perfected. I remember seeing/hearing something about one the size of a 9V battery. How does this one sound?

I listen to mainly rock and hip hop/rap.

thanks in advance, guys!

appar111

Nov 24, 2002 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 8
HI: GO to fixup.net and see his super mini amp V 3. I am waiting for his mini 9-volt batt. mini amp V 3. These amp are really small with a big sound.

Nov 24, 2002 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 8
Hm... I've not heard of an amp the size of a 9V battery, but fixup's supermini v3 is about the size of 4 AAA batteries put together. There is a picture of it here:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/attac...&postid=223377

I'm still burning mine in right now, but it is sounding pretty good so far (and even has enough juice to give my difficult to drive HD600 a bit of improvement, at least to my ears/mind).

What headphones/source are you planning on using with your amp?

Nov 24, 2002 at 1:45 AM Post #4 of 8
There's a guy on HeadWize building and selling a small cmoy amp. How small? The size of a 9V battery! Pretty damned small, huh?
tongue.gif

Here's the link:
http://headwize2.powerpill.org/ubb/s...20021123191135

BTW, I'm moving this thread to the amplification forum.

Nov 24, 2002 at 8:07 AM Post #7 of 8
heh... i'm surprised anyone remembered that.

well the first battery sized amp i did was sloppy as hell. subsequent ones were better laid out and smaller. i've even got a 47 in a 9v.... somewhere

Nov 24, 2002 at 11:24 AM Post #8 of 8
Overall, the Fixup Mini amp will be smaller, since it puts the amp and 3xAAA for power into a 4xAAA battery case. A 2x9V amp+battery setup is larger.

The Fixup amp may sound better, too, though it's kind of a tossup between a better topology and more voltage to play with -- 4.5V and Jung multiloop on one side, 9V and straight opamp-driving-headphones on the other. The Fixup amp is forced to use low-voltage chips like the AD823, so I wonder if a CMoy with an AD8620 would actually sound better? Hmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back