Amp required or Not. . . . . .
Jun 10, 2012 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Boeing777

New Head-Fier

Hi Guys and any gals who frequent these superb forums,a very quick question,do either the Audio Technica ATH M50 or the Sennheiser HD380/280 Pro series headphones require amplification with an Ipod Touch?I have had a vast disappointment with some Shure and KRK headphones where the sound is flat and i have had to turn the volume on the Touch to near 3/4 full just to get a decent volume i realize the touch is underpowered but i need to keep the bundle light as possible as i am off of flying duties due to a back injury any ideas or suggestions greatly appreciated from the superb crowd who frequent this great site.Thankyou in advance.

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #2 of 6

Ok i have done some research and it looks like the ATH-M50 is a heavy headphone for portability use so i now would love TMA-1 users to chime in on wether the TMA-1s need amplification or not or are the Sennheiser HD380/280 Pros a better option.

Jun 10, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #3 of 6
The hd-280 are almost identical in form factor to the ath-m50s. The m50sare fantastic headphones, and unless you need to pocket them, I would not be discouraged by size. They're not IEMs, but I've had clunkier headphones. These fold up reasonably well and drop into a backpack easily.

You shouldn't need an amp with either the HD280s or the m50 if your iPod touch is relatively recent. I detected a minute difference between my iPhone 4 and my c421. So the m50s should serve you well in that regard as well.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
The hd-280 are almost identical in form factor to the ath-m50s. The m50sare fantastic headphones, and unless you need to pocket them, I would not be discouraged by size. They're not IEMs, but I've had clunkier headphones. These fold up reasonably well and drop into a backpack easily.
You shouldn't need an amp with either the HD280s or the m50 if your iPod touch is relatively recent. I detected a minute difference between my iPhone 4 and my c421. So the m50s should serve you well in that regard as well.

Mate You are a legend thankyou so much for the kind words of advice.My Ipod touch is 2nd.gen i'm waiting for it to die before upgrading to latest versio but its still in immaculate condition.I'm also intrigued by the Focal Spirit One from a French audio manufacturer as they've got some really positive reviews.

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #5 of 6
Sure thing, i don't think you'd have any problems with a 2nd gen ipod touch. I can try it out later today when i get home, i'm fairly certain i've got a 2nd gen ipod touch somewhere.
And if you shop around the ATH-M50s can be had for a good price too. I believe there was a post in the deals thread a couple days ago.

For the sake of information, there are a couple really small/lightweight/cheap amps/boosters available. For example the fiio e5 or e6, although you probably already know of them. They may not be top-tier amps, but they can take up the slack your ipod may have, and you can drop either of them in your pocket with your ipod touch and a small LOD and hardly notice.

Jun 11, 2012 at 2:07 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Sure thing, i don't think you'd have any problems with a 2nd gen ipod touch. I can try it out later today when i get home, i'm fairly certain i've got a 2nd gen ipod touch somewhere.
And if you shop around the ATH-M50s can be had for a good price too. I believe there was a post in the deals thread a couple days ago.

For the sake of information, there are a couple really small/lightweight/cheap amps/boosters available. For example the fiio e5 or e6, although you probably already know of them. They may not be top-tier amps, but they can take up the slack your ipod may have, and you can drop either of them in your pocket with your ipod touch and a small LOD and hardly notice.

You are the Man!Thankyou again You are correct Sir i have looked into the Fiio amps i have real issues with IEMs as i'm constantly fiddling to get the right fit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back