Amp recommendations for Fostex TH900?
Aug 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM Post #226 of 391
As an HP a8 listener, whats value for money? I mean 25 buck I phone ear bud is that. When in doubt spend, thats my motto, period. If its too much, you might be on the right track, then again i dont have stax or abyss either. cheers.

Aug 16, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #227 of 391
The TH900's looks extremely appealing but I'm surprised there are only two references to pairing them with the the Woo WA7 in a rather lengthy thread.  One comment reflected that the 900's were too bright (surprising but appreciate the input as I've not tried by WA7 with the Fostex's) and the second was that it's good...I think???

Is there anyone that can comment on the TH900 / Woo WA7 combo based on direct experience?  

I really enjoy the Woo.  I have upgraded tubes for it (Electro Harmonix gold tips) and after many many hours of listening, haven't even bothered rolling them as I find it so pleasing as is.  

Thanks in advance to anyone that can comment on their personal experience.

HS

Aug 16, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #228 of 391
The TH900's looks extremely appealing but I'm surprised there are only two references to pairing them with the the Woo WA7 in a rather lengthy thread.  One comment reflected that the 900's were too bright (surprising but appreciate the input as I've not tried by WA7 with the Fostex's) and the second was that it's good...I think???

Is there anyone that can comment on the TH900 / Woo WA7 combo based on direct experience?  

I really enjoy the Woo.  I have upgraded tubes for it (Electro Harmonix gold tips) and after many many hours of listening, haven't even bothered rolling them as I find it so pleasing as is.  

Thanks in advance to anyone that can comment on their personal experience.

HS

AnakChan and a few others compared it in the extremely long TH900 Impressions thread.

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM Post #229 of 391
AnakChan and a few others compared it in the extremely long TH900 Impressions thread.

Thank you for the kind heads-up, Byrnie.  I've got some work to do this weekend...that thread is up to 517 pages 
blink.gif

Sam

Aug 16, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #230 of 391
Thank you for the kind heads-up, Byrnie.  I've got some work to do this weekend...that thread is up to 517 pages :blink:

Sam

Yea I just finished the thread recently so feel free to ask me if you have any questions via pm.

**I have heard the combo myself at a recent audio show.

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:42 AM Post #233 of 391
  would love to try a few, however not going to be possible in the UAE, except for Auralic Taurus and Naim Headline 

You're in UAE? I'm in Dubai - just picked up a Resonessence Herus from Singapore. I also have a Sony PHA-1 and an AudioQuest Dragonfly - notice mostly portable stuff, given that I travel quite a bit.

if you want to audition them, drop me a PM, I work in the Dubai Media City area :wink:

Oct 20, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #234 of 391
  I am Looking to Buy Fostex TH 900 and i have some ideas on the AMP to match 
PC win 8.1 JRIVER 19  Bifrost Uber MIT using USB is the front end 

here is the list just outline any big no no and any big +ves

Schitts Asgard 2   249 USD
Buson Soloist      1000 USD
Burson Soloist SL  600 USD
Auralic Taurus      1700 USD
Fostex HPA A8C  1500 USD

any direction will be greatfully recieved 

Try the Resonessence Herus. Just picked up one, and paired with with the Effect Audio USB interconnect. Sounded pretty damn good, though bordering on bright at times. Insane detail, sound stage, and really brings the TH900 to life

Oct 21, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #235 of 391
I really don't like Burson amps with TH900, but for HD800 I like it.
Burson makes TH900 too muddy imo, I prefer more neutral amps like Oppo.

Maybe Taurus/A8C will be a better choice than Burson.

Oct 21, 2014 at 8:23 AM Post #237 of 391
So let's put it all over the map then and have a vote for hpa8. Pretty true, maybe a tinch wet, and lets through a question out in reverse. How does hd800 sound on hpa8? Anyone?

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:45 PM Post #238 of 391
I have come full circle in my search for a desktop DAC/amp for my TH900 and am back trying to decide between the HP-A8C and the OPPO HA-1.   I like the aesthetics of both but, of course, the sound is the thing.   I will be looking through this thread this evening for more posts on these units but was hoping that someone had used both and can offer some advice.  Other things to consider when providing advice---I will most likely be getting a pair of Audeze LCD-X to use with this DAC/amp in the future as well as some powered monitor speakers.  Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Dave

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #239 of 391
I've got the HP-A8C, it pairs with the th900's very well - albeit I think it's a tad short on power (approx 700mW @32 ohms). I tried out the Burson Conductor with ESS Sabre and found it's amp section to be fantastic! The HA-1 uses the same DAC, and has almost the same power - but with lower impedance. 

I'm in the same boat. I just re-purchased the th900's for a bed-side rig, and am working through amp options. 

HP-A8 - pros: great DAC, already have it. Made for th900s. cons: meh amp power, would have to rob my office setup. 
HA-1 - pros: powerful & clean. Looks great, low impedence. cons: sabre DAC is detailed, but very neutral. Would need to re-terminate balanced to get full power. 
Burson Conductor with Burr Brown DAC - pros: great amp section, burr brown dac is warm & musical. cons: dac isn't as detailed as sabre. 25-step attenuator isn't great. 
Burson Conduction Virtuoso w/ BB DAC - pros: great amp, warm dac, 100-step attenuator, remote. cons: same as above, except for upgraded attenuator. 
*note: Burson offers swap & play DAC boards. $350 for the Sabre, $250 for the Burr Brown. It's essentially cheaper to buy the BB version and get the Sabre later. 

Off the list: 
Peachtree Decco65SE - pros: resolving Sabre DAC with tube in signal path (warmer sound), good clean power (1200mW @32ohms), drives speakers too. cons: headphone output impedance too high for th900s (it's 4.7 ohm, and the th900's need 1/8th of 25ohms, or less than 3.12ohm).

Woo Audio WA7 - pros: nice tube amp, small, handsome. cons: not the most resolving DAC, not a step-up in power (approx 750mW @35ohm), is better with more costly tube power supply.  

Chord Hugo - pros: DAC gets lots of love, small, trans-portable, good battery life. Super expensive. Looks like a toy (IMHO). Many question it's DAC abilities & cost/value. 

Might look at again:
CEntrance hifi m8. I actually have no idea how much power this puts out (not clear by website), nor what DAC chip it uses. Does full power come SE, Balanced, or both?

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #240 of 391
Thanks, the-kraken--

I really want to keep things less than $1200.  Yes, I probably like the looks and the swiss-army knife functionality of the HA-1 but I just bought an OPPO BDP-105 and I believe that uses the same DAC as the HA-1.   The HP-A8C has really dropped in price and is extremely tempting.....just not sure how it would pair with other headphones/portable speakers.  I think I am talking myself into the HP-A8C.

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back