Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 8, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #5,236 of 9,207
The watts thing depends.  Some are total bs numbers used to decieve and sell black plastic boxes.  But others, the good stuff, is usually in some way marked truthfully.

The digital part is a non-issue if you use a dac. 
My marantz is plug and play with my computer same as the Yamaha.  Both take the LR RCA cables into the Aux port simple as that.
If there is no stand alone DAC in your system, then the soundcard, cd player or ipod, all have a built in DAC that does the conversion, still feeding an analog signal to your amplifier.

Luckily my only modern unit(the Yamaha) has a fairly nice phono section for what it is.
Im preparing to rebuild/mod my Marantz 2245 phono board with some nice quality components, upgrading and replacing caps, replacing a few key transistors with a nice matched pair and new high quality diodes.
We shall see how the Yamaha stands up to the Marantz with vinyl after the operation.

Jan 8, 2013 at 8:25 PM Post #5,237 of 9,207
One thing I found is it's expensive and necessary to refurb that old equipment. But those things were built to last and if you take care of it then it should last a long time, unlike newer stuff. And it's also getting easier to find old amps and the huge speakers to go with them now that so many people are moving on to surround sound.
tongue_smile.gif

But on the flip side, those receivers are not energy efficient, very heavy and usually have no remote. Also there are usually only 2 tape inputs and a phono input, which leaves little room for all my goodies. My sansui 7070 is 35 lbs., more than most new stereo systems and including speakers.

My little Musical Fidelity V-Can 1 powers my YH-100 orthodynamic headphone, HD-540 (300ohm version) and k-701 with ease and low noise. I paid $75- with shipping on eBay for it. It's light, efficient and powerful. My only issue is that there is no on/off switch. I wish someone could tell me why this is not a more popular amp?

Jan 8, 2013 at 9:24 PM Post #5,239 of 9,207
Burson Soloist. I know that they had Orthos in mind when designing and voicing it.  It's detailed and Oh so smooth!

Jan 9, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #5,240 of 9,207
Quote:

My little Musical Fidelity V-Can 1 powers my YH-100 orthodynamic headphone, HD-540 (300ohm version) and k-701 with ease and low noise. I paid $75- with shipping on eBay for it. It's light, efficient and powerful. My only issue is that there is no on/off switch. I wish someone could tell me why this is not a more popular amp?

I've not heard the Vcan but had the Xcan v3 and that was a great amp. I do however still own and use the original V-dac1 and it's a fine performer. An incredible performer for what you would pay for one now.

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:17 AM Post #5,241 of 9,207
I just got my lcd-2's in the mail today, and I plugged them up to my NFB 15.1 that I used with my Denon D5000's, and honestly, I was a little depressed by the amount of bass (or lack there of) in these headphones.
Could it just be the amp?
I've gotten a recommendation to get a schiit bifrost+lyr combo and to add in nationals or something of the like to give it a really booming bass feel..
my current setup is just foobar2k->usb to 15.1 as a dac/amp.
i've got around 6-700$  leftover to spend on a dac and an amp, so what can I get to really give me that bass that rattles my body!
i listen to a whole lot of electronic/house music, and I got the LCD-2's because everyone said they were hands down the absolute best for this genre of music.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:55 AM Post #5,242 of 9,207
Nothing gives a big booming bass like the Denons.
The LCD's are more big quality bass without the boom. Thats what you are paying the money for - better quality.

Jan 11, 2013 at 11:30 AM Post #5,244 of 9,207
Jan 11, 2013 at 11:52 AM Post #5,245 of 9,207
Quote:
I just got my lcd-2's in the mail today, and I plugged them up to my NFB 15.1 that I used with my Denon D5000's, and honestly, I was a little depressed by the amount of bass (or lack there of) in these headphones.
I've gotten a recommendation to get a schiit bifrost+lyr combo and to add in nationals or something of the like to give it a really booming bass feel..
i've got around 6-700$  leftover to spend on a dac and an amp, so what can I get to really give me that bass that rattles my body!
i listen to a whole lot of electronic/house music, and I got the LCD-2's because everyone said they were hands down the absolute best for this genre of music.

I woukd give them a little time and you may come to appreciate the quality of bass rather than the quantity. The Denons are famous for coloured and boomy bass. I love EDM on the LCD2's way better than my old Denon d2000

Jan 11, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #5,247 of 9,207
Quote:
I woukd give them a little time and you may come to appreciate the quality of bass rather than the quantity. 

Yep. In spades.

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #5,248 of 9,207
Quote:

Maybe they won't boom like the Dennons, but in theory they should handle all the other frequency details better when the boom hits. If you want bass you use woofers. If you want to hear all the frequencies without one distorting the other, I think LCD2 should be a top pick. Some burn-in may help, or amp may be the problem too. Some amp/dac combos can run with just usb power, but if it's not plugged in using power-supply adapter, that's recommended and necessary when powering bigger headphones. I looked up the amp, some info here and website below for experts, which I'm not one
[size=x-small]Output power
Only for headphone.
[/size]

[size=x-small]3500mW/25 ohm
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

[/size]
[size=x-small]Output impedance[/size] [size=x-small]2 ohm /  Headphone output
2 ohm / DAC output
[/size]

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15/NFB15EN_Specs.htm

Jan 11, 2013 at 5:51 PM Post #5,249 of 9,207
Quote:
Maybe they won't boom like the Dennons, but in theory they should handle all the other frequency details better when the boom hits. If you want bass you use woofers. If you want to hear all the frequencies without one distorting the other, I think LCD2 should be a top pick. Some burn-in may help though or amp may be the problem too. But I'm no expert,

[size=x-small]Output power
Only for headphone.
[/size]

[size=x-small]3500mW/25 ohm
1800mW/50 ohm
900mW/100 ohm
300mW/300 ohm
150mW/600 ohm

[/size]
[size=x-small]Output impedance[/size] [size=x-small]2 ohm /  Headphone output
2 ohm / DAC output
[/size]

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB15/NFB15EN_Specs.htm

Yeah thats more than enough power for the LCD2 to sing comfortably. Audio gd is an aquired taste for some as they favour musicality over analytical in my limited experience, but they certainly make great gear for the money.   

Users who are viewing this thread

Back