Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 4, 2011 at 5:51 AM Post #3,496 of 9,207
i believe this is directed at me ... for those who caught my ill-fated words, my apologies .. my attempt at sarca-humour was thoughtfully excised by currawong since it contributes nothing to the overriding spirit of this thread & there were other issues on my mind.

& i heartily support your position of relaying whatever info you can, kremer930... and that, i suppose, is the criterion... info.. facts, not suppositions ... so it's likely to be a fine line between pleasing the peanut gallery (us) and avoiding the wrath of the designer/manufacturer (them ****** audio guys) by too-early releasal of key-design facets.  

No problems at at Geetarman. I guessed you were joking. Sorry if I didn't pic the correct smiley face to infer such.

Cheers

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #3,497 of 9,207
Speculating that it will have balanced inputs if not XLR outputs to accommodate Schiit's upcoming mid-tier balanced DAC
bigsmile_face.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:42 AM Post #3,498 of 9,207
This amp will be in line with the statement DAC. Balanced is a given at this level.

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #3,500 of 9,207
What is that? It's obviously less than Schiit. :)

Both the mid and top Schiit dacs have been announced as having balanced inputs.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #3,501 of 9,207
Neither the Cavalli Liquid Fire or the RWA Audeze Edition Isabellina have balanced outs.

I actually personally don't have much interest in balanced. Amps that must be used balanced to sound their best are not amps I personally buy. But that is just my personal bias. I don't believe the dogma behind "balanced" headphones.

That said, I have balanced cables for both the LCD-2 and the HE-6, so that I can test them with balanced amps I review. The main amps I actually own and use are SE, though. I have not ever heard the LCD-2 sound better balanced than it does SE.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #3,502 of 9,207

Quote:
Neither the Cavalli Liquid Fire or the RWA Audeze Edition Isabellina have balanced outs.

I actually personally don't have much interest in balanced. Amps that must be used balanced to sound their best are not amps I personally buy. But that is just my personal bias. I don't believe the dogma behind "balanced" headphones.

That said, I have balanced cables for both the LCD-2 and the HE-6, so that I can test them with balanced amps I review. The main amps I actually own and use are SE, though. I have not ever heard the LCD-2 sound better balanced than it does SE.

That's very good to know when considering the LCD-2. I have the LF on my mind as well as the LCD-2 and the LF is not balanced--But the WA22 is! :)

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #3,503 of 9,207
All my amps are single ended, and I don't personally feel that a "balanced amp" is neccessary to make anything sound its best.  In some cases I am not convinced its better at all, for the application that most of us have.

Aug 4, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3,504 of 9,207
kremer 930..

I welcome the news, as long as it accurate as possible, honest and above board...its good to know new stuff is coming...but its always coming from someone.
Coming from Schiit though we all hope they will continue to offer world class performance at an affordable price. I think they will. (fingers crossed)...

But again todays good stuff will be still good tomorrow but the new stuff might be better???

Sounds like a Snapple commercial!

Alex
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #3,505 of 9,207
The balanced capability of the Schiit will be my first foray into balanced as well.  From my point of view it is good to have the choice of both and I do know that it costs a lot more to produce an amp which is fully balanced.  So great to get it included at a reasonable cost.

To get this thread back on track...how many users have tried the LCD2 with a balanced rig, with or without a balanced source?

I had in mind that balanced was going to be better especially given the power capability of the LCD's and that balanced amps, generally being able to produce double the voltage, should really grab hold of the drivers to produce a more accurate sound.  I admit that I dont know much at all on this subject.

Thoughts?

Cheers

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:50 PM Post #3,506 of 9,207
Quote:
I am finding more enjoyment with the later issue HD800 (s/n 109xx) than the earlier issue HD800 (s/n 14xx).

I always wanted to try HD800 later issue, I heard Senn increase the bass by +3 dB, that sounds about right, but how about the infamous hot treble, are they still there?

Side question, Skylab, what S/N is your HD800?

Quote:
I do sometimes appreciate a bit of colour over neutrality, so I have the predecessor to the Liquid Fire here for that (the Stacker II). It also throws a good, wide soundstage and has a bit more kick in the bass.

Quote:
Needless to say, both amps are very much loved by me in my rig. 

Amos, Sachu, Since you have the LF and other higher end gear, are you selling your Stacker II  to me  
biggrin.gif
.  C'mon, Stacker II is nothing for you
wink.gif

Quote:

I like that :)  Balanced, to me, may add dynamics, but the signal also has to go twice the path, twice the components as it is with SE, that, would definitely affect the sound some way or another.

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #3,507 of 9,207
[size=medium]Once upon a time, Sansui was[/size][size=medium] a mere transformer manufacturer.  It was natural progress that Sansui started manufacturing amplifiers and tuners in its early history.[/size]

Hmm, it turns out that a company that produce only Transformer earlier on would transform itself to a great Amplifier company, one other is the Leben.

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3,508 of 9,207
I have considered it very seriously...selling the stacker 2 that is. And i might still..will keep you posted if that happens. 

Quote:
Amos, Sachu, Since you have the LF and other higher end gear, are you selling your Stacker II  to me   
biggrin.gif
 .  C'mon, Stacker II is nothing for you 
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #3,509 of 9,207

Quote:
The balanced capability of the Schiit will be my first foray into balanced as well.  From my point of view it is good to have the choice of both and I do know that it costs a lot more to produce an amp which is fully balanced.  So great to get it included at a reasonable cost.

To get this thread back on track...how many users have tried the LCD2 with a balanced rig, with or without a balanced source?

I had in mind that balanced was going to be better especially given the power capability of the LCD's and that balanced amps, generally being able to produce double the voltage, should really grab hold of the drivers to produce a more accurate sound.  I admit that I dont know much at all on this subject.

Thoughts?

Cheers

I run the LCD-2 through a balanced source and amp, however I did not buy them because they were balanced. I do not believe in balanced being better than single ended as I've heard the LCD-2 through both and the differences were attributed to the amp or source; not because one was balanced or unbalanced.

Aug 5, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #3,510 of 9,207

Quote:
I always wanted to try HD800 later issue, I heard Senn increase the bass by +3 dB, that sounds about right, but how about the infamous hot treble, are they still there?

It doesn't seem as hot, but that could be because of the different overall frequency balance. Also I have improved my source since then and am using different tubes in my amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back