Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 28, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #1,444 of 9,207
Audio GD Phoenix is fully discrete? At last I've found another one! I think the Schiit Asgard is too, yes?

I'm trying to avoid Op-Amps, but it seems that quite a few manufactures use them. I know that Op-Amps can be implemented well, but I'm after a quality, fully discrete amp...if many still exist. What other fully-discrete headphone amps do you know of Bebop?

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #1,445 of 9,207

Quote:
The right solid state amp is on the market and its the Meir Concerto which was and is still the best solid state I have heard to date outclassing many more more expensive amps I have heard.  

What amps have you heard?

Jan 28, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #1,446 of 9,207
Most amps that are fully discrete will list it as a feature or marketing bullet point somewhere.

For example the phoenix page on audio-gd's website begins with "[size=x-small]Summarize:[/size][size=x-small] [/size][size=x-small]Fully discrete"[/size]
and the asgard page starts with "Asgard is a fully discrete"...

I know the b22 and a20 are fully discrete, and if you are into diy a b22 could be made for about the same as a phoenix, with probably worse casework, or the a20 could probably be made to be quite cheap.  I am making a pre-amp based around the a20 but due to my laziness in acquiring an attenuator and case I have yet to actually listen to it yet...

This is not counting your own manual labor though in the cost.  I think my balanced b22 sounds great with the LCD-2s but I must admit I've never heard the phoenix, v200 or asgard to compare it to.

Jan 28, 2011 at 9:42 PM Post #1,448 of 9,207

Quote:
Quote:
The right solid state amp is on the market and its the Meir Concerto which was and is still the best solid state I have heard to date outclassing many more more expensive amps I have heard.  

What amps have you heard?

B22,Matrix<aAsgard and the Concerto also Gilmore Light and the Concerto was best with the LCD2and also had the PS audio GCHA

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:03 AM Post #1,450 of 9,207
Quote:
Thanks Bebop.  One more fully discrete will be Burson 160?

Depending on where you sit on the 'fully discrete' issue, potentially bad news I'm afraid. If the following link is correct, the Burson 160 is most definitely an Opamp design. CLICK HERE.

I'll hazard a guess: manufactures use Opamps because they are cheaper, require less substantial power supplies, have a smaller footprint (ie the casework is smaller) and use less power than a fully discrete solid state amp. Then, they can add some expensive other 'bits' and put the whole shebang into a groovy case.

The fully discrete, solid state Schiit Asgard is looking more and more like an audio bargain.

Jan 29, 2011 at 6:39 AM Post #1,451 of 9,207
I'm informed that the Burson, technically, it IS an OPAMP design, but rather than a chip or chips, it uses an OPAMP circuit made from discrete components.

Jan 29, 2011 at 7:18 AM Post #1,453 of 9,207
Quote:
I'm informed that the Burson, technically, it IS an OPAMP design, but rather than a chip or chips, it uses an OPAMP circuit made from discrete components.

Quote:
The Naked Truth About Opamp
 I still love the sound of my IC-based amp, but this makes sense.

When is an Opamp not an Opamp? When it is a Discrete Opamp. Thanks for the very interesting follow-on, Currowong and Zilch. However, I can't help but feeling that a Discrete Opamp is like being a little bit pregnant. Either you is or you ain't.

I wonder if the Violectric is one of these Discrete Opamp designs?

Jan 29, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #1,454 of 9,207
hopefully someone can help me with this question about the decware taboo. I was thinking of getting this along with the lcd's but was wondering what the sound signature was like. I only know about the lcd's through the knowledge of other members and want to take the plunge but need to find an amp to compliment them. Information I have received second - hand from members note transparency but also state that the treble is recessed and they also note a somewhat narrow soundstage.

I don't particularly need exaggerated treble because I am sensitive to higher frequencies but do like to have good detail. But I do have to admit, I like an expansive soundstage when I am listening to classical or some of my live recordings so I can feel like I'm there. Therein lies my question, would the decaware taboo be able to add to these two aspects so as to compensate and compliment the lcd's?

I have heard diverse opinions concerning the perfect amp for the lcd's and am also considering the stage dac/ concerto combo with enough information about the sound signature that it provides. Also, I am looking forward to the Lyr and dac combo schiit will be coming out with once the reviews start coming out.

Beforehand i would like to thank you guys for the invaluable information you guys provide and have really come to love the quest for audio nirvana. BTW my wife hates you guys LOL. Thanks again.

Jan 29, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #1,455 of 9,207
A perfect amp for the LCD2 would something that sounds clean, perhaps to the brighter side, and provides ample of current. 

I still don't like the Concerto with the LCD2 no matter what people say here. The Burson HA160 does a much better job.

Also wrong headphone to buy if you're looking for an expansive soundstage. HD800 or Stax Lambda would perfectly fit that bill. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back