Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 11, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #9,166 of 9,207
The best aspect of the LCD2 is its capability of performing natural sound. I don't want to pair the LCD2 with amps and dacs that sound artificially.
The Schiit multibits have quite natural timbre and euphoric sound but there are too much good things when paired with my LCD2 sometimes. Because they are v-shape and dull sounding
I like pairing my LCD2 with dac with Burr-Brown or pcm chip inside and Class A amps but YMMV

May 15, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #9,167 of 9,207
yo guys, about to receive tomorow my LCD 2 CLASSIC, using with RME ADI 2 DAC FS, anyone have this comb? hows the pairing? any eq reccomendations?
have F. Clears now, wanna try planars
thanks!!
I don't know this amp but I know the LCD2fazor. If you like bass then it helps to compensate the roll-off that you'll probably experience compared to the clears: https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/audeze/lcd-2-classic/

You might want to dial in a bit of 'bite' in the upper mids as well as you can see. Planars take very well to EQ, so have fun with that if you enjoy tweaking.

The best aspect of the LCD2 is its capability of performing natural sound. I don't want to pair the LCD2 with amps and dacs that sound artificially.
The Schiit multibits have quite natural timbre and euphoric sound but there are too much good things when paired with my LCD2 sometimes. Because they are v-shape and dull sounding
I like pairing my LCD2 with dac with Burr-Brown or pcm chip inside and Class A amps but YMMV
I can vouch for burrbrown based DACs, I still use one to this day that I bought in 2014. I am now looking at maybe an upgrade to a topping D70s, but sadly I can't demo.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #9,168 of 9,207
Yea thanks @spookanide
Out of box, the sound was trash compared to F. Clears.
With EQ, I literally cant believe what they are capable of.
Using this + additional BB function so of total about +11db BB, playing giga loud, playing bassboosted song and they still hold it... its insane!
Especialy this:

Attachments

• 20210515_154342.jpg
    20210515_154342.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210512_174611.jpg
    20210512_174611.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
May 15, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #9,169 of 9,207
Yea thanks @spookanide
Out of box, the sound was trash compared to F. Clears.
With EQ, I literally cant believe what they are capable of.
Using this + additional BB function so of total about +11db BB, playing giga loud, playing bassboosted song and they still hold it... its insane!
Especialy this:

I think all LCD lines lacking the high mids range and already having plenty of bass? The Focal Clear is the headphone that I want the most to add to my headphone collection now

May 15, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #9,170 of 9,207
I think all LCD lines lacking the high mids range and already having plenty of bass? The Focal Clear is the headphone that I want the most to add to my headphone collection now

Yea man..
I just wanted to sold F. Clears bcs "i want that audeze bassssss".
but...I just put Clears on my head again and holy *** those details.....
The only reason I want to swap Clears for LCDX (yea i want to spend more then 2C to be more satysfied....) is the capability of planars to handle EVERYTHING I want...

BUT.. the Clears detail......

So Im hoping the X can do both things for me...

May 15, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #9,171 of 9,207
Yea man..
I just wanted to sold F. Clears bcs "i want that audeze bassssss".
but...I just put Clears on my head again and holy *** those details.....
The only reason I want to swap Clears for LCDX (yea i want to spend more then 2C to be more satysfied....) is the capability of planars to handle EVERYTHING I want...

BUT.. the Clears detail......

So Im hoping the X can do both things for me...
Yeah understood bro. But I don’t know your RME dac+amp combo can push out the Audeze known bass. Planar headphones are strange when it comes to power vs bass quality. Some headamps that have huge power and impressive snr number cannot give my LCD2 the sound quality from the “lower-specs” headamps

Last edited:
May 16, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #9,172 of 9,207
Yeah understood bro. But I don’t know your RME dac+amp combo can push out the Audeze known bass. Planar headphones are strange when it comes to power vs bass quality. Some headamps that have huge power and impressive snr number cannot give my LCD2 the sound quality from the “lower-specs” headamps
I think yes, I can have head massage from 20-100hz and still hear clean sound from 100 to xxx Hz :p...

But yea I know that... external amp is also on my wish list... probably Burson Soloist 3XP :)

May 21, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #9,173 of 9,207
So what are your suggested amps you own/tried?

May 21, 2021 at 2:34 AM Post #9,174 of 9,207
Out of the box LCD-2F with new pads (2021) powered by WA6SE. I changed the Rectifier tube from a GZ32 to a GZ34 Brown base. The Bass definitely woke up after. Has more Bass than HD660S in regards to quantity and quality. Dare I say, it's on the same level as a Rev 2.2 Pre Fazor I had (powered by V200 then).

Or, the new pads are starting to form a better seal. Will change the Rectifier again later on.

Jul 23, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #9,176 of 9,207
Writing here again to chime in. I upgraded to a ifi neo idsd DAC going into the ican SE, both with the power supply upgrade. This setup rocks if you want to keep that warmer tone. I also demo'd the Violectric V200 with this as the DAC and that is my next upgrade goal.
Gobs of power, gobs of drive and dynamics. My current setup comes close with the 1 bass up tick on the ican.
20210722_212257.jpg

Attachments

• 20210722_212317.jpg
    20210722_212317.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20210722_212342.jpg
    20210722_212342.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Jul 23, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #9,177 of 9,207
Absolutely love the LCD 2F with my McIntosh MHA200, the MHA200's accuracy and neutrality are a nice complement to the LCD-2's warmth IMHO. However, buying an amp that costs more than your cans doesn't make a ton of sense....so a cheaper Schiit amp (Jotunheim) probably makes more sense.

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #9,179 of 9,207
Makes quite the difference, doesn't it :sunglasses: ?
Haven't exactly done AB, but I'd say it's worth it as an affordable little step in the sound improvement. Seems to make the background quieter on the iCAN and I haven't even heard the neo without it lol. If you like the sound as it is, then it's worth improving it even a little.

Aug 2, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #9,180 of 9,207
Seems to make the background quieter on the iCAN

Exactly. Background quietness, better instrumental separation, smoother sound and less grit are the benefits of clean power in general.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/iFiAudio/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back