Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
May 11, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #9,151 of 9,207
Anyone using Bifrost 2 and Asgard 3 with their LCD-2f? I’m looking for an amp/DAC for my set under 1k preferably matching...

Edit: I prefer to buy new...
I used my Asgard 3 MB and LCD-2f's for a while, I have a Bifrost on backorder...

Others have reported that the MB card on the Asgard 3 sounds more veiled than the Asgard 3/Bifrost, though the essential qualities and tonality are very similar. I think the A3/BF is a great combination, with which you probably can't go wrong with LCD-2fs.

With that said, I upgraded my Asgard 3 to a McIntosh MHA200, it's a profound improvement with the LCD-2f, deeper base, more refined highs, and the best midrange I've ever heard (it better be - the MHA200 costs 6x what an Asgard 3 MB costs...and the Schiit has a built in DAC)!

May 11, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #9,152 of 9,207
I used my Asgard 3 MB and LCD-2f's for a while, I have a Bifrost on backorder...

Others have reported that the MB card on the Asgard 3 sounds more veiled than the Asgard 3/Bifrost, though the essential qualities and tonality are very similar. I think the A3/BF is a great combination, with which you probably can't go wrong with LCD-2fs.

With that said, I upgraded my Asgard 3 to a McIntosh MHA200, it's a profound improvement with the LCD-2f, deeper base, more refined highs, and the best midrange I've ever heard (it better be - the MHA200 costs 6x what an Asgard 3 MB costs...and the Schiit has a built in DAC)!
How good is the mha 200 ?

May 11, 2021 at 3:08 PM Post #9,153 of 9,207
11 years and you haven’t concluded what a good amp is for lcd2?

May 11, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #9,154 of 9,207
How good is the mha 200 ?
Not many reviews out yet, since McIntosh had delays in their supply chain (like almost everyone else) and the Release was only this month.

The little Feedback we have So far, says it's incredible tho!

May 11, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #9,155 of 9,207
11 years and you haven’t concluded what a good amp is for lcd2?
I know right? I'm just kind of looking for like a "tried and true" option that will get some decent results. I'm surprised there is no consensus. It seems that the "best" options are: Gugnir/moljnir combo or Monoprice Liquid platinum some people liked the Burson Soloist... I don't get it like I shouldn't need to spend more than the headphones themselves when they get loud enough off of a phone. I think JDS Atom could work... but it's quite cheap and plastic... kind of annoying that there are 600 pages but no consensus.

May 11, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #9,156 of 9,207
I know right? I'm just kind of looking for like a "tried and true" option that will get some decent results. I'm surprised there is no consensus. It seems that the "best" options are: Gugnir/moljnir combo or Monoprice Liquid platinum some people liked the Burson Soloist... I don't get it like I shouldn't need to spend more than the headphones themselves when they get loud enough off of a phone. I think JDS Atom could work... but it's quite cheap and plastic... kind of annoying that there are 600 pages but no consensus.
Well there are tons of options and the headphones are of high enough quality that you can hear improvements in the chain.

Also in 11 years a lot of gear has been released.
As a rough recommendation that should be in the Budget of most LCD-2 users I'd Name
Schiit Bifrost 2 + Schiit Jotunheim 2
If you want EQ throw a Schiit Loki+ in there as well.

Of course you can spend more and get even better sound or spend less and still have something good.
The named mid tier Schiit stack is already delivering great performance though.

May 11, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #9,157 of 9,207
May 11, 2021 at 5:25 PM Post #9,158 of 9,207
well then ill throw down for fun. GSX MK2 is awesome, with anything. although don't own lcd2

May 11, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #9,159 of 9,207
Also in 11 years a lot of gear has been released.
As a rough recommendation that should be in the Budget of most LCD-2 users I'd Name
Schiit Bifrost 2 + Schiit Jotunheim 2
That's fair. I've been considering that combo for a while - it does seem like a good option although I'm pretty torn on the Bifrost... do you have direct experience with the combo? (I'm concerned mainly that it might be a little smooth/warm for the LCD-2). It seems people who have it absolutely love it but people who are critical cite poor measurements. A rep from Audeze said he likes the Chord Mojo and that would be a step up over entry-level DACs/Amps but it's looking like Chord might be releasing something new soon. Hard to say whether Chord will have something new before I would receive the backordered Jot/Bifrost combo.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 5:34 PM Post #9,160 of 9,207
That's fair. I've been considering that combo for a while it does seem like a good option although I'm pretty torn on the Bifrost... do you have direct experience with the combo? (I'm concerned mainly that it might be a little smooth/warm for the LCD-2). It seems people who have it absolutely love it but people who are critical cite poor measurements. A rep from Audeze said he likes the Chord Mojo and that would be a step up over entry-level DACs/Amps but it's looking like Chord might be releasing something new soon. Hard to say whether Chord will have something new before I would receive the backordered Jot/Bifrost combo.
So Schiit Multibit/Ladder DACs and Chord DACs sit on two opposite ends of a typical Head-Fi argument, with "subjective listening" folks preferring Schiit Multibit and "measurement" folks preferring the Chord (Qutest, Mojo, etc.). The Chord is sometimes considered a bit dry by the subjective folks. As with everything, listen for yourself and decide...

May 11, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #9,161 of 9,207
That's fair. I've been considering that combo for a while - it does seem like a good option although I'm pretty torn on the Bifrost... do you have direct experience with the combo? (I'm concerned mainly that it might be a little smooth/warm for the LCD-2). It seems people who have it absolutely love it but people who are critical cite poor measurements. A rep from Audeze said he likes the Chord Mojo and that would be a step up over entry-level DACs/Amps but it's looking like Chord might be releasing something new soon. Hard to say whether Chord will have something new before I would receive the backordered Jot/Bifrost combo.
I don't have direct experience, however many here have and it even seems to be a General consensus that they are phenomenal at that price.
I don't Think that it will be too smooth or warm with the LCD 2 unless you dont like the LCD 2 to begin with and want a bright headphone like a focal clear.

Personally the smoother Sound would be a reason for me to get it.
A crisper/brighter alternative for the same price would be a Topping D90 + A90 stack, if you're really concerned

May 11, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #9,162 of 9,207
concerning chord, start at TT, work your way up. It’s throaty enough in the low end that you can’t get with the portables, hugo mojo

May 11, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #9,163 of 9,207
I don't have direct experience, however many here have and it even seems to be a General consensus that they are phenomenal at that price.
I don't Think that it will be too smooth or warm with the LCD 2 unless you dont like the LCD 2 to begin with and want a bright headphone like a focal clear.

Personally the smoother Sound would be a reason for me to get it.
A crisper/brighter alternative for the same price would be a Topping D90 + A90 stack, if you're really concerned
I EQ (boosting sub-bass, upper mids and lowering treble) so I'm not too concerned about it affecting the tonality. I'm mainly concerned with how it will affect the technical aspects. I bought the LCD-2 because I find it has excellent dynamics, detail, separation. Ideally I'd find something that enhances those characteristics while leaving the tonality more or less where it is.

May 11, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #9,164 of 9,207
I EQ (boosting sub-bass, upper mids and lowering treble) so I'm not too concerned about it affecting the tonality. I'm mainly concerned with how it will affect the technical aspects. I bought the LCD-2 because I find it has excellent dynamics, detail, separation. Ideally I'd find something that enhances those characteristics while leaving the tonality more or less where it is.
Then the Schiit stack is amazing.
Also depending on how you EQ the analogue Schiit Loki could give a cleaner result in maintaining technical aspects.

From my experience Software EQ often comes at a loss of sound quality.

May 11, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #9,165 of 9,207
Amps I have heard the LCD-2.2 with. I am guessing the Classic would be similar.

Studio 6
WA6SE
V200
WA22
Burson (can’t remember the model)
O2
April Music Eximus
MDAC

Studio 6 and WA6SE were very very good. Excellent grip on the Bass with good extension. April Music Eximus was amazing but I heard a Rev 1 with it. V200 is too soft with rolled off highs. WA22 was a mess - too soft even in balanced mode. Sounded ok with 7236 tubes. Burson and MDAC were really good but I am a Toob man.

Neutral or with a touch a warmth and decent power is what I would look for to power the LCD-2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back