Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Aug 29, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #8,132 of 9,207
Simple question here : Is the Schiit Asgard 2 enough to power the LCD-2? I'm planning to get these since everywhere I read reviews it seems it can change the way your listen to music :)

DAC is a Schiit Gungnir.

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:49 PM Post #8,133 of 9,207
Simple question here : Is the Schiit Asgard 2 enough to power the LCD-2? I'm planning to get these since everywhere I read reviews it seems it can change the way your listen to music
smily_headphones1.gif

DAC is a Schiit Gungnir.

By the specs it'll drive them decently. Someone may come along who has one but specs say 1W @ 50ohms so likely around 750mW @ 80ohms.

Aug 29, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #8,134 of 9,207
I'm kind of new to this world so I must admit I have no idea what these numbers represent in real life. It's loud enough ? I don't usually listen to music very loud but I want to be sure before paying 1300$ CND for a pair of headphones :p

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:38 PM Post #8,135 of 9,207
I'm kind of new to this world so I must admit I have no idea what these numbers represent in real life. It's loud enough ? I don't usually listen to music very loud but I want to be sure before paying 1300$ CND for a pair of headphones :p

No worries - yes that's going to get you quite loud :) BTW, one of the beauties of the headphone community is people sell on their gear, usually in very good shape, Used LCD2.2's often run anywhere from Cdn$650 to $800 if you're patient on CanuckAudioMart, mint and with no tax. Here in the Head-Fi classifieds most will be in the U.S. and our dollar is down a bit. Just saying, they don't have to cost you that much. But they are worth it :)

I'd say your amp in on the lower-end power-wise for what I'd ideally recommend, but you're in the zone and it will sound very good. 

Aug 29, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #8,136 of 9,207
My LCD2.2 (no fazors) are driven by an Asgard 2. It does hit the minimum requirements for the headphones, and it drives them pretty well. I'll be upgrading to a mjolnir one day, but that won't be for a long time. In the meantime, the Asgard will be keeping me happy. If you search the LCD2 threads or the LCD2 amp threads, you'll find that many of us are using the Asgard 2 and are having no problems.

Don't quote me, but it probably brings out 80% of my LCD2's potential. To be honest, I'll probably upgrade my DAC first before the Asgard.

Aug 30, 2015 at 9:01 AM Post #8,138 of 9,207
Thanks all ! You reassure me about my amp ! :)

Aug 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM Post #8,140 of 9,207
  Mine are the pre-fazor, and are a very in-close sound, much like the 650. If you want wider the HD-800 or AKG's are good, but very different sounds.

I have LCD-2.2 pre-fazor, too and their 'closed-in sound' bothers me sometimes, especially with various kinds of electronic/soundtrack music. I miss spaciousness/air listening to these genres.
I use Lyr as an amp. I wonder if another amp would help LCD-2 in this regard? Any recommendations?

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #8,142 of 9,207
  I have LCD-2.2 pre-fazor, too and their 'closed-in sound' bothers me sometimes, especially with various kinds of electronic/soundtrack music. I miss spaciousness/air listening to these genres.
I use Lyr as an amp. I wonder if another amp would help LCD-2 in this regard? Any recommendations?

One thing about the 2.2's is they seem to keep their distinctive sound across different amps, and also seem to react less to EQ settings. Some cans are real chameleons and can change dramatically on different amps or EQ settings, but the 2.2's distinctive sound seems to always come through.

I have several amps, but none of them seem to change the soundstage much, even though they may change other factors like texture or the highs. Various DSP effects may be the best route with these if you want to simulate a wider more spacious sound. Just my opinion.

Aug 30, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #8,143 of 9,207
One thing about the 2.2's is they seem to keep their distinctive sound across different amps, and also seem to react less to EQ settings. Some cans are real chameleons and can change dramatically on different amps or EQ settings, but the 2.2's distinctive sound seems to always come through.

I have several amps, but none of them seem to change the soundstage much, even though they may change other factors like texture or the highs. Various DSP effects may be the best route with these if you want to simulate a wider more spacious sound. Just my opinion.

What amps are you driving them with? My friends and I noticed that when you give them more power or run them balanced, it'll open up the sound a bit more, tightens it too. For instance, the schiit mjolnir will do that.

Aug 30, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #8,144 of 9,207
What amps are you driving them with? My friends and I noticed that when you give them more power or run them balanced, it'll open up the sound a bit more, tightens it too. For instance, the schiit mjolnir will do that.

There's three I'll use them with: balanced out of the Bryston BHA-1, single-ended out of the Bottlehead S.E.X, and single-ended out of the Gustard H-10. Out of the three the first two sound best to me.

The Bryston is SS, very detailed and tight. The S.E.X. is more musical with excellent dynamics and texture, and ample power. Both are very very good with it. The Gustard H-10 gives it incredible bass but quite rolled-off highs and reduced detail. Good if you like minimal treble. That's partly a factor of the op-amps in there now.

All three have sufficient power to make them shine.

Edit: yes I'd agree - more power does give it more oomph in the bass but with greater control. The LCD2.2's really handle power well with minimal distortion as you go up in volume, as long as the amp can dish it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back