Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jan 13, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #7,801 of 9,207
I couldn't find a similar thread for DAC for LCD-2 recommendations topic. So let me ask here.

Which DAC, up to $1500, would synergize best with LCD-2 (rev.2) and Bryston BHA-1? 

I was thinking:
Wyred4sound DAC-2
Lavry DA11
Schiit Gungnir
NuForce DAC9
Anedio D2

Could you help me decide? :)

Assuming the BHA-1 sounds exactly like the O2, which it's designer claims it is in a double blind test he did IIRC, Audiolab 8200CD/CDQ/M-DAC. Its multiple digital filters are just amazing. The best non-digitally (aka analogue) sounding digital filters I've heard and studied. If you want digitally, it has that too. What more can you ask for? The DAC chip, the power supply, the implementation, the CD player, the digital inputs, balanced design, the preamp function, it's a complete package. It's only critique is it has no DSD atm. YMMV though, but that's my honest advise.

Jan 13, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #7,802 of 9,207
Assuming the BHA-1 sounds exactly like the O2, which it's designer claims it is in a double blind test he did IIRC, Audiolab 8200CD/CDQ/M-DAC. Its multiple digital filters are just amazing. The best non-digitally (aka analogue) sounding digital filters I've heard and studied. If you want digitally, it has that too. What more can you ask for? The DAC chip, the power supply, the implementation, the CD player, the digital inputs, balanced design, the preamp function, it's a complete package. It's only critique is it has no DSD atm. YMMV though, but that's my honest advise.

Thanks. I've heard good things about Audiolab M-DAC (I don't need CD).

I don't have Bryston yet, but I am about to buy one soon. BHA-1 is supposed to be an amazing pairing with LCD-2. I hope it is much better sounding amp for LCD-2 than O2. Otherwise I would not like to pay more unnecessarily.

Jan 13, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #7,803 of 9,207
Thanks. I've heard good things about Audiolab M-DAC (I don't need CD).

I don't have Bryston yet, but I am about to buy one soon. BHA-1 is supposed to be an amazing pairing with LCD-2. I hope it is much better sounding amp for LCD-2 than O2. Otherwise I would not like to pay more unnecessarily.

Yeah. I have to say, I'm extremely happy with the O2 with both my DacMagic Plus and 8200CD as DACs. The O2 is so transparent with the LCD-2 Rev. 2 that when I first heard the them together it was the first time that I could clearly hear the differences between the different digital filters.

Jan 22, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #7,805 of 9,207
I have the LCD-2.2 (pre-fazor) currently paired with a Yulong DA8. I wanted to get an amp to go with the Yulong and wondering where the cost/benefit ceiling is. I would like to have a fully balanced rig to take full advantage of the DA8 as well as get some improvement on the soundstage of the LCD-2. Sounds like the big hitter, high output amps like the Violectric 281 and Schiit Ragnarok do very well with planars, but are they necessary if we are talking pre-fazor LCD-2? Yulong A28 can be had for quite a bit less, is fully balanced and will throw ~ 2 watts into the LCD-2.2 (not to mention keeping it "in the family"). Is this the "sweet spot" I should be looking at or is higher power going to produce better results? Perhaps a second hand Violectric V200?

Jan 22, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #7,806 of 9,207
I have the LCD-2.2 (pre-fazor) currently paired with a Yulong DA8. I wanted to get an amp to go with the Yulong and wondering where the cost/benefit ceiling is. I would like to have a fully balanced rig to take full advantage of the DA8 as well as get some improvement on the soundstage of the LCD-2. Sounds like the big hitter, high output amps like the Violectric 281 and Schiit Ragnarok do very well with planars, but are they necessary if we are talking pre-fazor LCD-2? Yulong A28 can be had for quite a bit less, is fully balanced and will throw ~ 2 watts into the LCD-2.2 (not to mention keeping it "in the family"). Is this the "sweet spot" I should be looking at or is higher power going to produce better results? Perhaps a second hand Violectric V200?

I would go for the V181 instead: balanced, more power (better bass) and a slightly less smooth sound, which is actually a plus for the LCD2.

For real fireworks, I like the Schitt Mjolnir (balanced output only) though that much excitement could be fatiguing in the long run.

I had a long post on amps for the LCD and other HPs. Just check under my user names about post I started.

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #7,807 of 9,207
I would go for the V181 instead: balanced, more power (better bass) and a slightly less smooth sound, which is actually a plus for the LCD2.

For real fireworks, I like the Schitt Mjolnir (balanced output only) though that much excitement could be fatiguing in the long run.

I had a long post on amps for the LCD and other HPs. Just check under my user names about post I started.

By "less smooth" you mean more grainy? Which could mean more mids and treble details, right?

Jan 22, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #7,809 of 9,207
Jan 23, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #7,810 of 9,207
Thanks. Looks like a neutral balanced amp. Been wondering why the V181 is less popular than the V200. That may be the answer.

The V200 has a smoother midrange than the V181 and a softer treble as well. It is an excellent match for the HD800, reducing its tendency toward a sibilant upper midrange-treble. But with the LCD2/3, the V200 being the more neutral amp has minimal impact on the LCD tendency toward a dark sound many love but that I find too far from neutral--really a personal preference. The V181 being just slightly less refined and a tad brighter but quite a bit more powerful than the V200, is a better match for the LCD2 by providing less caramel-coated sound and better bass.

Jan 23, 2015 at 12:33 AM Post #7,811 of 9,207

Or a V200 clone?
http://www.head-fi.org/t/735828/gustard-h10-high-current-discrete-class-a-output-stage-headphone-amplifier

Jan 23, 2015 at 4:43 AM Post #7,812 of 9,207
Jan 23, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #7,813 of 9,207
The V200 has a smoother midrange than the V181 and a softer treble as well. It is an excellent match for the HD800, reducing its tendency toward a sibilant upper midrange-treble. But with the LCD2/3, the V200 being the more neutral amp has minimal impact on the LCD tendency toward a dark sound many love but that I find too far from neutral--really a personal preference. The V181 being just slightly less refined and a tad brighter but quite a bit more powerful than the V200, is a better match for the LCD2 by providing less caramel-coated sound and better bass.

I am confused. I thought the V200 was the more powerful amp (2700 mW @50 ohms vs. 2100 mW for the V181).

Jan 23, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #7,814 of 9,207
t.
I am confused. I thought the V200 was the more powerful amp (2700 mW @50 ohms vs. 2100 mW for the V181).

I do not recall the power rating of each amp but the main difference as I recall is that the V200 uses more expensive discrete components but is limited to SE operation while the v181 uses IC opamps but is fully balanced and thus more powerful. I have both amps but have not used them for a great while. All I recall is that with the V181 I could play the HE-6 pretty loud while I could not with the V200.

I understand that the new V281 is the V200 balanced and thus with more power. My memory is far from infallible these days but that is what I recall and I am too lazy to look up the specs in the manuals.

UPDATE: If my recollection is correct, the V200 (SE) edges out the V181 (balanced) by about 20% or so in power into 50 ohms. Strangely, the V181 (balanced) produces about 10-20% more power than the V200 at the higher impedance of 600 and 100 ohms and some other impedances I do not recall. It struck me as a strange behavior at the time I read this so the fact stuck in my mind. But I clearly recall that the V200 sounded a little better than the V181 overall but this latter sounded better and more powerful in the balanced mode with the HE-6 than the former limited to only the SE mode. If you use the V181 in SE mode, it will be less powerful than the V200, for sure.

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #7,815 of 9,207
Strongly considering getting these headphones and I'm leaning towards getting a Lyr for them.

Do I also need to buy a DAC to get the most out of the LCD-2? Currently I have a Fiio X3 which I believe can serve as a DAC but maybe an upgrade is necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back