Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Dec 24, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #5,221 of 9,207
Doesn't surprise that an amp twice the price of the 300 is better. :D

I really love Leben gear, but the wife(ish) pretty much never wants to gold faceplates in the house. 

Quote:
I have owned the Leben 300 and the CS 600 and the CS 600 is a FAR beter head amp than the 300. Never head a Cavali - but boy I would love to.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #5,223 of 9,207
I got a Musical Fidelity V-can on eBay for $76- and I couldn't be happier. It can go down to 5ohm and I think it can power any headphone ever made. I paired mine with a new Wyred 4 Sound uDac and AKG K701s, and it's such a good set-up. I use the amp at about 1 third of its total volume for ear blasting sound, but isn't it better to have more than you need than need more than you have? You could get the V-can II for like $200- and DAC/Link it to all your music sources "W4S style" for an extra $400 (W4S is made in the USA and proven technology.) uDac has so many inputs for its size that I link it to my Computer TV and CD player all at the same time and can change to any of them by the flip of a switch. The V-can has in and out RCA, which works even when it's not plugged in, which is good when I turn on my stereo system and play from my Computer and W4S DAC.
  http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/618197
Check the stats, the V-Can is very clear sound. Most complaints are that it's too loud, but I use mine all the time without issues. It's solid build, and doesn't get hot or nothing like tube.

Dec 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #5,224 of 9,207
Just got my Schiit Lyr in the mail. On first listen, it sounds noticeably fuller than my JDSLabs C241. Will ABX later, but on first listen, it sounds incredible. Bought the Lyr on somewhat of an impulse in the classifieds, but now I'm glad I did haha.

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:03 PM Post #5,225 of 9,207
Just got an Audeze LC-2 and am currently running it on a Fiio E7/E9 combo.  In terms of performance and price, what amps / dac / cords / etc would you recommend that I should get in order to fully release the potential of these great headphones?

Dec 31, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #5,226 of 9,207
Quote:
 What amps / dac / cords / etc would you recommend that I should get in order to fully release the potential of these great headphones?

IMO you got your priorities right, I suggest you start reading through the thread from the very start. You'll probably find something that fits your tastes/budget.

Dec 31, 2012 at 4:01 PM Post #5,227 of 9,207
Quote:
Just got an Audeze LC-2 and am currently running it on a Fiio E7/E9 combo.  In terms of performance and price, what amps / dac / cords / etc would you recommend that I should get in order to fully release the potential of these great headphones?

I think your combo is pretty good until you're ready to spend some similar upper-end cash, 2000 or more. But look at what Audeze recommends on their site, a amp designed for their stuff at around $4000 if I'm not mistaken: Red Wine Audio’s new Audeze Edition Amp / DAC. If you don't care if you have balanced jacks, I really like W4S MPRE as it offers more than just amp/dac for when you also eventually decide to stream music into your home stereo. http://www.wyred4sound.com/webapps/p/74030/117839/803982 Here are just the headphone stats:

[size=small]   "On the occasion that you are craving a headphone listening session, the mPRE has a ¼” headphone jack in the front panel so you can plug right into a high performance amp. The execution is nothing short of impressive. Independent power supplies and volume controls offer incredibly low crosstalk, and noise. All of these benefits the preamp offers will be even more apparent with the headphone stage that can also deliver an abundance of dynamic range which makes for a true hi fidelity headphone experience. The unit is even capable of driving headphones down in the 16ohm range."[/size]

[size=small]You get a remote control and a quality product that is covered by a 5 year warranty and will not restrict your system like many products out there. And most people that have heard W4S dacs and amps know that they know what's up. I don't have LCD2 but I do have a Musical Fildeity "V-Can" amp and a W4S uDAC that is a grat combo for me and could be had for $600 or less. That little v-can is able to drive cans down to 5ohm, which is too loud for what I use. But in my opinion Musical Fidelity gives you more than you pay for or need, amp dac or whatever. See X-can reviews too[/size]. I'm also curious what others think about these items with lcd2 as a non $2000+ purchase. Good luck
o2smile.gif

Jan 7, 2013 at 12:35 AM Post #5,229 of 9,207
Man hehe I have read threw this whole thread, And it's got me nervous I have my first pair of LCD-2's coming in and the Woo WA7 on the way as well.
Coming from a Fiio E7/E9 combo I hope the WA7 is enough to compliment the LCD-2's.
All the speak of 4-5,000$ Amps has me nervous.. but in that good I may lose a few pay checks way.
beyersmile.png

Jan 7, 2013 at 3:29 AM Post #5,230 of 9,207
Quote:
Man hehe I have read threw this whole thread, And it's got me nervous I have my first pair of LCD-2's coming in and the Woo WA7 on the way as well.
Coming from a Fiio E7/E9 combo I hope the WA7 is enough to compliment the LCD-2's.
All the speak of 4-5,000$ Amps has me nervous.. but in that good I may lose a few pay checks way.
beyersmile.png

http://redwineaudio.com/components/audeze_edition
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa7fireflies.html
I'm no expert but I don't see a lot of problems with the specs on that Woo amp compared to the one designed for the LCD-2, except I don't understand what the Fiio is for. Are you planning on taking your LCD2 outdoors? And if so, that would worry me. But I only have Yamaha YH-100 orthodynamic headphones that are said to not fair well with dust, etc.

Jan 7, 2013 at 11:33 AM Post #5,231 of 9,207
Quote:
http://redwineaudio.com/components/audeze_edition
http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa7fireflies.html
I'm no expert but I don't see a lot of problems with the specs on that Woo amp compared to the one designed for the LCD-2, except I don't understand what the Fiio is for. Are you planning on taking your LCD2 outdoors? And if so, that would worry me. But I only have Yamaha YH-100 orthodynamic headphones that are said to not fair well with dust, etc.

No no hehe i used the Fiio E7/E9 with my Current AKG Q701's. With the upgrade to the LCD-2's I thought  an upgrade was in order for the AMP as well that is all.
I do not think the LCD-2's will leave my house. 
wink.gif
 But yes the specs should work!

Jan 7, 2013 at 2:57 PM Post #5,232 of 9,207
Hi guys,
Has anybody here experienced the Violectric V100 paired with the LCD-2s?
How good is this amp? I found the V100 rarely mentioned at head-fi 
confused_face.gif

And i am very confused in choosing between it and the Schiit Mjolnir now -.-
Thanks,

Jan 7, 2013 at 6:29 PM Post #5,233 of 9,207
Most recommend the violectric v200 over the v100
Quote:
Hi guys,
Has anybody here experienced the Violectric V100 paired with the LCD-2s?
How good is this amp? I found the V100 rarely mentioned at head-fi 
confused_face.gif

And i am very confused in choosing between it and the Schiit Mjolnir now -.-
Thanks,

Jan 8, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #5,234 of 9,207
I've had good luck powering mine with a vintage Marantz and a Yamaha A-S500.  Both speakers amps, both sound different, both sound full and detailed.  No worries about underpowering.  And obviously, they both power my speakers as well.

Jan 8, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #5,235 of 9,207
Quote:
I've had good luck powering mine with a vintage Marantz and a Yamaha A-S500.  Both speakers amps, both sound different, both sound full and detailed.  No worries about underpowering.  And obviously, they both power my speakers as well.

And we can thank the walkman and its original little headphones for the attenuation of most headphone outputs on home receivers. My only problem with going oldschool is that you lose digital ins and outs that come on newer receivers. Plus those things are about as energy efficient as a 50's refrigerator. But, if you look at some of the new receivers and pre-amps made by legitimate companies, they have decided to go back to the old ways of powering headphone jacks. It's an old/new school thing because I don't see a lot of people on this site powering speakers either.

After I got my thrift store yh-100 headphones, I researched them and learned a lot about why they ended high power headphone jacks in receivers. And for newbies, they even had a special jack on Yamaha receivers that said "For Orthodynamic Only." I have a couple of older amps that I like all around, but they were not really designed for digital, which is either good or bad depending on your preference. My Sansui 7070 is quiet, has tons of technological goodies and is a true 45 wpc. Who has heard of true watts? pure watts, clean watts, undistorted watts, whatever? We usually just hear huge numbers followed by RMS. Some of the new companies still make good stuff, but you pay for it. I read that the Sansui 7070 was $550 when it came out, and to get the clean watts it puts out in a new system would cost a consumer around $900. However you do get digital ins and outs today. With most people getting component setups based on a central receiver unit, and will have to now buy a separate phonograph amp because they don't add those anymore (or for the last 5 or so years that I can tell), it might be worth finding and refurbishing a 70's monster receiver. (my apologies for the information stated, for I am not a tech guru and would really like to hear replies where I am wrong/right or in between.)        

Users who are viewing this thread

Back