Amp recommendations for Audeze LCD-2
Jun 18, 2011 at 4:04 PM Post #2,716 of 9,206

KevinWolff

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Posts
432
Likes
17
Really? What would u suggest? i got it because it was used in both 6moons and avguide reviews. i'm a tube noob. 
frown.gif

 
Quote:
I would have left the Shuguang tube behind.  



 
 
Jun 18, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #2,717 of 9,206

Wedge

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Posts
719
Likes
25
Location
New Jersey
I generally prefer NOS tubes.  A NOS Sylvania can be had for less than the Treasure and IMO sounds better.  Mullard ECC32 is probably about as good as it gets.
 
Jun 18, 2011 at 5:31 PM Post #2,718 of 9,206

KevinWolff

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Posts
432
Likes
17
i"ve head the mullard mentioned again and again. I will check it out right after I do some tubes 101 research. Sadly, I don't yet even know what NOS means yet. 
 
Quote:
I generally prefer NOS tubes.  A NOS Sylvania can be had for less than the Treasure and IMO sounds better.  Mullard ECC32 is probably about as good as it gets.



 
 
Jun 18, 2011 at 5:38 PM Post #2,720 of 9,206

Wedge

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Posts
719
Likes
25
Location
New Jersey
NOS mean New Old Stock, also used tubes work well too.  There are a lot of good old stock tubes out there, some can be had on the cheap, others can be had by selling your soul or child's soul, sellers don't seem too particular as to whose soul they are receiving.  I would also say check out Tung-Sol Black Glass Round Plate (TSRP), ECC33s sound good as well, Marconi Osram B65s cost a fortune but sound phenomenal, RCA 5692s if your looking for a slightly more lush sound than say TSRP, I also love the Fivre 6SN7GT (I'm told these are very rare).
 
Jun 18, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #2,722 of 9,206

KevinWolff

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 9, 2011
Posts
432
Likes
17
I think i'm gonna sell a soul or 2 and get the mullard from tube world, then start investigating all these others. i'm psyched to start rolling. Thanks for the info. I also canceled the Shuguang. 
 
Quote:
NOS mean New Old Stock, also used tubes work well too.  There are a lot of good old stock tubes out there, some can be had on the cheap, others can be had by selling your soul or child's soul, sellers don't seem too particular as to whose soul they are receiving.  I would also say check out Tung-Sol Black Glass Round Plate (TSRP), ECC33s sound good as well, Marconi Osram B65s cost a fortune but sound phenomenal, RCA 5692s if your looking for a slightly more lush sound than say TSRP, I also love the Fivre 6SN7GT (I'm told these are very rare).



 
 
Jun 19, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #2,723 of 9,206

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Posts
577
Likes
14
I just finished reading through this thread for I think the second time. I am only more confused now. My DAC is a Reference 7. I need to read some more about it, but I have the impression it is not very musical. Due to that I am leaning towards a tube amp, but haven't ruled out SS. I plan to build a serious STAX rig, and don't want to spend all my money on this setup. I can't see the LCD-2 being my only pair of ortho/dynamic I ever own, so I want an all around good amp, so I can try and avoid buying another in the future.
 
That rules out the Decware. If I could guarantee myself the LCD-2 would be my only non STAX headphone, I would buy it. I can spend up to $3000, but I would like to keep it in the $1,000-$2,000 range. I was considering the RSA Apache, but think I will cut that out, just because I don't think I want to spend that much. I don't want to deal with a builder for a Beta 22, so that is out. For SS I am thinking Phoenix, or GS-X. The GS-X has gone up in price from what I read it used to be, and almost no one owns one, which I feel like says something.
 
That leaves me with The P/V, WA6SE, and WA22 for tubes. I haven't read much about how well the P/V work with other cans, so I would have to do some research on that before buying it. If I spend $3,000+ on this amp, I will probably wonder why I did not just by a BHSE, which I will eventually buy anyway. I hate options. 
 
Jun 19, 2011 at 12:49 PM Post #2,724 of 9,206

dannie01

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Posts
1,554
Likes
18


Quote:
I generally prefer NOS tubes.  A NOS Sylvania can be had for less than the Treasure and IMO sounds better.  Mullard ECC32 is probably about as good as it gets.



     Quote:
NOS mean New Old Stock, also used tubes work well too.  There are a lot of good old stock tubes out there, some can be had on the cheap, others can be had by selling your soul or child's soul, sellers don't seem too particular as to whose soul they are receiving.  I would also say check out Tung-Sol Black Glass Round Plate (TSRP), ECC33s sound good as well, Marconi Osram B65s cost a fortune but sound phenomenal, RCA 5692s if your looking for a slightly more lush sound than say TSRP, I also love the Fivre 6SN7GT (I'm told these are very rare).



Well said, Wedge and can't agree more.
 
 
Jun 19, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #2,725 of 9,206

Wedge

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Posts
719
Likes
25
Location
New Jersey
Quote:
That leaves me with The P/V, WA6SE, and WA22 for tubes. I haven't read much about how well the P/V work with other cans, so I would have to do some research on that before buying it. If I spend $3,000+ on this amp, I will probably wonder why I did not just by a BHSE, which I will eventually buy anyway. I hate options. 


The P/V to me sounds great with other cans on it.  I listened to the K701, LCD-2, HE-6, Ed. 10, and HD-650.  I don't like the Ed.10s but it sounded as good on that amp as it did any of my others. Mostly just didn't like the phones.  It works well with a lot of cans because it is quite a transparent/neutral amp.  If you want to hear it, I would suggest giving Todd a call and asking him if has a loaner for you to borrow and listen to.
 
 
Jun 19, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #2,726 of 9,206

Wedge

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 26, 2010
Posts
719
Likes
25
Location
New Jersey
Quote:
Well said, Wedge and can't agree more.
 


Thanks, Dannie01.  How are the WA-5LE and LCD-2 working with your ECC32s?
 
 
Jun 19, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #2,727 of 9,206

n3rdling

Member of the Trade: Nerdbird Audio
Joined
Feb 23, 2008
Posts
2,733
Likes
419


Quote:
I just finished reading through this thread for I think the second time. I am only more confused now. My DAC is a Reference 7. I need to read some more about it, but I have the impression it is not very musical. Due to that I am leaning towards a tube amp, but haven't ruled out SS. I plan to build a serious STAX rig, and don't want to spend all my money on this setup. I can't see the LCD-2 being my only pair of ortho/dynamic I ever own, so I want an all around good amp, so I can try and avoid buying another in the future.
 
That rules out the Decware. If I could guarantee myself the LCD-2 would be my only non STAX headphone, I would buy it. I can spend up to $3000, but I would like to keep it in the $1,000-$2,000 range. I was considering the RSA Apache, but think I will cut that out, just because I don't think I want to spend that much. I don't want to deal with a builder for a Beta 22, so that is out. For SS I am thinking Phoenix, or GS-X. The GS-X has gone up in price from what I read it used to be, and almost no one owns one, which I feel like says something.
 
That leaves me with The P/V, WA6SE, and WA22 for tubes. I haven't read much about how well the P/V work with other cans, so I would have to do some research on that before buying it. If I spend $3,000+ on this amp, I will probably wonder why I did not just by a BHSE, which I will eventually buy anyway. I hate options. 

 

I'd expect the GSX to outperform the other amps but I've never heard the PV.  I've never really been thrilled with any of the Woo offerings.  If you are able to find an already built B22 or Dynahi on the FS forums I'd definitely consider those the top amps for orthos though.
 
Jun 20, 2011 at 12:08 AM Post #2,728 of 9,206

TruBrew

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Oct 24, 2010
Posts
577
Likes
14
Thanks. I have always thought the Woo amps might be overpriced, but they are so popular. I guess it is a little like the Burson, which I have also never heard. The GSX just baffles me. How have so few people owned/heard that particular amp. It seems compelling, but if it was as good as it seems like it should be, Why do more people not own them. Sure it is expensive, but so are so many other amps that are popular around here. I just got in touch with someone to possibly build be a B22. I am waiting to find out what that will run me. I have not heard of the Dynahi, but from a quick search it looks like another DIY amp.
 
Quote:
 

I'd expect the GSX to outperform the other amps but I've never heard the PV.  I've never really been thrilled with any of the Woo offerings.  If you are able to find an already built B22 or Dynahi on the FS forums I'd definitely consider those the top amps for orthos though.



 
 
Jun 20, 2011 at 3:08 AM Post #2,730 of 9,206

dannie01

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Posts
1,554
Likes
18


Quote:
Thanks, Dannie01.  How are the WA-5LE and LCD-2 working with your ECC32s?
 


The combo sounded wonderful.
 
I'm now trying to persuade my friend to buy my WA5LE by installment so I can order a new WA5 from Jack to drive both headphones and speakers.
biggrin.gif
 But the most critical issue to my friend are those tubes for the WA5LE, if he goes for the same combo as mine, they will cost almost the same price for a brand new WA5LE that make him struggling.
 
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top