Amp recommendation for Marantz AV7702 pre-out for movies
Jan 31, 2018 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Horn_blower

New Head-Fier
Hello,

My Marantz AV7702 home theater processor's headphone jack shuts off all audio output when in use, requiring the Sennheiser HD 595's to be unplugged every time I want to hear the full surround system. Because we sit quite a ways away from the Marantz and have to use an extension cord with the 595s, it is annoying having to unplug and corral that long cord every time.

After much research, it appears the only way to bypass the Marantz's headphone jack is to use the zone 1 or 2 pre-out, which would require an amp to power the headphones. I am looking for an amp that will do the job for two pairs of phones at a cost of <=$200.

In addition, while the 595's do an admirable job, I would like to eliminate the cord and go wireless and am therefore interested in suggestions for wireless phones that will work reasonably well for listening to movies in stereo down-mix.

To sum up:

1) Looking for amp recommendations <=$200 that will work with the processor pre-out and can handle two sets of phones.

2) Looking for wireless headphone recommendations that won't break the bank (will need 2 pair) and that will work with the above amp.

Thank you!
Horn Blower

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #2 of 2
After much research, it appears the only way to bypass the Marantz's headphone jack is to use the zone 1 or 2 pre-out, which would require an amp to power the headphones. I am looking for an amp that will do the job for two pairs of phones at a cost of <=$200.

Make sure first that the alternate Zone preouts work with all the inputs you're using. Sony demanded that some are disabled thinking it will stop bootlegs of, among others, Sony-BMG.

Chances are all digital inputs tend to not work with alternate zone outputs.

1) Looking for amp recommendations <=$200 that will work with the processor pre-out and can handle two sets of phones.

Violectric or Lake People. Not gonna be at that price range though.

2) Looking for wireless headphone recommendations that won't break the bank (will need 2 pair) and that will work with the above amp

Uh...how? Amplified audio signals don't work like Qi charging. They're not wireless yet. Wireless headphones have the amplifier built into each headphone, with the dock only serving as a transmitter (and sometimes a charger).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back