Amp question + headphones for movie watching (PC)
Oct 17, 2016 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Vonsid

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm planning to buy a pair of BeyerDynamic DT 990 Pro 250 ohms to use with my comp, mainly to watch movies. I wanted to have a powerful enough bass and good soundstage for movies, are those headphones a good pick for this use ? I stay open to other suggestions as purchase hasn't been made yet.

Still, i heard headphones are really benefiting from a dedicated amp/soundcard on a PC. The problem is that i never used one of those and i don't know much in this area.

Should i better buy an amp ? A soundcard ? Both ? And which model ? 

Budget is 200 dollars for headphones, 120 dollars for amp / soundcard.

Thanks.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 5
Soundmagic HP200 headphones ($150)
I prefer my HP200 over my DT990 Pro 250-Ohm

External USB-DAC/amps
FiiO E10K ($76)
FiiO Q1 ($70)
Schiit Fulla ($89)

Oct 18, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for your answers first.

PurpleAngel what makes you prefer your Soundmagic HP200 over the Beyers ? 

Also, about the list of amps you gave, i stumbled upon those while doing my research, but it's indicated in their specs that The Fiio's only works with headphones that don't go over 150 Ohm. Have you been able to test it with the BeyerDynamic DT990 250 ohm (in case i pick those) and do they still perform nicely ? I'll also look at the Micca Origen Kendrick mentionned.

Thanks again for the help, very appreciated.

Oct 18, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 5
  PurpleAngel what makes you prefer your Soundmagic HP200 over the Beyers ? 
Also, about the list of amps you gave, I stumbled upon those while doing my research, but it's indicated in their specs that The Fiio's only works with headphones that don't go over 150 Ohm. Have you been able to test it with the BeyerDynamic DT990 250 ohm (in case i pick those) and do they still perform nicely ? I'll also look at the Micca Origen Kendrick mentionned.
Thanks again for the help, very appreciated.

Guess the HP200 sound is somewhere between the DT880 (balanced & slightly bright) and DT990 (stronge bass/treble).
The FiiO Q1 & E10K can drive 250-Ohm & 300-Ohm headphones decently, but not as strongly as one might like the headphones to be driven, to bring out the best audio.

I'm sure there are lots of people with the E10K or Q1 and 250-Ohm Beyer headphones that are fine with that combo.

I think FiiO is just trying to provide good guildlines for people buying a headphone amplifier.
FiiO has other amplifiers (A3 or E12) that might be more recomneded for higher impedance (Ohm) headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back