Amp Power...On/Off?
Mar 7, 2006 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

SennFan

500+ Head-Fier
Do you turn your amp on/off for each listening session or keep it on constantly (solid state)?

Heard a lot of different opinions/thoughts on this issue. Some manufacturers have told me that it's ok to leave it on as long as you want whereas others have recommended turning it on/off each time you use it. Wondering what all of you think and if there is any hard evidence to support the benefit of either preference.

What are the disadvantages/advantages of leaving your amps on constantly?

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 28
All my amps are pure class-A so my wife would likely kick my a*s when she received the monthly electrical bill if I left them all on 24/7

I have instead gotten used to "turn it on,go do something for 1/2 hour to let it warm up then listen" thing.Class-a means also a loooooong time to stabilise and actually warm up before it sounds right
rolleyes.gif

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 28
computer - 24/7
DAC - 24/7
EMP - ?/7

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #6 of 28
24/7 for my RS HR-2. I would probably turn it off if it had a switch, but since it's SS leaving it on shouldn't really affect it.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #7 of 28
I asked that question to Mikhail when i first got my amp because i wanted to have a faster burn in by having it on 24/7 but he told me to turn it off when not in use so that is what i do.

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:34 PM Post #8 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan
I asked that question to Mikhail when i first got my amp because i wanted to have a faster burn in by having it on 24/7 but he told me to turn it off when not in use so that is what i do.

Interesting...I may start doing that as well then. Thanks for the info Gabe. Shame then that the HR-2 doesn't have a power switch (going behind my desk and unplugging the power cord isn't incredibly easy).

Mar 7, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Logan

tubes get really hot and wear out faster if left on 24/7 apparently

if i had solid state i would leave it on if i didnt worry about the electricity bill

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #11 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
I have instead gotten used to "turn it on,go do something for 1/2 hour to let it warm up then listen" thing.Class-a means also a loooooong time to stabilise and actually warm up before it sounds right
rolleyes.gif

I do exactly the same thing with my M3 and speaker amp, although I usually only wait ~15 minutes before I get impatient trying to do something else and go ahead and listen.

To address your question SennFan:

I typically leave the amp on the rest of the afternoon/evening once I've already turned it on, unless I know I'm not going to be using it anymore. Except for the Aria, which I turn it off whenever I'm not using it so as to not be blinded by the blue light when I walk around. If I ever get around to reducing the brightness on the Aria's LED, I'd probably follow the same pattern as my other amps.

In general for solid state, leaving the amp on all the time isn't going to cause any problems. Arguably turning it on and off all the time would be worse than leaving it on, but it's really a non-issue and just boils down to personal preference.

Mar 7, 2006 at 11:28 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

if i had solid state i would leave it on if i didnt worry about the electricity bill

I have a 10WPC class-a solid state amp through the ASL UHC that idles at 5A continious
eek.gif

No way that puppy stays on without there being a noticeable impact on my light bill

My "Stax" driver at 20WPC,also class-A but more efficient,is about half that in idel current but still "out there" when compared to more conventional amps and my Szekeres pulls a full amp stereo so those three alone if left on full time would mean 8.5 amps continious current draw and that is just not acceptable.

Quote:

Answers to questions like:
1) Will leaving the amp on diminish the useful life of the amp?
2) Will there be any degradation of performance over time?

Yes and yes but varies with topology.

Everything eventually hits its lifespan and that measured in hours of actual electricity flowing through the part.The more stressed that part is during normal operation the sooner it will first get noisy then expire.High bias Class-A means heat and if there is a circuit killer it is that so the great sonics come at a cost in equipment life/replacement cost,energy used in the home and then there is the wating period before it actually stabilises and sounds good.That last would alone drive some nuts

My triode gear again is all class-a but here with the cost of quality tubes being the main consideration and with the definate noise free lifespan being measured in years not decades i am taking no chances
icon10.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #13 of 28
The results from the poll so far are about what I expected. Currently I'm using an Outlaw 750, and wanted to see what others do concerning powering their amps. This amps seems quite efficient so I don't think I'll have a problem keeping it on for extended periods and only turning it off every other week/month or so.

Any advice? thx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back