Amp plus samsa clip help
Dec 4, 2012 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Ch1Kn

New Head-Fier
Sorta new to this, if i get a nice and tiny sansa clip, i hear it has bad amping. If i want to use ath m50 with it can i simply combo the samsa with a fiio e6 or fiio e11 and get good performance from my headphones? Thanks

Dec 6, 2012 at 5:14 AM Post #2 of 4
Yeah why not? I used to use this combo with E11, it sounded fairly decent. What people are probably mentioning is the double amping from the headphone out. To be honest I had good results amping the Clip+ especially rockboxed with volume set to 0db. I much preferred the sound rather than a Clip+ alone.

You could do a set up something like my old rig. It's actually a pretty decent combo for the price.

Especially to get the most out of ATH-M50.

Dec 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Sorta new to this, if i get a nice and tiny Sansa clip, i hear it has bad amping. If i want to use ath m50 with it can i simply combo the Sansa with a fiio e6 or fiio e11 and get good performance from my headphones? Thanks

I think my Sandisk Sansa Clip Zip 4GB sounds fairly good with headphones for something that only cost $40 (+ $15 for 16GB micro-SD)
I use to use the Fiio E6 with the Clip Zip, did not really hear an improvement over plugging my (32-Ohm) headphones straight into the Clip Zip.
I switched over to the Sony E465 16GB because my 48 year old eyes do better with the larger screen.
(plus I got a really good price on the used Sony E465, but in perfect condition).

Dec 7, 2012 at 4:34 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
Sorta new to this, if i get a nice and tiny sansa clip, i hear it has bad amping. If i want to use ath m50 with it can i simply combo the samsa with a fiio e6 or fiio e11 and get good performance from my headphones? Thanks

If your headphone impedance is not very high, the reason to use an amp is because it has very low output impedance, which mitigates the effects of headphone impedance variation.
Going by that, the Clip+/Zip already has a <1 Ohm output impedance, so the internal amp is pretty capable.

Hence, unless you find the headphone isn't loud enough, or unless you already have a Fiio lying around, an amp with the Clip+/Zip is not really needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back