amp or amp/dac needed for hd600 | $200-250 budget
Jun 6, 2013 at 11:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Nowhere

100+ Head-Fier
it's pretty likely that i'm going to buy the sennheiser hd600 soon as tomorrow is my birthday (no happy birthdays necessary hehe)

i currently have a $200 budget for an amp solution in which my main source currently is my pc with mainly good quality files.
listening to a wide variety of music but mainly alot of 90s stuff, female vocals, indie, etc.

since the source is a pc i was leaning toward an amp/dac combination but i'm not sure if it's smarter to go with a separate amp and dac... which would mean getting an amp now and then a separate dac later.

some of the choices i was looking at were:

are any of these a solid choice for the hd600 or should i look at something else? i was trying to avoid tubes as i just want something simple you can plug in and forget and i read that they require hands on maintenance or whatever.
i did include 1 tube in the list because it was a combo and seemed different then a normal tube but i'm not sure if it really is.

thanks for any help!!!!

matrix cube $255
  The award winning top shelf 24 bit/ 192 kHz D/A converting unit - Wolfson WM8740
·         High-end digital sampling rate increase processing chip - TI SRC4382
·         ASRC (Asynchronous Sample Rate Converter) - the technique of separating the internal and external clock and re-sampling, which effectively reduces the timing jitter generated by the former sources and transmission lines
·         A professional digital receiver chip of ultra-low jitter and a high-precision clock independent system
·         USB, optical, coaxial digital inputs and a coaxial output that supports multiple channel pass-through
·         Up to 24 bit/192 kHz digital signal input via s/pdif input channels
·         Digital signals can be up-sampled to 174.6 KHz /192KHz and put out through digital channel
·         The internal headphone amp unit can easily drive any headphones of 300 ohms and below
·         Headphone amplifier can work independently when it is connected to external signal source
·         Professional stereo OP-Amp, OPA2134/LM833, are used to provide you with the best signal playback effect
·         Multi-stage stabilized voltage supply unit

yulong u100 $225 (on ebay)
Features:
●  USB input: USB2.0/24Bit/96KHz.
●  Line input (3.5mm).
●  Line output (RCA).
●  Headphone amplifier output (6.35mm).
●  Power Supply: 6-20V DC.
●  Internal high-quality switching power supply.
●  Cirrus logic CS4398: -107dB THD+N.
●  Compact size aluminum alloy housing (160*110*30mm).
●  Upgradable firmware for USB.
●  Global  AC Power Supply (90-250V).

maverick audio tubemagic d1 plus $209
The TubeMagic D1 Plus comes with a vacuum tube pre-amp output stage in addition to the normal solid-state audio output. Powered by a vintage vacuum tube made in 1970’s, it adds a lot of warmth and smoothness to the music, especially to Vocal and Jazz genres. Furthermore, you can use this DAC as a full functional tube preamp, adding the “tube magic” to the two analog and three digital inputs.
Bit-perfect USB interface
The TubeMagic D1 Plus features the famous Tenor 7022L pro-audio USB interface chip. It will handle up to 24bit/96Khz audio transferred from your computer to the DAC bit by bit without any distortion or resampling.
A damn good Headphone Amplifier!
With up to 600 ohm impedance and 1000mW power output, this DAC has enough power to drive any headphone on the planet.

audio-gd nfb 15.32 $235
Discrete  DAC+ Headphone amplifier / Preamplifier
32bit / 384K Asynchronous Transfer  USB-32 Chip
Built in 2 Pieces Hi-end grade WM8741 Chips
[size=x-small]Fully  discrete analog stages without any OPA and couple caps in the signal channels.
Non- feedback ACSS analog output stage .

Total of 6 groups dedicated power circuits  are used to purify the power supply.
Applies a custom order ALPS 27 volume pot for reducing channel imbalance and improving on sound quality.
3 channels digital input :
  coaxial /  Optical / USB
DAC output :   RCA  (User can setting with either variable level as  DAC with preamp combo or fixed output level as dedicated DAC )
Headphone output : 6.3MM SE
USB Audio Class 2 High-speed Input from Windows / MAC / Linux  ( We can not guarantee it can working with every Linux device )
Supports High / full speed Asynchronous Transfer Mode up to 384K / 32Bit ability .
Resolutions support 16 / 24 / 32 Bit with sampling rate support 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz (USB  )
Supports up to 24Bit/192KHz (coaxial  )
Supports 2X , 4X and 8X oversampling customers setting
High-End grade parts built in , ALPS 27 volume pot , Toshiba optical receiver and transistors , gold plate pure copper RCA sockets ect.
[/size]

Jun 6, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #2 of 5
i m biased towards audiogd 
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #4 of 5
anyone? i need expert advice please.
is it ok to go with one of those dac/amp combos (or another) or is it smarter to go with separate amp and dac? for the hd600.
what is the key features i should look for? i tried to read up on amps but i can't seem to grasp exactly what i'm looking for in an amp/dac was hoping an expert could guide me in what the smart move will be.

if noone responds i suppose i'll just go with the audio-gd, although.. i'm not a huge fan of supporting china products but if it's the best/smartest move i guess i'll have to.

Jun 6, 2013 at 3:06 PM Post #5 of 5
nevermind, i think i made my decision to up my budget and go with the meridian explorer.
handmade in the uk, and fits my style perfectly.
(hopefully it works out).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back