Amp or Amp/DAC for Philips Fidelio X2?
May 27, 2015 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

peepskp

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I am moving into portable audio and was looking for some help. I recently purchased the philips fidelio X2 headphones and really like them. I am just not sure if they will sound better with a dedicated amp or amp/dac when compared to coming right from my iphone 5s. I usually use spotify for streaming.

I am mostly interested in something portable that can be used with my iphone and macbook pro for indoor/ outdoor use while just listening or when I'm outside smoking a stogie. I have been looking really close at the andes e07k amp/dac and looking at how it can be used to bypass the iphone dac and amp. I have also been looking at the fiio e12a that has some very good reviews especially for low impedance headphones like mine.

Do you think it is worth it? I am able to play the headphones at full volume with the iphone. At this level they are pretty loud and are close to as loud as I would prefer to have them for some listening. I am not sure if the extra power might help the sound quality.

I want to stay under $200

Please let me know if you need more info from my end.

The X2 specs are below. Thanks for your time.
Impedance30 Ω
Efficiency100.0 dB SPL/mW
Frequency Response5 - 40,000 Hz
Transducer TypeDynamic
Operating PrincipleOpen
Ear CouplingOver-ear
Weight380 g

May 27, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2 of 10

wnmnkh

Headphoneus Supremus
No, extra power does not improve the SQ at this point. Quality of the sound itself does.

Look for USB-based DAC/amps such as Fiio E17K, Schiit Fulla or Cambridge audio Dacmagic XS or Soundblaster E3 or E5. There are a lot of options other than ones I mentioned.

May 27, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #4 of 10

peepskp

New Head-Fier
Thanks for the recommendations. It looks like the E5 is iPhone certified, something that fiio products seem to have problems with.

I have looked into the schiit fulla and I read that it cannot be run off of the iPhone, it needs to be connected to an iPhone hub. Is this true?

Is the E5 the best for a portable dac/amp in this price range that works well with iPhone, MacBook Pro?

May 28, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 10

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
What about just getting the FiiO X3 Gen II (X3K), it can be used as a USB-DAC-amp with your Macbook or as a stand alone DAP.
Just leave your iPhone in your pocket until you need to make a phone call and it would extend the battery life on your iPhone.

May 28, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #6 of 10

cel4145

Headphoneus Supremus
What about just getting the FiiO X3 Gen II (X3K), it can be used as a USB-DAC-amp with your Macbook or as a stand alone DAP.
Just leave your iPhone in your pocket until you need to make a phone call and it would extend the battery life on your iPhone.

+1

I love using my iBasso DX50 DAP instead of having to hook up dac/amp to my phone.

Users who are viewing this thread