amp for the k70x
Jun 6, 2010 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

cravenz

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys,

I've read loads of the topics on this already and the suggestion seems to be a toss up between the heed canamp and the dv 336se (i think) and now la figaro; that or the woo audio, but that's just beyond my budget and even the heed is a tad far-fetched.

firstly, would anyone else have other suggestions or does anyone have experience with using the k70x on both of them and have an opinion cos' I've read those who have liked both, but there's no mention of any comparisons, just that some have liked this or  that and I don't have the luxury of testing them out either due to the lack of audio equipment in my state.

cheers.

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 14
I posted an amp option for you in the 701/02 thread (the Matrix M Stage I decided on), but I just wanted to say that I decided against the Heed because it seems too expensive, too hyped, and, worse of all, too colored. It's SS will change the 701/02's into a different can, which, if you enjoy them, you don't want. And if you don't like them, don't try to "perfect" their sound by altering it with a colored amp like the Heed, get a different pair of cans! The Heed also seems to not be recommended for many other cans because it is so colored. So it's a good choice if you wish to alter the sound of your 701/02's and don't have or want other cans, but then, again, there are more reasonable options if this is your view (such as those I mentioned above).

All jmo, and here's a list of some amps I was considering before I decided on the M Stage for my 702's:

Audio GD C2C  C2 $422 (variable gain?)
Sheer Audio Dynalo HA-006+ (no variable gain) $280 ++ $450
Kicas Caliente ($350 plus $30 shipping)

Shanling PH-100 ($220)
Meier Corda headfive (availble?)
HeadAmp Gilmore Lite (avaible?)

All of them would be great imo, but most are also more costly than the M-Stage (and have less options like gain adjustment/easy opamp switching).

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:56 AM Post #5 of 14
Never heard Heed CanAmp but think that downside of this amp is versatility, they sound good with akg and pretty much nothing else.
Kicas Caliente has pretty much same attributes when paired with akg warmer sound with little bump on the lows , its like oversea version of Heed.

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
Never heard Heed CanAmp but think that downside of this amp is versatility, they sound good with akg and pretty much nothing else.

downside of the heed or the m-stage?

Jun 7, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #8 of 14
If woo audio is beyond your budget - don't hesitate to look into the darkvoices and little dots, I can't help you there - I run the K701 out of a Cayin-HA1A but that is out of your budget.  Tubes do work well with the K701 (tube warmth can greatly enhance the sometimes lean K701) and for a change from the ibasso ss.  

Jun 7, 2010 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
If woo audio is beyond your budget - don't hesitate to look into the darkvoices and little dots, I can't help you there - I run the K701 out of a Cayin-HA1A but that is out of your budget.  Tubes do work well with the K701 (tube warmth can greatly enhance the sometimes lean K701) and for a change from the ibasso ss.  

i'm just mesmerised by tubes, but the expense of tube rolling is a worry as well. wish i wasn't a student. lol

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:

My 702 sounds lean with my hybird HF-1 fwiw. But that's fine, that's why I like the 702: the crisp, clear, "lean" sound.

Quote:

i'm just mesmerised by tubes, but the expense of tube rolling is a worry as well. wish i wasn't a student. lol

I think people like them just because they are pretty lol. But do they really sound different than solid state? No, I don't think so. Different amps sound different according to what the maker was going for regardless of being tube or solid state. So pick the SS you are looking for and disregard the technology involved. Especially because tube rolling can get expensive quick. You might as well save up for a "better" solid state amp with the money you would of spent on tubes with a "lesser" tube amp. Jmo...

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #11 of 14
Nothing beats a good SS setup with K701 for its linearity and transparency, that's for sure.

Jun 8, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #13 of 14

Quote:
Nothing beats a good SS setup with K701 for its linearity and transparency, that's for sure.

lol. ya making this difficult! haha

Jun 8, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #14 of 14
I have 702's on my LD-MKIII right now. I tried them on my MKV for a bit, but they seemed too harsh.

It depends on your preferences. I'm a little oversensitive to things that seem too bright or harsh to my ears, but keep in mind either way you go, you could probably swap tubes or chips to shift the sound a little. You'll find no matter which way you'll end up dropping a few extra quarters into the machine to keep playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back