Amp for the Beyerdynamics?
Mar 7, 2006 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

kitaoji

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

Since someone else made a thread for help with an amp for their headphones, I'd thought I'd make mine as well ^_^

I'm planning to get a pair of DT-880's (the old kind) and I'd like to hear your recommendations for an amp to use them with. Initially, I was thinking of a portable like the Supermacro V6 or RSA Hornet, (I only have a small desk that's already taken over by a printer, my laptop, and an external DVD drive), but I'm willing to go slightly larger. Actually, the casing will have to be pretty firm and solid because I'll be putting my desk lamp (a really light $5 lamp from ikea) on top of it.

It'll mainly be for use with my laptop (just an integrated sound card, but I personally think it sounds better than my creative zen nano plus), which runs foobar2000 + dolby headphone (I love this DLL ^_^). If it can also work with my other cans (Senn PX100, Senn eH350, ety ER6i) I might also consider hooking it up to my iAudio 5 if I'm on those 5hours+ plane rides (nothing planned until christmas, by the way).

Suggestions? Or should I forgo all of this and first upgrade the audio source? Most of my music is in MP3 format (since I don't have the space to store my CDs here) so they're not exactly perfect.

Thanks for your help!

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:50 AM Post #3 of 21
I think the beyer line pairs very well with the dark side of The Fuzz. But i love fuzzy tonality.

Mar 8, 2006 at 9:08 AM Post #5 of 21
I'm pleased with my Pimeta with 3xOPA627 with DT880s. It actually has better synergy with the K501s IMO, but not bad at all with this headphone. Seems to tame much of the so-called treble peak with these cans.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:26 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by kitaoji
Actually, the casing will have to be pretty firm and solid because I'll be putting my desk lamp (a really light $5 lamp from ikea) on top of it.

Now *that's* a requirement
blink.gif
icon10.gif

Why not rather put it on top of the DVD-Drive? Sounds less painfull, and you have to consider that the amps you are talking about are *small*. I don't know your lamp, but you don't want to balance a car on a pin. Would make it harder to reach amp controls too.

Mar 8, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #7 of 21
Any EarMax amp. But the AE is the best!

Best!
Nicola

Mar 8, 2006 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oliver :)
Now *that's* a requirement
blink.gif
icon10.gif

Why not rather put it on top of the DVD-Drive? Sounds less painfull, and you have to consider that the amps you are talking about are *small*. I don't know your lamp, but you don't want to balance a car on a pin. Would make it harder to reach amp controls too.

Actually, right now it *is* on my DVD-Drive. If the amp's small enough, then all is good and it can simply share tablespace with the lamp
smily_headphones1.gif
or if it's the size of something like a headroom micro amp, I may end up placing the placing the lamp on the amp.

So yes, I need something that's at least semi-portable, and relatively low-end (definitely not more than $500).

Right now I'm thinking of Xin's SuperMacro, the Hornet, and Headroom's Microamp. I'm not a basshead, but I like it to be there (something that the iAudio compensates for when I'm using it with my etymotics), but I definitely want to keep the soundstage and naturally, enjoy amps that provide great crossfeeding
biggrin.gif

Mar 8, 2006 at 4:30 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Right now I'm thinking of Xin's SuperMacro, the Hornet, and Headroom's Microamp. I'm not a basshead, but I like it to be there (something that the iAudio compensates for when I'm using it with my etymotics), but I definitely want to keep the soundstage and naturally, enjoy amps that provide great crossfeeding
biggrin.gif

I have no Beyers, but if you want small, crossfeed & built with Etys in mind, the Supermacro is your friend. I really like this little amp.

Mar 9, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nik
Any EarMax amp. But the AE is the best!

Best!
Nicola

I back up this. EarMax AE fixes all of the weaknesses of 880, and then gives additional musical soul to the headphone.

Mar 11, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #11 of 21
Thanks for all the replies!

Unfortunately, tube amps are completely out for me; the Earmax is slightly out of budget, and I have absolutely no space to store such a delicate instrument (I'm already running out of space just with my own things, and my papers and all.)

I'm considering the supermacro, since I enjoy its portability, size and flexibility. But whether I get this amp or any others, does it make sense to connect this directly to the laptop, or should I consider a DAC as well? I once tried the bithead with my laptop and IEMs, and while the sound only improved incrementally, there was too much hissing [background noise] to be worth it.

Mar 12, 2006 at 11:43 PM Post #12 of 21
bumping this thread...

I guess not too many people use DT880s with their laptop setup, since it's too marvelous to be used on a lowly rig
confused.gif
Most of my files aren't lossless, which is quite a problem...

If I used an Echo Indigo PC card, would this be enough? Or should I connect that to an amp and then my headphones? Or is that just a bad setup?

I can't wait to hear the DT880s, whatever happens
biggrin.gif

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by fewtch
I'm pleased with my Pimeta with 3xOPA627 with DT880s. It actually has better synergy with the K501s IMO, but not bad at all with this headphone. Seems to tame much of the so-called treble peak with these cans.

i felt the same way with 627's in my pimeta with my ms-1's. added clarity, but toned down the brightness so i could listen easier

Mar 13, 2006 at 12:12 AM Post #14 of 21
Quote:

bumping this thread...

I guess not too many people use DT880s with their laptop setup, since it's too marvelous to be used on a lowly rig
confused.gif
Most of my files aren't lossless, which is quite a problem...

If I used an Echo Indigo PC card, would this be enough? Or should I connect that to an amp and then my headphones? Or is that just a bad setup?

I can't wait to hear the DT880s, whatever happens
biggrin.gif

a "laptop" setting can be amazing. a headroom microstack would be sheer bliss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back