Amp for MS-1s?
post-1396793
Post #1 of 3

MrSnrub2

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello all,

I bought a pair of MS-1s a couple of months ago, as they seemed to be very highly recommended by members of this forum. As they were my first foray into audiophile headphones, I wasn't exactly sure what to expect, but I've been pleasantly surprised

Now, I'm considering an inexpensive amp to pair them up with, as I'd like a bit more bass than I can get out of them at the moment (although their overall volume is more than loud enough). I do most of my listening with the headphone jack of my iBook as a source.

My questions are:

1) Do you think amping these headphones would bring about a noticeable difference in bass? I've read that Grados/Alessandros are pretty easy to drive even without an amp, because of their low (32ohm) impedance, and that an amp is only really necesary on portable devices (although an iBook is portable, I suppose).

2) I've narrowed my amp choices down to the PocketAmp 2, the Go-Vibe, and possibly a CMOY variant. Can anyone recommend one of these in particular for Grados/Alessandros?

Cheers,

Stacy.

post-1398416
Post #2 of 3

Silfer

100+ Head-Fier
Reaction score
Did you try the Senn HD414 pad mod with a hole cut in them? That will give you more bass and clearity for sure. I believe there was a place where you can get these pads in Australia. Maybe you can check out the Aussie senn site... (Or do a search in the headphone forum.)
I haven't tried any of the amps you mentioned so maybe someone else can chip in...

OOPS edit

Just read your sig.

post-1398422
Post #3 of 3

kramer5150

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Yeah pad mods might be a better alternative....

I like my MS2 pushed by my PA2... the PA2 is a little bass heavy so it compliments the smooth near-grado projection of the MS2.

Garrett

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)