amp for k712
Aug 6, 2014 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

krass76

New Head-Fier
Hey,
I'm out to buy some k712 pro and need an amp to go with it. I already have a Steinberg UR22 and the headphone amp is said to be quite **** so I want to use the lineout into a propper amp.
From what I've read the JDS Labs Objective 2 (o2) would be it, but I'm not certain yet.
I will be using it for music production/mixing/monitoring so I need something fairly neutral that allows me to hear and correct errors in recordings as they are.
In this case, is the O2 the right choice beacuse it is said to be really good, but is it worthy to power some k712? Or is there a better option?
You have to know that I'll use them only with my computer so the amp being portable / power-hungry is of no significance at all.
And while we're at it: if you have any doubts concerning the k712 for monitoring/mixing/production, let me know!

Aug 6, 2014 at 11:35 AM Post #2 of 7
Now, there also is a second option: I keep my Heed Canamp instead of selling it, which I intend on doing. Will the Canamp with the k712 be better for monitoring/production than the O2? If not, I'm selling it!
Any response would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 7, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 7
Okay, but isn't it going to colour the sound of the audio signal? My goal I'm trying to achieve here is as clean and untouched sound as I can get. I worry whether the canamp isn't going to do the same to the k712 like it does to my hd650 because it was, from what I read, originally built to compensate the errors of the hd600.
In a way, the big difference in sound between k701 and k712 is like the difference between hd600 and hd650, if you look at the sound graphs from headphones.com
and from what I hear my UR22 sounds better (in a way) with my HD650 than the heed canamp which just makes the bass boomy and seems to swallow some details.
That is why I want a transparent amp like the o2, so it doesn't alter the sound but just delivers the signal from my UR22 to the headphones.
So basically I now have, like in the beginning of my headphones-journey, two questions:
1. are the k712 good for mastering/production or are there better ones in that price range (I can get it for ca. 360€ new and selaed)?
2. is the canamp so transparent that I should be keeping and using it or are alternatives, esp. the o2, better? if so which one would you pick?

Aug 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #6 of 7
Can't really answer either of your questions since I'm not really knowledgeable about mastering/production, and it's been years since I had the CanAmp.

You do need a surprisingly powerful amp to drive a K7xx properly though, that much I know. As in actual numbers—high voltage & current capability at the 62 Ohm impedance. I've compared the K712 on different amps (the original K701 as well) and found that a technically powerful amp will really make it come alive. Not a night & day difference, but very noticeable. You're likely to get better results with the CanAmp than the O2, which has low output power specs.

And why not just buy the headphones to try it for yourself? You could try to get a used pair here on Head-Fi in the classifieds and re-sell for minimal loss.

Aug 7, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #7 of 7
okay, but I worry about the heed influencing my sound with the k712 or having bad synergy.
it wold be really cool if someone had the two of them (just loud thinking on my side .D) and could test them real quick. no extensive listening or anything, just quick and dirty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back