Amp for iPod and PC?
Jun 26, 2008 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

yammerz

New Head-Fier
hey guys, i'm looking for a portable amp that i can use for my iPod and my PC (i've got an x-fi xtremegamer sound card), preferably for $250US or less, but i'll push $300 if that's what's required.

with the PC i am about to buy some AKG K171s and at the same time get a set of in ear-phones (looking at around $100 for those, havent completely decided which to get yet)

if such a thing exists i'd like to get an amp i can run off battery power for my ipod, and AC power for using with the PC, i found the Headroom Total BitHead, which looked good but it overrides the sound card when used with the PC.

and i live in australia so international shipping is a must

thanks heaps in advance to anyone who can help me out on this!
biggrin.gif

PS. i won't be replying for a while, i'm heading off to sleep.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by yammerz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if such a thing exists i'd like to get an amp i can run off battery power for my ipod, and AC power for using with the PC, i found the Headroom Total BitHead, which looked good but it overrides the sound card when used with the PC.

And this is a bad thing why? In almost all cases getting the musical signal out of the computer is only going to benefit the sound. Besides, the DAC in the Total Bithead is better than the one on your sound card. Plus, the TBH runs off computer power when used via USB. So it's battery opperated for iPod use and computer powered when used with your laptop. Also, Headroom provides velco tabs you can use to attach the TBH to both your iPod and Laptop. I have one an it works (and sounds) great. Plus the price is right. You won't find better, and it fits all your requirements. Buy one and enjoy.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #3 of 35
Sounds like you could use a Ibasso D2 Boa. It's both a portable amp and DAC all in one for the price of $175-185 shipped. When hooked up to your PC through the supplied USB cable, it turns into an external sound card. The built in rechargable battery lasts 38ish hours for your Ipod and it recharges through USB. I have its rarer brother the Ibasso D2 Viper and I couldn't be happier.

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:26 PM Post #4 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you could use a Ibasso D2 Boa. It's both a portable amp and DAC all in one for the price of $175-185 shipped. When hooked up to your PC through the supplied USB cable, it turns into an external sound card. The built in rechargable battery lasts 38ish hours for your Ipod and it recharges through USB. I have its rarer brother the Ibasso D2 Viper and I couldn't be happier.

X2 for the boa, exactly what I use it for.

Jun 26, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 35
Also be sure to look into the Go Vibe Petite, its widely underrated IMO. Around the price range of 200, and it has a DAC function.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:00 PM Post #7 of 35
x4 for the Boa! It is great, I just got mine today. Actually I am thinking about ordering a second one!

Jun 27, 2008 at 2:56 AM Post #8 of 35
i just did some googling and had a look at what was suggested... i have to say the Boa is exactly what i was looking for, just what i had in mind
biggrin.gif

thanks to everyone who contributed!
biggrin.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #10 of 35
iBasso D2 VIPER!! or the D2 Boa

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:07 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by RAQemUP /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Where can i purchase Ibasso? I go to the website, but the price is not in US dollars. Is there any other places to buy in the US?

Same thing with Qables cables though

thanks.

Jul 1, 2008 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelv20850 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can i purchase Ibasso? I go to the website, but the price is not in US dollars. Is there any other places to buy in the US?

thanks.

Email them and tell them you want to pay in $$$ and they will tell you how. That's what I did.

Jul 2, 2008 at 11:09 AM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by michaelv20850 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks.

You've just come up with another good readon to buy from a US manufactuer - service. Imagine how expensive (not to mention the time, safety and hassle) of having to send your amp out of the country for any problems that may develop. I can tell you that Headroom's turnaround time is very quick, and I would assume RSA would be just as good. Worth thinking (seriously) about.

Jul 2, 2008 at 2:38 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by JMCIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've just come up with another good readon to buy from a US manufactuer - service. Imagine how expensive (not to mention the time, safety and hassle) of having to send your amp out of the country for any problems that may develop. I can tell you that Headroom's turnaround time is very quick, and I would assume RSA would be just as good. Worth thinking (seriously) about.

Thanks for reminding me. Which US company do you recommend? I am new to portable headphone amp. Some of the brands i look in this forum do not exist anymore such as Go-Vibe.

I would prefer good and reasonable price unit so that i can go with Ipod Classic. This is mainly for use on the go.

For IEM, i'm torn between Denon AH-C551 and Super Fi 3 .

thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back