amp for HD650
Jun 1, 2004 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
another stupid thread about amps
I think I finally got the amp sickness
rolleyes.gif

seriously speaking : I'd like to get an amp for hd650 that make listening a natural experience ( make headphones disappear )
I'd like to stay on hd650 organic presentation ( that's natural and close to life to me ) so i don't want to add any tube oomph or fast pace to my listening ... just want it as much natural as it can get

Jun 1, 2004 at 12:34 PM Post #2 of 43
I can recommend the two amps I use with the HD 650. The HA-2 offers higher dynamic contrast and precision and more clarity, while the EMP sounds a bit more organic, liquid and airy -- more natural so to speak. (No «tube oomph» BTW.)

Others get very good results with Singlepower amps, Emmeline HR-2 and Perreaux.

I don't think it's a good idea to exclude tube amps. Some of them may have to offer exactly what you're looking for.

peacesign.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:23 PM Post #4 of 43
HD 650 + Rudistor RP5 Reference is a amazing combo !!!

Best!
Nicola

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 43
jazz - I am tempted by the earmax / earmax pro but it is a valve amp ... there's a chance it sounds "midrangy" and tuby ?( that for my little exp. can be gorgeus but not natural / close to life ) let me know again what you think

EDIT I'm getting some info on the earmax not to be very airy and rather rolled off in highs

Jun 1, 2004 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 43
If I could make an educated guess - the Perreaux has what I'd call a natural sound with my Senn600's. So maybe it wouldn't be a huge stretch to say they'd do well by the 650's.

Jun 1, 2004 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by boodi
I'm very tempted by the earmax pro but it is a valve amp ... i think i will have some troubles for spending half my wallet and being disappointed by the tuby sound (that for my little exp. can be gorgeus but not natural / close to life) let me know what you think

There may be some consequencial costs in the form of (NOS) tubes, so it's not a cheap amp indeed. I don't hear any overly coloration, and the A/B comparison to the direct connection to the DAC's line-out shows that it alters the signal by no means more than the HA-2, just differently. But it's hard to know if you would like the sound, I just think you may be a little biased against tubes due to bad experiences.

Quote:

I'm gettingh some info on the earmax not to be very airy .....and very rolled off in highs

It depends on the tubes -- with my assembly (1x Siemens ECC81, 2x Telefunken E88CC) it's liquid-smooth in the midrange and airy in the treble, even more so than the Corda). Slightly less forward treble than the HA-2 though, but (perveivably) even more extended (FR goes up to 1 MHz) and certainly not rolled-off.

I don't want to talk you into tubes (although it's actually tubes which are known for their organic and natural reproduction which you seem to be after) if you have some reservation, and -- who knows -- maybe I would chose a solid-state amp myself if I were in your situation. But what about a hybrid like the Rudistor (which I'm a bit interested myself)? Or why not the Perreaux? There are quite a few amps which seem to mate well with the HD 650.

All I can say is that I also like the Corda HA-2 a lot for its precision and warm clarity (if that makes any sense to you).

peacesign.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 3:49 PM Post #8 of 43
I have the Sennheiser HD-650 paired with the Rudistor RP5 Reference and it is by far the sweetest combination I have heard.

I have also heard :-

HD-650 + Headroom MAX (maxxed out) with Stepped Attenuator
HD-650 + Grace Design 901
HD-650 + Maxxed out PPA
HD-650 + Woo Audio 1
HD-650 + ASL AQ1005DT
HD-650 + Emmeline Stealth

And NOTHING quite matches up to the HD-650 + Rudistor RP5 Reference combo.
cool.gif

The RP5 I own was not mine initially. I was bent on getting a Headroom MAX because (it is a very close second) I loved the sound. I went to a meet, heard the Rudistor and I was flabbergasted by its performance! ALL THAT at almost half the price of the Headroom MAX!!
eek.gif

It was a no brainer...I got the Rudistor on audition and I am taking ownership of it in instalments ($$$ is hard to come by
frown.gif
)

Cheers!

Jun 1, 2004 at 4:01 PM Post #9 of 43
The Singlepower amps offer a very natural experience with the Sennheisers. They are tube amps but do not have the traditional tube sound (soft midrange with rolled off frequency extremes).

The Sennheisers mate best IMO with tubes.

Jun 1, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #10 of 43
The 650s + the Perreaux is a very good combination. This weekend I'll get to hear the 650s with a few different tube amps and will let you know how it comparies to the Perreaux.

Jun 1, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #11 of 43
Larry at Larocco made this amp for me to go with my HD 650s and neutrality was exactly what I was after, too...
devil_phones.thumb.gif

the_rig_3.jpg

You might want to have a word with him...
devil_phones.thumb.gif

Jun 1, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #12 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Larry at Larocco made this amp for me to go with my HD 650s and neutrality was exactly what I was after, too...

we know about your incredible little beast
evil_smiley.gif

PS neutrality is not natural sound
...i was referring to a "natural sound" thinking more of a synergy with hd650 then of a character of the amp ..

acs326 : I wait for your comparison ( keep in mind and focus your ears on the most natural sound
rolleyes.gif
)

Jun 1, 2004 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

we all know about your incredible little beast
evil_smiley.gif

PS neutrality is not natural sound
...i was referring to a "natural sound" thinking more of a synergy with hd650 then of a character of the amp ..

acs326 : I wait for your comparison ( keep in mind and focus your ears on the most natural sound
rolleyes.gif
)

Hi Boodi!! I'm just waiting a wee bit for everything to settle and then I'll post my views, though they won't be of great use as they compare to nothing but my old CDP....
confones.thumb.gif

In explanation of what I meant, what I'm personally searching for is the closest sound I can come to standing next to the artist in the studio. I don't want the music coloured to my taste, just as natural sounding as possible....I'm still very much in the developing stages but Larry and many others seem to consider the PPA a very natural sounding amp with great detail, well matched with the HD 650s. Nothing I've heard so far (50 hours or so) goes against that, IMO.

Jun 1, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #14 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by ipodstudio
Hi Boodi!! I'm just waiting a wee bit for everything to settle and then I'll post my views, though they won't be of great use as they compare to nothing but my old CDP....
confones.thumb.gif

In explanation of what I meant, what I'm personally searching for is the closest sound I can come to standing next to the artist in the studio. I don't want the music coloured to my taste, just as natural sounding as possible....I'm still very much in the developing stages but Larry and many others seem to consider the PPA a very natural sounding amp with great detail, well matched with the HD 650s. Nothing I've heard so far (50 hours or so) goes against that, IMO.

it can be that maybe a maxed ppa is a bit on the edgy/electric side of the sound ..?
just asking

Jun 1, 2004 at 10:05 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

it can be that maybe a maxed ppa is a bit on the edgy/electric side of the sound ..?
I'm just asking
eek.gif

My thoughts up to know are that solid state amp give a somewhat un-natural cut to the sound , it's something that has to do strictly with electricity and the way it's managed by the op-amp ..( i only listened to opa amps amplifier up to know )

Dunno, the full monty is silky smooth except with instruments like electric guitars where the raw slide of the plectrum down the strings can be heard with vivid detail. I listen to alot of country music and that was exactly what I wanted. I love it..
rickmeister.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back