amp for hd650
Feb 6, 2009 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

librarian

500+ Head-Fier
I've decided to go for hd650 with saa euqinox cable, so now the only thing left to decide is which amp. But that seems at the end to be the toughest choice of all, since there are so many different opinions on that topic...

To be more specific, what I need is an amp, that is powerful enough to drive the hd650 properly - also at low volumes (well, that's an issue, right?).

My source is a NAD C352 reciever. It's not exactly high-end, but not really bad either, I like the sound...). Will it be overkill to get a used Raptor or something like that?

Also have my eyes set on:

Tubes
Woo3/Woo3+/Woo6 (can they be shipped to Europe?)
Darkvoice 3322

SS
Meier Arietta (is it too weak?)
MK3
Also heard good things about Graham Slee Solo

Not to open a discussion about ss vs. tubes - BUT is it a coincidence, that the most threads I've read about solid state amps focus a lot on rockmusic, while threads about tube amps often include jazz? Just wondering...

Anyways, I'd love to hear from people who know the hd650 in combination with these amps.

(musical preferences could be something like: Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, STAX records 50's/60's, early new orleans jazz, 50's/60's jazz (lots of that Hammond groove) - not to mention Cedric im Brooks & The Light of Saba :wink: I could go on for ages, but maybe it's not that important...

Feb 6, 2009 at 4:26 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by librarian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My source is a NAD C352 reciever. It's not exactly high-end, but not really bad either, I like the sound...). Will it be overkill to get a used Raptor or something like that?

Also have my eyes set on:

Tubes
Woo3/Woo3+/Woo6 (can they be shipped to Europe?)
Darkvoice 3322

SS
Meier Arietta (is it too weak?)
MK3
Also heard good things about Graham Slee Solo

Not to open a discussion about ss vs. tubes - BUT is it a coincidence, that the most threads I've read about solid state amps focus a lot on rockmusic, while threads about tube amps often include jazz? Just wondering...

Anyways, I'd love to hear from people who know the hd650 in combination with these amps.

(musical preferences could be something like: Ray Charles, Aretha Franklin, STAX records 50's/60's, early new orleans jazz, 50's/60's jazz (lots of that Hammond groove) - not to mention Cedric im Brooks & The Light of Saba :wink: I could go on for ages, but maybe it's not that important...

I haven't heard any of the amps you mention, but I owned the HeadFive for awhile, which is similar to the Arietta. It's a little polite with the HD-650, but still a good amp with good sound.

The rock people prefer solid state because it tends to have a lower output impedance and better control over the low end. You tend to get more bass impact from solid state.

Tubes don't always have great control over the low end, since they generally have a higher output impedance, so the damping factor tends to not to be as high. You'll hear that show up in the low end as softer, more bloomy bass. There are exceptions, but you'll find that in most amps.

However, you're going to hear much smoother mids and highs with tubes. Solid state can put an edge on the highs but tubes rarely do. For your music, I'd recommend taking a close look at a tube amp. I like a lot of the same music you do, and it sounds amazing on tubes.

Sorry I can't be of more help with the amps you're asking about, but a lot of people own those here and some should show up with their thoughts soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back