Amp for HD 650 options..
Oct 23, 2009 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

stevewestern

New Head-Fier
I am new to all this, and my internet access is very limited, so I hope this doesn't sound like I am lazy...
I have just got me some s/h Sennheiser HD650 phones and will be running them through a certain DAC that is not popular here, so I'll keep it anonymous for now.
The phones ought to be arriving soon, and I am curious about what second hand amps I might want to look out for.
Demo'ing is out before I buy, as I am in a remote area, so something i can sell on without loosing much would be good, and as I have no idea what an amp will do for the sound, I have no idea what the budget is - that said, I am not a wealthy man, having been unable to work for 2 years (do not ride a motor bike if you want to walk after the accident happens..)
So, how about a few different price ranges - say up to £300, £500 and then silly money - up to £1000. Ideally something easily available in the UK.
I would like to try a few over the next few months, then sell on what is left after I know what I have to keep, so please give me as much info as you can about what I can expect - my knowledge of headphones so far is limited to a pair of the cheapest Sennheiser phones sold way back in the '80's and some PX100's with my iRiver.
I am hoping for big things from my 650's with more to come with my DAC and maybe some fun making my mind up about whatever you can suggest !
Many thanks to all for any input,
Steve

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #3 of 20
Take a look at some of Dr. Meier's amps. They're easily obtained in the EU and he has several models that fit your needs. Further, the quality is excellent and Dr. Meier has done more than his fair share to support this community.

You might also like his crossfeed circuit - it's the best that I've heard.

Oct 24, 2009 at 6:28 AM Post #4 of 20
Thanks uncle Erik - I'll do just that.
ical - my internet access works at speeds of up to 30Kbits/sec, at best. Normally it takes me 10 seconds or so just to get to a page, thus making it hard to search much, and as I don't really know where to start, I was hoping to get some pointers - uncle Erik has done so, your post didn't really help. For me, a forum is a place to help and learn, giving advice as and when, rather than posts like yours. I am new here, but if your post is typical of the sort of answers people here give then I may not be staying long. Happily, my experience so far has been mainly positive.

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 20
ical - I apologize too. I'll look at the link you posted.
alvin sawdust - great name, and thanks - I've not heard of Darkvoice before, and will take a look at LuckyFrog audio and Dr Meier.

Oct 24, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #8 of 20
I'll back up Alvin with the Darkvoice recommendation, I use the 332 and love it, If your budget won't stretch to a new one keep an eye on the FS forum here. Your money will go a lot further.

Oct 24, 2009 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 20
I would imagine the Little Dots are available to you. In any case, the one I have has been very good for me with the 650. Taste is a very subjective thing so please consider each recommendation you get here just an opinion. Good luck!

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #11 of 20
Some good EU options:
Ergo Amp1 £275
Graham Slee novo £250
Graham Slee solo £325 with switching psu.
Lehmann Rhinelander £400
Creek OBH21SE £250.
Meier Audio Cantate.2 410EUR
Rudistor NX-03: 600EUR

Some good Non EU options:
Audio-gd amps
Darkvoice Figaro
Kicas purity audio.
VHP2 from island audio.
GS1 (900USD) or Gilmore lite (450USD) from headamp
headroom.com's ultra desktop amp. (600USD)

Oct 24, 2009 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 20
chris ah1
Now that's the sort of reply I was hoping for - a list of stuff to check out and look into.
I have emailed Lucky Frog audio, am going to keep my eyes open in the for sale sections, but will also contact Graham Slee and Dr Meier and look at the others you mention.
Many thanks !
I've not yet found anyone who can supply me with a Little Dot in the UK or Spain, but that is in part down to my internet taking forever to load pages, and my limited experience in internet use - you guys with broadband do not know how lucky you are !
I like carledwards input about taste is subjective - isn't it just so, making it so hard to recommend anything, but experience of ownership seems to me to be important and wirth listening to.
Thanks all so far...!

Oct 25, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #15 of 20
I can't recommend the Little Dot MKVI+ highly enough. I love it with my HD600. Others have used their HD650 on it and found it great also.

Balanced and unbalanced with tubes for about $700 USD. This amp is of the level that it could be your final amp. I am reasonably sure it will be mine.

LD service is excellent also. All of my numerous emails to David have been answered within 12 hours. I had the power switch on my LD MKVI go out a couple months ago and David had a new part on the way asap free of charge (no shipping either).

here is their official website: www.little-tube.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back