Amp for Grado sr 225i.
Jul 6, 2013 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

MRpilgrim

New Head-Fier
Hi. I am currently using the Grado sr225i with a fiio E7 with the dac function connected to a laptop. I am in no hurry to upgrade but would like to know which amps/dacs would be good for $200 and under. Currently eyeing the Schitt magni/modi , little dot 1+ and aune t1. Thanks in advance

Jul 6, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #2 of 9
I have not heard the Modi/Magni, but I have the ODAC and Objective 2 amp and a Little Dot I+. The ODAC/O2 and Modi/Magni have been described by some as equivalent in SQ (both are solid state amps). My experience with my amps and the SR225i is that either the Little Dot I+ or the O2 does well with the SR225i: the Little Dot I+ giving a little more warmth, and the O2 a little more clarity. And I prefer both setups to my FiiO E17 when used as DAC/amp.

So if you went with the Modi and either the Magni or the Little Dot I+, I think you could be happy with either. I haven't heard the Aune T1, but I would recommend separates for the option to try a different amp later without having to pay for a new DAC, too.

One other amp you might consider is the C&C BH. It's portable, with an 80 hour battery life. If you could use the portability with other devices, it's a nice option. While I think the Little Dot I+ and O2 have a little edge on sound quality, the BH has a very nice soundfield option that makes it worth the money in this price range, too, given its small size and battery life.

Jul 7, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #4 of 9
Listening to Gojira right now with my 225i and LD1+, it's nice. Nice and warm, but retains the Grado's fantastic ability to convey crunch. It's a very good combo for rock.

Jul 7, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 9
Thanks for the reply. Is the little dot 1+ good with rock music? ( arctic monkeys, the clash, the Beatles etc.)

I wouldn't worry about that. Best strategy is to buy the headphones that suite the genre, then the amp to suit the headphones. :)

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
May I know what dac you are using? Thanks.

Just the stuff in my sig, the Xonar DG soundcard.

Also, I do recommend trying alternative tubes and opamps. I'm using the LT1364 opamp which I felt brought the mids forward (subtly) and increased the overall crispness and definition. As for the M8100 tubes compared to the stock chinese ones, warmth and thickness are the big changes there for me. The stock tubes feel thinner (almost less 'condensed' sounding if that makes sense) and a bit colder. To put it into analogy, it's like the different between felt and wool. The latter (Mullards) is simply thicker and more pleasurable. I think you could make the argument that the Mullards lose a tiny bit of speed or definition but the LT1364 counteracts that.

Sep 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 9
DELETED

Users who are viewing this thread

Back