Amp for ER-4P w/ Nomad II MP#
May 29, 2002 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

maynard123

New Head-Fier
I have ER-4P's connected to a Nomad II MP3 player. It sounds good, but not quite the volume I need. I use this setup for jogging, walking, and running, so I'm looking for a very portable solution.

Is the Airhead 4.5 portable amp the way to go?

Thanks.

Maynard

May 29, 2002 at 11:53 PM Post #2 of 9
maynard123 -

Do you really want someone to just agree with you ,or do you want an opinion? If you want the former, stop now and go back to the rest of the board.
Still with me?
wink.gif

OK... Why a runner would want to add an amp, even as one as small as an Airhead, to his load is beyond me. You got a nice small mp3 player. Why add more bulk? I would rather run as close to naked as possible. Screw primo sound while running/exercising!

Also, do you actually run with the Ety's on/in? I would think that the isolation while running anywhere is too dangerous.

My advice is to save the Ety's for home/leisure walking/portable uses. Get an efficient pair of cheap Sony 821 or 828 earbuds, or Sony v34 verticals for running. Anything in the 16ohm range. They should provide plenty of volume out of the little Nomad, not isolate you from potential dangers, and not have to be cared for so delicately as the Ety's. Strap/tape that Nomad to your arm/waist and be on your way!

May 30, 2002 at 1:48 PM Post #3 of 9
jpelg,

Thanks for the great tips! By the way, I neglected to specify that I am doing my running on a treadmill in a gym that blares out Britney Spears through it's loudspeaker system, so I'm ok with the isolation that the Ety's give me. I hear no Britney, just what's in my little Nomad II which is in my T-shirt pocket while I'm running on the treadmill. It works very well.

For some reason, it seems that I'm not getting enough volume recently out of the Ety's. I think my hearing hasn't changed, and I've cleaned the little rubber earplugs. Is it possilbe that something is clogging up the metal (speaker) end of the Ety's? Is there a way to clean this? It looks fine.

By the way, I also use the Ety's on plane flights about once per month, mainly to watch laptop-based DVD's. Sound is great.

Thanks again for the tip on the Sony earbuds.

Maynard

May 30, 2002 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

I've cleaned the little rubber earplugs. Is it possilbe that something is clogging up the metal (speaker) end of the Ety's?

The Ety's have filters inside the transducer stems to keep "things" from getting inside. They are green in color and need to be replaced periodically. You should have received some replacement filters and a tool to do this. You shouldn't have to replace them often, but when they need it the sound sounds muffled. Take a look at the instructions and it explains it.

Hope this helps.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #6 of 9
maynard,

do you have the original Nomad II or the MG. i bought a used Nomad II (regular) and love it to death, and was thinking of getting the 4p to use with it (as well as for stationary listening). does the insufficient volume you note only occur when running? or does this always happen with the nomad? also, what volume level on teh Nomad are you using in each case.

thx in advance.

Jun 3, 2002 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 9
TheWart,

I got a recommendation from JMT (this thread) to change the filters in the 4P, and that really did the trick. The volume is now sufficient for all my uses. I usually use around "20" on the Nomad II volume level. It maxes out at 25.

Thanks to JMT for the help.

Maynard

Users who are viewing this thread

Back