Amp for DT770 250 ohm?
Nov 2, 2008 at 9:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

turboflame

New Head-Fier
I bought one of these while the big sale was going on and was wondering about how much of a difference an amp would make. I've been running them off my onboard sound (Realtek ALC888) which can run them at decent volumes just fine. The problem is that there is almost no bass and it sounds very hollow. The treble is piercing and fatiguing as well.

Would an amp really solve this? There would have to be a pretty drastic improvement in order for me to keep these things. I'm willing to spend around $100 so I've been looking at the headroom airhead and the little dot 1+ but I'm new to all of this. Would I be better off just selling these and buying some SR80s?

I'm just looking for suggestions. You guys are the experts.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #2 of 6
From the other big thread regarding these headphones, I think it seems clear that those who were pleased with them were amping them with some beefy home amps, while those who didn't like them generally had weak portables. They really sound like they're difficult to drive, so with a limited budget, you might want to consider an appropriate (inexpensive yet good) DIY amp.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:20 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From the other big thread regarding these headphones, I think it seems clear that those who were pleased with them were amping them with some beefy home amps, while those who didn't like them generally had weak portables. They really sound like they're difficult to drive, so with a limited budget, you might want to consider an appropriate (inexpensive yet good) DIY amp.

Yeah, I don't really have any experience with a soldering iron. I might look into it though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A reasonable home amp would solve this is my guess

I've been blown away by how well this guy works with tubes - How about trying to find a Millet Starving Student amp?

Do you know a website or something where I can buy one pre-made? Or if I could get all of the parts for it at radioshack or something like that I would give it a shot.

Nov 2, 2008 at 10:23 PM Post #5 of 6
I should have elaborated further that I actually meant buying a ready-made DIY amp from a DIY amp builder. Sorry for the confusion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back