Amp for DT 990- I cannot find a straight answer
Mar 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

bhamlaxy

New Head-Fier
After sifting through hundreds of threads and google searches, I cannot get a straight answer.

I am new to high-quality headphones and want the DT 990 250 as it seems to be what I need- open, good bass, etc. I primarily listen to trance, techno, house etc.

There are three amps I am interested in
- Fiio e11 (or e9)
- Total Bithead
- Schiit Magni

So my budget is around $100.

The problem? After browsing every thread on the subject, for each of these amps I find several reviews saying
- "This amp can totally drive the DT 990 250. It's perfect!"
- "This amp completely underpowers the 990. I HATE IT"
- "This amp probably works well"

Seriously, I started compiling data on the various answers and it's all over the board. 

Any help or recommendations? I want to pull the trigger so badly but can't until I'm sure I'm getting the best bang for my buck. 

Mar 31, 2013 at 3:34 PM Post #2 of 7
I would recommend the 600 ohm version of this headphone.  It is a little smoother with some more meat on the bones.  These do require more voltage than some amps can provide. But, the Magni outputs high voltage.  This combo should be pretty killer.

Apr 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #6 of 7
I just paid $268 shipped for the 600 ohm on Amazon.  Could hardly wait to try them out on my WA6...

Apr 3, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #7 of 7
DT990-600. Get a cheap OTL amplifier with a lot of power and good measurements. Roll in some warm tubes that bring the midrange forward. Enjoy. No solid state please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back