AMp for Byer 770 Pro: Creek or Maxed out meta Meta 42
Nov 14, 2002 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

x1lexure

100+ Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a home amp for my Beyerdynamic 770 pros. Some have sayed they like the pairing of the Creek OBh-11 and 770 Pro. But could a meta42 at the same price out perform the Obh-11?

Nov 15, 2002 at 1:41 AM Post #2 of 9
I'd say go with the meta42. A DIY amp will sound better than a commercial amp at the same price. Less overhead, etc. And the meta42 will give you tons of options for later, since its works well with damn near anything. Personally, I'm not a fan of the creek.
wink.gif

Nov 16, 2002 at 12:34 PM Post #4 of 9
The dt770pro with creek obh-11 really opens up its soundstage, very realistic sounding it can give you a more outside your head experience too.
The bass is punchier, warmer
treble very smooth.
much much better than unamped.

I do not have meta42 to compare with me. But from what I have heard from fellow head-fier who also pair em with creek, they are fantastic.

Also, I do not really believe that the creek is a dud. Sure they may use cheaper components but they still sound good at their price.I would say reasonable price. Guess it also depends, coz I dun like to ask people do build meta for me.. the money transaction will be problematic since I'm only a high school student. It isn;t possible to deal with credit card and stuffs.. I bought them for $170.

Nov 17, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #6 of 9
x1lexure -

Can't PM or emai you. Shameless plug - see my "upgrade fund" link below (in my sig) for info on the Creek. FYI.

-j

Nov 18, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by poorimpulsectrl
My sentiments parallel Guyferd's. While I'm sure a Meta42 for the same money would sound better than the Creek OBH-11, it's not as if the Creek does an unacceptable job with the Beyer DT770's.

that's just the point. If for the same money, it sounds better. . . why not?

Nov 18, 2002 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by andrzejpw
that's just the point. If for the same money, it sounds better. . . why not?

Convenience. Which is something people sometimes forget money is often exchanged for.

Nov 18, 2002 at 6:34 AM Post #9 of 9
true.
however it is more than that.
This is just my personal opinion.
I think that the DIY amp is regarded cheap in the eys of some people. It is because they use whatever case that can fit nicely. They look fragile.. some of them. But of course there are some really well made ones like wodgy meta42 casing, damn nice wooden case. That one is different. It will fetch high value inthe market. But then again, it takes alot of time , patience, skill to make the same amp again.. do you think wodgy will be satisfied if you just pay him a little sum to make such a beautiful amp?
I doubt so!

Layman will not usually buy a cheap looking amp although the sound may be good. For creek, the casing although is not beautiful but it is damn solid and has no scracth, unlike DIY amp which has scratches here and there.

That really brings down the value of the DIY amp, of course convenicence is the other. Sometimes there are nearby hi fi shops that sell creek and will save you trouble rather than have to wait weeks for the meta42. That's just my $0.2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back