Amp for beyerdynamic dt 990 2005 edition ?
Dec 7, 2008 at 10:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

BOgdncrsti

Head-Fier
What amp does a good job with thease headsets for 100 euro price ? Thanks for any good recomandation !
darthsmile.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:04 PM Post #2 of 17
I hate to dash your hopes - but no. While I luv 'em and have had a pair since they were first offered - they require home amp. power - and a lot of it. I use a Corda Prehead MKII, and someday when I get around to it - I'd prefer to raise the gain a bit on it simply for the dt990/600. Also, you want to stick with a SS amp. for them.

Dec 8, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #3 of 17
A 100 euro amp cant drivem or they sound bad ???? and how much cost one goood ?
confused.gif
I cant buy a $1,295.00 amp somthing lower at max half of the headsets price i think its strange to pay more for an amp than for a headphone

Dec 8, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BOgdncrsti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
think its strange to pay more for an amp than for a headphone

Get used to it.
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:22 PM Post #6 of 17
Sorry - no. The cheapest that comes to mind might be an ASL Mg Head OTL MKIII - used (there was someone here who offered theirs used for $280 USD used - but you would need to get some NOS tubes for it - primarily replace with Raytheon 5751...and a pair of matched tubes [eg. Amperex]). The Raytheon 5751 is absolutely necessary. You purchased, IMO a "best buy" in headphones - but you have to spend the money for an amp to allow them to perform up to near their capabilities. There is no way around it. Tho' I still prefer the aforementioned Corda. Sorry for your wallet
frown.gif

Edit: You could have also purchased a pair of Headphile X-Deep Darthbeyers, which would have been nearly double the cost of the dt990/600, and used a relatively cheap Corda amp.. You have to do your pre- purchase homework and also do the math. Both setups are excellent choices.

Dec 8, 2008 at 9:44 PM Post #7 of 17
for a little more would the zero dac be worth it?? what about one of those G&W "something" tj1. they can be got for £80 with the pound being so low thats got to be about 80euro.

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #8 of 17
I have to agree with the posters who called for power. I rarely used my 990s with my portable amp after I got my Grados, but after I acquired my tube amp, they are getting on my head about half mt listening time. This confirmed what I had dicovered at meets tryig my cans with various tube amps. Save your dough for an amp with some serious juice.

Dec 9, 2008 at 1:23 AM Post #10 of 17
In that instance, you should be able to use a portable Corda (Jan Meier Audio), a version an appropriate Xin Supermacro would cost you more..........I'd jumped to the conclusion you'd purchased a Beyer Manufaktur amp, where most folks (IMO) would have chosen the 600ohm versions. I suggest the two mfg. above because they produce a sound more consonent with Beyer. Actually, Jan has always preferred Beyer and voiced them accordingly.

Dec 9, 2008 at 3:48 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, you want to stick with a SS amp. for them.

Why?

I have DT990pro 250ohm and have been driving them out of my EMU 0404 USB whiich has a 20mw ClassA headphone amp. It can drive them ok but not as well as I would like. My Onkyo SR505 reciever drives them much better but there is a bit of bass bloat compared to the EMU. Here's an option you might want to consider.

http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/infra_amon.php

It has 60mw headphone amp. I haven't heard one but a friend just ordered one so will see how it is with DT990 soon.

Someone recommended to me Corda Arietta for use with DT990 and I see one is for sale right now for $225.00 but he is not in NA so don't want to purchase.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...rietta-385765/

Dec 9, 2008 at 11:44 AM Post #13 of 17
Hey, I've been comparing my EMU 0404 to my Onkyo SR505 for driving the DT990 and the EMU is actually doing very well. More punchy and detailed than the Onbkyo headphone out and don't need to turn up the volume as much as I thouhght. It was the JRive Media Jukebox player I was using because I have sound levelling enabled. On the XMplayer don't need to turn up the volume so high and 0404 plays DT9990 very loud at the 3/4 volume setting. I would say EMU 0404 USB is a decent and cheap solution to drive DT990, that also gives you a decent DAC that is isolated from the computer too. External DAC, headphone amp and decent USB soundcard with lots of recording features all for less than 200 bucks. Can't beat that.

Dec 9, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #14 of 17
In one hand, yes. The Corda Arietta is that i recommed him as one of the best amps (a big bang for the buck) for the DT990s 250ohm.
Used it with my Dt990s for a long time, and it gets the work done in spades with them. It has enough power to drive them loud enough...

Well, in other hand. Yes, i am not in USA; but what with that?...
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkweg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why?

I have DT990pro 250ohm and have been driving them out of my EMU 0404 USB whiich has a 20mw ClassA headphone amp. It can drive them ok but not as well as I would like. My Onkyo SR505 reciever drives them much better but there is a bit of bass bloat compared to the EMU. Here's an option you might want to consider.

Distributed by Auzentech. Audio You Can Believe In :: Products from our Partners

It has 60mw headphone amp. I haven't heard one but a friend just ordered one so will see how it is with DT990 soon.

Someone recommended to me Corda Arietta for use with DT990 and I see one is for sale right now for $225.00 but he is not in NA so don't want to purchase.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f42/fs...rietta-385765/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back