Amp for AKG701 for rock music
Mar 1, 2008 at 8:44 AM Post #16 of 22
Interesting suggestions here... I have the K701s and listen to a lot of rock/metal. In this sort of price range, I actually prefer something like kevin gilmore's dynalo (or similar) amp for this type of music. DIY builds of them show up from time to time, and Headamp offers the Gilmore Lite if you'd rather go commercial. Either option I imagine would work well.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:00 AM Post #17 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by GarryH /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm with Manny re: the 701s being great for Rock. Via my Cayin HA-1A, they absolutely kick serious a**.

Soundstage: check (perhaps the best I've heard save the ATH W5000 via the Opera); smooth, nicely delineated bass: check; loads of detail: check; etc., etc.

Every few weeks, I switch between Yammy / ATH 1Ks to Cayin / AKG 701s and today was "switch day". Listening to Van Halen's "LIVE: Right here, right now" this morning had me grinning from ear to ear. My family must of thought I was having some sort of seizure . . . it's not easy to surf the web, drink my morning tea, and play air guitar all at the same time you know
eek.gif

Needless to say both the VH CD and the Cayin are highly recommended.

Cheers,
Garry

How is the detail using Cayin and K701's?

Mar 1, 2008 at 11:24 AM Post #18 of 22
Braddo,

The Cayin in ultralinear mode seems to exert superb control over the 701s. Because of this transients are sharper and more defined and, thus, I tend notice more detail versus other amps I've used.

In the VH CD in particular, there's a lot going on due to it being live performance and yet it seems that nothing is blurred. Due to the soundstage being very wide (for headphones that is), this makes it is easier for me to absorb all the detail - if that makes sense
confused.gif
. On the recording, Sammy Hagar has a lot of funny comments and really connects with the audience - so much so that I caught myself laughing as if I were looking around at the audience and a part of the show. IMO, it is the detail and subtle nuance that not only allows me to think about the performance but feel it as well. No worries mate, I'm not going Oprah on you re: feelings
rolleyes.gif
, only to say that were the 701s not up to the task, detail-wise, I'm not sure that kind of emotion, for a lack of a better term, would come through.

These factors gave me the closest thing to a "being there" experience I've had in a long time.

Cheers,
Garry

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #19 of 22
If the OP wanted an amp for Rock music, he should consider to get solid state amp, which is faster, more dynamic, but less mellow midrange than tubes amp, beside rock music will benefit the details, big bass from SS amp.

ATM, nothing comes to my mind when choosing SS amps for K701 beside :
- Heed Canamp
- LISA III
- B22
- GS-1

They're reportedly quite synergies with K701 for an SS amp.

Mar 1, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #20 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by shellylh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The DV332 (with 403B and Uly 6S19P-V tubes) and K701 is simply heavenly!!! I would highly recommend the combination.

I use a Darkvoice 332 with my K701 and I like it very much too. I listen to metal and rock mainly.
It's true that it isn't that great with bad recordings but the only really bad recorded stuff I listen to is black metal and this won't sound "hifi" anyway so I have no problem with that (listening to Darkthrone right now
biggrin.gif
).
I use Mullard M8100 and Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V tubes.

Mar 1, 2008 at 6:06 PM Post #21 of 22
That is true. The 701's can really show you how bad a recording is.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kataklystik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Darkvoice 332 with my K701 and I like it very much too. I listen to metal and rock mainly.
It's true that it isn't that great with bad recordings but the only really bad recorded stuff I listen to is black metal and this won't sound "hifi" anyway so I have no problem with that (listening to Darkthrone right now
biggrin.gif
).
I use Mullard M8100 and Ulyanovsk 6S19P-V tubes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back