Amp for AKG701 for rock music
Feb 29, 2008 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

hxiao

New Head-Fier
I just got my akg701 few weeks ago. I'm using ibasso D1 to drive it. I didnt get a tube amp at first place because Im leaving the country now. I found its painfull to listen to rock music from 701. its too bright.
So my question is does anyone use 701 to listen to rock at all? Is it possible to make 701 perform well for rock music? should I get a tube amp or trade 701 for another headphone?I listen to rock/meatal 60% of time and classical 30% of time.

Thx!

Feb 29, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 22
Its great IMHO,for rock and metal.First time I heard it was out of a NAIM Headline(~900+) listening to one of my fave metal albums (Dog Eat Dog) by Warrant.

Floored me.I also tried it with some clavichord and blues.I have not heard one,but the Darkvoice amps seem to get a lot of love around here on the forum,and are relatively low priced.

You may want to look into one.Might want to go to a meet first or find a shop that stocks both the AKG and a few different amps,so you can audition them together.GL !
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 29, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 22
I think you should get the Lehmann Linear for the AKG K 701.... thought mostly if you live in Europe, it is made in Germany. Excellent quality, just like the cars
wink.gif

Mar 1, 2008 at 12:41 AM Post #5 of 22
I really like the DV336 and 701 for rock.

My only advice is don't skimp on the tubes. Get some good quality tubes and you are laughing.

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:18 AM Post #6 of 22
you need to burn in the 701 First. It's piercing, harsh, and very bright sounding when new. After a FULL week of playing pink noise 24/7, it will be much more mellow.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 22
The DV332 (with 403B and Uly 6S19P-V tubes) and K701 is simply heavenly!!! I would highly recommend the combination.

Mar 1, 2008 at 3:11 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you need to burn in the 701 First. It's piercing, harsh, and very bright sounding when new. After a FULL week of playing pink noise 24/7, it will be much more mellow.

Break them in with the ibasso. It will get to 4-500 hours to fill the bass out but progressive rock throws a huge soundstage. An amp with enough power will really be a thrill. Try out some Ayreon or old Genesis.

Mar 1, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #10 of 22
As much as I love my K701s, I think it's still too analytical for rock - especially since rock recordings aren't the best quality (I'm looking at your direction, Jack White :p). I absoluly love K701s for classical/jazz/blues/or anything live though. I generally use ES7s or MS2is for rock. However, I really do enjoy my BADA PH-12 because it adds more impact to my music while not sacrificing detail.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #11 of 22
Burn in the K701 for up to 300 hours first. If you still don't like how your rock music sounds then find a different headphone. The effect of an amp tends to get overrated here - even tube amps aren't supposed to "transform" the K701 into something it's not.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:29 AM Post #12 of 22
I'm with Manny re: the 701s being great for Rock. Via my Cayin HA-1A, they absolutely kick serious a**.

Soundstage: check (perhaps the best I've heard save the ATH W5000 via the Opera); smooth, nicely delineated bass: check; loads of detail: check; etc., etc.

Every few weeks, I switch between Yammy / ATH 1Ks to Cayin / AKG 701s and today was "switch day". Listening to Van Halen's "LIVE: Right here, right now" this morning had me grinning from ear to ear. My family must of thought I was having some sort of seizure . . . it's not easy to surf the web, drink my morning tea, and play air guitar all at the same time you know
eek.gif

Needless to say both the VH CD and the Cayin are highly recommended.

Cheers,
Garry

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #13 of 22
i think the 701's sound great as long as the recording is REALLY good. I have some very rich recordings and the 701 brings out all the details...it's beautiful (it even sounds forward). My other phones cant touch it.

Unfortunately on Most recordings that i have (almost everything i have is EAC ripped from original discs + Flac encoded) the 701 sounds really thin, extremely lifeless, and sucky.

Maybe i just need to go analog...lol

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by braddo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a similar question but don't know how to start a new thread (i'm dumb). Can anyone help me? thanks

there's "new thread" button in left-top corner of forums - good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back