Amp for AKG K701
Feb 16, 2010 at 7:51 AM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkJnK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm really happy with the MF V8p, but this is over your price range. So I'll recommend the Corda Headfive which was 97% of the sound and performance of the V8p for around $200 on the sales forums. Nice bass, excellent power and wonderful detail.

I'd rather buy it new, do you know how much the Corda Headfive costs new, and do you think it will be a better amp than the MiniMax for K701?

Feb 16, 2010 at 8:16 AM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sasahara /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you go over that $200 mark by any chance? If so, how much?

I could go over the pricerange, but everyone knows that DIY gives you more for the money..

thanks for the feedback guys!

BcPk:
What about hybrids?

Feb 16, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #19 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps, saving for a Shanling P100 (used) it´s a good idea.

I've already decided to go the Diy way : /

Aug 31, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #20 of 53
Great thread... I too have just bought K701 myself and looking for the right amp for them... and after reading this, diy amp sounds perfect for me...

But I have a lower budget in my mind then the OP...
So if the OP permits... can anyone advise me a DIY amp kit for around $100-120 max...
(To OP: if this is not ok I'll delete this question)

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #21 of 53
I've had the AKG k701s for about eight months now and I have them paired with a Total Airhead amplifier and an iPod with a SIK line-level-to-mini out.  It feels like the k701s are a little weak in the bass department, at least compared to my set of Denon d1001k's.  I recognize that the closed back of the Denons makes bass reproduction different than an open back, but I'm hoping that I can improve the k701s bass with a better amplifier and maybe a separate DAC so that I can just connect my computer instead of my iPod.  Questions:

1) How much improvement should I expect to see by upgrading to a better amp and/or separate DAC?  Basically, I'm not sure to what extent my headphones justify a cost of multiples of their price in the associate components?

2)Should I expect a significant improvement in bass by upgrading the Total Airhead to a more expensive amplifier?  I don't have access to a better amp to see how much different my headphones would sound, so I'm hoping I can get your opinions.  I'd like to try a tube amp, although I've seen unresolved discussions over whether the k701s are best paired with tube or ss amps.  I'm pretty new to everything, so I'm not sure that I'd benefit from anything that might require tube rolling.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Thomas

Sep 25, 2010 at 2:57 PM Post #22 of 53

Quote:
I've had the AKG k701s for about eight months now and I have them paired with a Total Airhead amplifier and an iPod with a SIK line-level-to-mini out.  It feels like the k701s are a little weak in the bass department, at least compared to my set of Denon d1001k's.  I recognize that the closed back of the Denons makes bass reproduction different than an open back, but I'm hoping that I can improve the k701s bass with a better amplifier and maybe a separate DAC so that I can just connect my computer instead of my iPod.  Questions:

1) How much improvement should I expect to see by upgrading to a better amp and/or separate DAC?  Basically, I'm not sure to what extent my headphones justify a cost of multiples of their price in the associate components?

2)Should I expect a significant improvement in bass by upgrading the Total Airhead to a more expensive amplifier?  I don't have access to a better amp to see how much different my headphones would sound, so I'm hoping I can get your opinions.  I'd like to try a tube amp, although I've seen unresolved discussions over whether the k701s are best paired with tube or ss amps.  I'm pretty new to everything, so I'm not sure that I'd benefit from anything that might require tube rolling.

Any help is much appreciated.  Thanks!

Thomas

1) You will notice a rather large improvement if you get the right amp and dac. As far as I understand the Heed Canamp has got great synergy with the K701. As far as justifying the price I believe the Canamp will be worth it as it provides the soundstage and the bass the K701 require.

2) You should! The Canamp should give the K701 the bass it needs. I think the pendulum is swinging more to solidstate amps as some of the "stock" tube amps can sound a little bright.

But it all depends on what you are used to. These answers are completely based on research as I am getting both of these very shortly so I may be wrong but that is what my research has lead me to believe. I will be using ipod line out into canamp with the K701's...then will purchase dac. Cant wait 
k701smile.gif

P.S. Apologies to the OP!

Sep 25, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #23 of 53
Thanks for the reply.  I just listened to the k701s on a Music Hall DAC with a headphone out jack and they had a lot broader soundstage than what I've been getting from them at home.  Not sure if that is because of the MH item or my limited amp and source at home.  Anyone have experience with the k701s and DACs that are meant for 2-channel stereo systems instead of headphone specific stuff?  I wonder if there are some good deals there?

Also, does anyone have the k701s and a Darkvoice tube amp?  or the k701s and a WooAudio 6?  3?  Is the Canamp the best for the k701s, and if so, what DAC would you recommend?  I've been looking at the Pico DACs, but I have no idea how to judge a really bad DAC from a good one?  Any help greatly appreciated.  Thankee!

Thomas 

Sep 26, 2010 at 5:45 AM Post #24 of 53
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/501046/first-impressions-lovely-cube-semi-diy-amp-lehmann-black-cube-linear-clone

Many people like this or the M-Stage for the 701.  This if you want to keep the cost down.

Sep 30, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #25 of 53
No problems, I find the reading very interestning. I have not yet purchased and amp, so I'm just glad that the thread continues.
I'm actually wondering about the darkvoice 337 myself. And considering a Meier Audio Concerto as an solid state option.

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:32 PM Post #26 of 53
The "best" and satisfy your listening needs sometimes aren't the same.

The 70x need power. If you want them to hit hard and give you a believable bass impact, you have to pay for power. 

It's not that an OTL amp can't handle the 70x, it's the cost of materials necessary to get that performance.

The 70x max. rating is 200 mw  but I'd recommend at least a 1/2 watt with large current reserves.

Sep 30, 2010 at 4:37 PM Post #27 of 53

Quote:
The "best" and satisfy your listening needs sometimes aren't the same.

The 70x need power. If you want them to hit hard and give you a believable bass impact, you have to pay for power. 

It's not that an OTL amp can't handle the 70x, it's the cost of materials necessary to get that performance.

The 70x max. rating is 200 mw  but I'd recommend at least a 1/2 watt with large current reserves.

Yes, bass impact is defenitely lacking on un amped 701. I can find many amps with that much output.
Tho, I still wan't it to sound detailed and clear, I dont need an amp that makes them ''blurry''

You have any examples of amps that can provide that amount of power?

Sep 30, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #28 of 53

Quote:

You have any examples of amps that can provide that amount of power?

I haven't the experience with headphone amps to give you product advice. If your source has great dynamics you want the amp to be able to breath as easily as the material. That means controlling that diaphragm. People usually relate an amp to volume. While you can set the gain to blow your head off, it may not have the slew rate to control your diaphragms. I don't want to have to worry about stalling out because my gear can't do the job. The headphone is easy to get, superior performance throughout a wide impedance range from a versatile amp is a bit tougher.

I've listened to maybe a dozen or so desktop amps that made the 70x sound as good as I've heard them. The Bijou, Beta 22, HeadRooms stack, Zana Deux, etc perform great. I've heard the smaller amps sound pretty good but they just didn't have the capacity to do what an amp with plenty of power supply does with the 70x.

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #29 of 53
quite a few people (I cant speak as it is the only amp I have) think Burson's HA160 suits the k701 well, however I have not compared it to the Heed Canamp.  The Burson definitely has enough power, and is well regarded.

Oct 2, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #30 of 53
The ones you post are a bit over my budget Happy Camper. But I see what types of amp you think will make a great match.
I've been looking at both Ha160 and Canamp. They are both solid state and withing my budget, they also seem to have enough output to please the K701.
It looks like the both of them would make a great match with the K701, question is which one of them will be best?

Edit: X-CAN V8P has even more power, anyone tried it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back