Amp for AKG K701/K702
Jul 28, 2022 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

daydreamer88

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Currently I'm Using Audio technica ATH M50x with Fiio A3 amp. sadly, after years of rough use, my headphone has died and im planning to get AKG K701/702 upon availability in UAE(Sennheiser HD 600 is not available in any stores this country) Do i need to buy an additional Amp or Fiio A3 does the trick?I Listen to Western classical, Indian, New age music mostly. is there a better option than AKG k701/702?? kindly help me out. Thank You!

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #2 of 12
Hi,
Currently I'm Using Audio technica ATH M50x with Fiio A3 amp. sadly, after years of rough use, my headphone has died and im planning to get AKG K701/702 upon availability in UAE(Sennheiser HD 600 is not available in any stores this country) Do i need to buy an additional Amp or Fiio A3 does the trick?

Will it get loud enough? Most likely.

Will it sound fantastic? Probably not - it's got a much lower sensitivity vs the M50X (roughly 3X more efficient) so it will require more power, and even though it won't necessarily need a huge monster amp, the question is how much would the A3 be distorting if you cranked it up more. Impedance vis a vis frequency is stable on those but I still find higher current performance to improve them. That also depends on what you want to improve over the ATH-M50X. For one, you'll get less bass and more ambient noise (ie even more bass reduction, depending on how noisy your room is*), so even getting an amp might not be enough either. Also the K701's cable isn't easy to replace unless you can solder. This is second set of concerns will probably have way more impact on what you'll hear than the amp considering that, while I won't consider the A3 adequate, it's not necessarily so utterly inadequate. Like...it's not that I'd absolutely not get that but I'd just use it as a back up.

What would I recommend best for it if you really wanna try these out? Heed CanAmp or the OG Burson Soloist.

*"Noisy" for me is already "one gaming computer with decent hardware for whcih you don't tune things down and take a performance hit

Listen to Western classical, Indian, New age music mostly. is there a better option than AKG k701/702??

Maybe the K712 since that has more low end response; still an open headphone though so ambient noise will still be more of a factor. And I'd still prefer a good desktop amp driving that one.

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 12

Will it sound fantastic? Probably not - it's got a much lower sensitivity vs the M50X (roughly 3X more efficient) so it will require more power, and even though it won't necessarily need a huge monster amp, the question is how much would the A3 be distorting if you cranked it up more. Impedance vis a vis frequency is stable on those but I still find higher current performance to improve them. That also depends on what you want to improve over the ATH-M50X. For one, you'll get less bass and more ambient noise (ie even more bass reduction, depending on how noisy your room is*), so even getting an amp might not be enough either. Also the K701's cable isn't easy to replace unless you can solder. This is second set of concerns will probably have way more impact on what you'll hear than the amp considering that, while I won't consider the A3 adequate, it's not necessarily so utterly inadequate. Like...it's not that I'd absolutely not get that but I'd just use it as a back up.

What would I recommend best for it if you really wanna try these out? Heed CanAmp or the OG Burson Soloist.

*"Noisy" for me is already "one gaming computer with decent hardware for whcih you don't tune things down and take a performance hit

Maybe the K712 since that has more low end response; still an open headphone though so ambient noise will still be more of a factor. And I'd still prefer a good desktop amp driving that one.
Thank you for the reply! but k712 is beyond my budget and it shows 525 USD in Amazon UAE. can you please suggest a better option, any brand. Again, thank You!

Jul 28, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #4 of 12
Thank you for the reply! but k712 is beyond my budget and it shows 525 USD in Amazon UAE. can you please suggest a better option, any brand. Again, thank You!

You need to be more specific, I only mentioned the K712 because I was assuming you already looked up the AKGs and want that kind of sound, but you may still not fully understand how the other aspects of the sound will change.

To wit, what in the sound of the ATH-M50X do you want to improve? Like if you want to retain bass but not necessarily get a wider and deeper soundstage then there's the DT1770 and DT770 if the newer one is beyond you budget.

Jul 29, 2022 at 6:19 AM Post #5 of 12
You need to be more specific, I only mentioned the K712 because I was assuming you already looked up the AKGs and want that kind of sound, but you may still not fully understand how the other aspects of the sound will change.

To wit, what in the sound of the ATH-M50X do you want to improve? Like if you want to retain bass but not necessarily get a wider and deeper soundstage then there's the DT1770 and DT770 if the newer one is beyond you budget.
I need to get wider, deeper soundstage and flat response. can you suggest any other brands equivalent to K702 or Audiotechnica M50X.? Thank You!

Jul 29, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #6 of 12
I don't usually disagree with ProtegeManiac, but I owned a K712 for quite a while and thought it sounded like junk. The hard truth is that everything AKG did to increase bass in the K701 line ended up ruining the soundstage and other attributes of the phone (like detail, too). I have had a very-early serial number, Austrian-made, original K701 for well over a decade. The soundstage with that headphone is beyond comparison with any other, including the HD800. However, there's a price - flimsy bass. That is exacerbated with insufficient amplification. The K701 is very current hungry. Most small portable amps are entirely inadequate.

If you want the soundstage, you have to give up thumping bass. (Even the HD800 is guilty of that.) The original K701 is a bit confusing in that regard. With proper amplification, the bass and very-deep sub-bass is all there. It's just not slamming like you can get in some headphones. Maybe the bass might best be compared to an IEM like Etys, the bass is all there, and you can hear the notes, but not much slam. Anyway, if you can accept that, the K701 will provide soundstage like no other and whopping detail, too.

You are correct to first think of the HD650/600. That's the headphone if you want soundstage with bass. (But there's still a compromise - the soundstage and detail is not in the same league as the K701 or HD800.)

Jul 29, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #7 of 12
I need to get wider, deeper soundstage and flat response. can you suggest any other brands equivalent to K702 or Audiotechnica M50X.? Thank You!

K702 would have much wider and deeper soundstage than the M50X, but that still depends on how the album was recorded and mastered. If that info isn't really there, not even a K1000 would magically put it there. Heck, even a speaker system in an acoustically dampened room can make the overall soundstage seem wider, but that's just because the area within which the system operates is bigger. The depth wouldn't improve at all either.

There's the HE4xx series but instead of a 60hz to 120hz bump as on most good headphones you'll get one that's practically flat from 1000hz down to 40hz if not all the way down to 10hz (most music won't have much below 45hz though). Problem is some in the HE4xx range dive above 1000hz, then rise up too early at around 3500hz or 4000hz, then dip a bit then go back up. The boost at that frequency over 1000hz isn't really bad, but the dip doesn't just make it look like a small volcanic island next to a continent cross section, to some people and/or some recordings that can make that peak sound seem sharper than it is. And while you can hear the bass range accurately, the lack of boost in the 50hz to 120hz or so range translates to some people perceiving the bass notes as weaker because in way, they actually are; if the ambient noise is high, that also makes it sound to some people like there's no bass at all.

HE400S has a response curve closer to other decent headphones from before planars got really better in objective terms (ie dynamics like the HD600, K70x, etc), not to mention the higher sensitivity and it being a planar driver not making them picky with amps being able to bring out that range better, but the problem is these are not being produced anymore. The HE400se I haven't tried out yet but just from the graphs, if we assume the differences aren't all from different compensation curves on newer rigs used to measure the HE400se, is kind of closer to the other HE4xx series, but that's also paired with a much lower sensitivity rating. Whereas the old HE400S needs about as much power as an HD600 or a comparable Beyer, the HE400se is more comparable to some of the HE5(xx) series. If anything the magnet design in there seems to preserve the perceptible bass more.

I don't usually disagree with ProtegeManiac, but I owned a K712 for quite a while and thought it sounded like junk. The hard truth is that everything AKG did to increase bass in the K701 line ended up ruining the soundstage and other attributes of the phone (like detail, too).

Yep if the bass is too strong there's just no way to image the bass to the rear. With speakers there's some wiggle room but in that case it's because, well, they're speakers and you can hear both channels with both ears but can also be something like using a sub and just positioning it far behind in the center of the two speakers. The K712 and K7XX also have flat earpads compared to the K501/(Q)701/702, probably because they're trying to make the K812 much better than the K712, kind of like the HD650/660S vs the HD800.

I did mention it though because in his case if he's coming off the relatively strong bass on the M50X which also has a closed back, the K701 and even the K702 can sound like they have no bass even if he gets a good amp.

I have had a very-early serial number, Austrian-made, original K701 for well over a decade. The soundstage with that headphone is beyond comparison with any other, including the HD800. However, there's a price - flimsy bass. That is exacerbated with insufficient amplification. The K701 is very current hungry. Most small portable amps are entirely inadequate.

I'm actually hunting for a K701 now. Not that I'd ditch my HD600 or otherwise don't like it, but the reality is, I got it at a time when the good headphone amps for the K701 were so the Heed CanAmp gets touted as practically the only one for it (locally available choices were far, far worse too, like...just the Creek and ProJect, and some Musical Fidelity). I got a Cantate.2 years after that and when I got to try a K701 and K702 on it the bass was there, unlike whatever I tried both on.

If you want the soundstage, you have to give up thumping bass. (Even the HD800 is guilty of that.) The original K701 is a bit confusing in that regard. With proper amplification, the bass and very-deep sub-bass is all there. It's just not slamming like you can get in some headphones. Maybe the bass might best be compared to an IEM like Etys, the bass is all there, and you can hear the notes, but not much slam. Anyway, if you can accept that, the K701 will provide soundstage like no other and whopping detail, too.

There can be some slam without giving up depth, but at that point it's really the amp and partly the source unit,* but just as important as the amp would be ambient noise when it comes to open back headphones. I don't listen to my HD600 earlier than 10pm, for one.

*ca 2013: NAD CDPs were great, Marantz had the same slam but lacked depth, entry level Cambridge was terrible and up the range they're just unremarkable; Rega lacked depth and midrange was too dark; overall the best one was still the Arcam CD72

You are correct to first think of the HD650/600. That's the headphone if you want soundstage with bass. (But there's still a compromise - the soundstage and detail is not in the same league as the K701 or HD800.)

Just to add: proportional soundstage. We have to clarify this because some people can say "they're fine, far from fantastic but not bad" then some people came back and went "what soundstage?!?! my Grados were wider!" when it basically made it look like the drummer and drums were way bigger than the rest of the band (or that the drummer was Dr Otto Octavius ie four very long robot arms).

Aug 1, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 12
UAE(Sennheiser HD 600 is not available in any stores this country)
Are you able to order from Europe? Just asking because I am considering selling my like-new HD600 :)

Aug 1, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #9 of 12
Are you able to order from Europe? Just asking because I am considering selling my like-new HD600 :)
So am I, but I didn't post about it in violation of the rules. :wink:

Aug 4, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #10 of 12

Personally stay away from the newer Burson units with the switching power supply. I used to own a REF 3 unit and found after listening to it for awhile it had an electronic signature to it due to that switching power supply. I traded my Burson ref 3 in on a Morpheus dac. I own akg phones and went back to my old Burson Ha-160(no dac) version. It sounded much more analog like with the older Burson . I upgraded the fuse on my Burson with the hif tuning supreme fuse. I use Iso-acoustics pucks under my Buson Ha-160.
I know the cable on the AKG 701 is not replaceable but I had the 1/4 inch plug on the cable upgraded with the brass furutech 1/4 inch headphone plug. It was a nice improvement over the stock plug. The phone sounds better after the upgrade. a bit smoother with better bass.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2022 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 12
I'm actually hunting for a K701 now. Not that I'd ditch my HD600 or otherwise don't like it, but the reality is, I got it at a time when the good headphone amps for the K701 were so the Heed CanAmp gets touted as practically the only one for it (locally available choices were far, far worse too, like...just the Creek and ProJect, and some Musical Fidelity). I got a Cantate.2 years after that and when I got to try a K701 and K702 on it the bass was there, unlike whatever I tried both on.
Kinda interested in this amp. Going to get a K701 and have a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back