Amp for AKG K340
Jun 5, 2006 at 3:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

braker218

100+ Head-Fier
So I am about to purchase a K340, and have a couple questions about which amp I should get. I have heard that these are very hard to drive, so this is why I am a little concerned. Currently I have a milliet hybrid on the way. Would this be a good fit for the K340? I could sell the hybrid, and buy something else in the $250-300 range as well. If you don't think the millet hybrid would be good, could you recommend me something else in this price range (preferably tube)?

Jun 5, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #3 of 8
The Millett hybrid may be too underpowered to bring out the K340's potential. The M3 is a good amp for this phone. It can output plenty of power (remember it can be used as a speaker amp too!) and will easily drive the K340's.

Aditya

Jun 5, 2006 at 11:58 AM Post #4 of 8
You should be thinking Prehead MK II, or for running them balanced consider a Lavery da10.
This is an instance where you need to sell the Millet and save to do it right.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 8
You should do a search there was another thread somewhere about it. My reccomendation was the Bottlehead S.E.X. amp.

Jun 5, 2006 at 8:34 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by braker218
Currently I have a milliet hybrid on the way. Would this be a good fit for the K340?

No, in my experience the Millett doesn't nearly have the balls to drive the 340s. Quote:

If you don't think the millet hybrid would be good, could you recommend me something else in this price range (preferably tube)?

Very slim pickings for tubes under 3 bills. I'd second the rec of the M3, except there isn't currently anyone building them. Your best bet may be to look for used DIY stuff. I really enjoyed the 340s out of a PPA, but others have not been big fans of this combo.

My 2¢,

Nate

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:25 PM Post #7 of 8
Has anyone tried the K340 with the Corda HA-2 (Mk I or II)? It is supposed to be very close in sound to the Prehead, which is supposedly one of the best amps for the AKG's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back