Amp for AKG K240s 55 ohm???
Dec 31, 2012 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Edward123

New Head-Fier
Hey guys I'm kind of new to this site so I was wondering if you could help me out. I recently bought the AKG k240s 55ohms model two  months ago and I really enjoy it. However for some of the albums I heard distortions at the higher volumes. I usually listen to jazz and a little classical(mostly Beethoven's symphonies). So anyone know a good amp/dac under three hundred dollars? 

Thanks 

Jan 10, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2 of 14
Well, when I had those cans, they were driven relatively easily from whatever I had (iPod, all receivers, Asgard, laptops, etc). When I plugged them into the Asgard, they seemed to tighten up a bit in the bass. Otherwise, no major differences for me. You could take a look at the Asgard, but it's just an amplifier. You could also take a look at those new Magni and Modi amp/dac units from Schiit. I have no experience with those, though, so I can't speak for them first hand. Read around a bit, and I'm sure you'll dig something up.

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:38 PM Post #4 of 14
Theoretically, you don't need a lot of power for 55ohms headphones, so you may start with only dac, that . Obviuosly wait for a confirmation, you may need anyway some amp to connect you're headphone. 

If you're listening from a common laptop now, you'll see (hear) a huge improvement with this dac/amp combo i believe. A pity it's really difficult to get it here in italy.

Jan 15, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:
Theoretically, you don't need a lot of power for 55ohms headphones

Also to keep in mind, is that while they are 55 ohms, their sensitivity is 91dB/mW. So while their impedance is low, they aren't particularly sensitive. I always say that these cans are 'relatively' easy to drive as opposed to easy to drive. When I had them, I never had an issue driving them from any device, but regardless they do seem to like a bit of power.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:28 PM Post #7 of 14
I just acquired the Hifiman EF2A headphone amp. It's a hybrid tube amp/DAC and is driving my AKG 271 mkII's. (55 ohm)
I am ripping CDs in lossless format and playing thru iTunes, using the USB input and also some mp3's and even pandora thru the RCA inputs.
I have been pleasantly surprised and am loving the sound. I realize I can tweak the sound a bit with different tubes, but for now my eardrums are happy!
neju6e4e.jpg

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 14
I have always preferred "wire with gain" solid state amps with my K24S-55.  I always found them more of a groovy-fun headphone than flat-analytic... closer to a Grado HF1 than AKG K701.

I have a mister-X built pimeta that I like with these cans, but my Larocco PPA is my go to amp for wire with gain.  These are older DIY builds and are harder to come by in 2013.  If you can find one on the used BST boards go for it.  I always liked the Gilmore lite for this kind of thing too... great sounding circuit that won't leave you broke.  Originating from the brains of one of the better head-fi designers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back