amp for 280's, meta42 or something else?
Aug 9, 2002 at 3:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

elnero

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all,

Hopefully I'll be recieving my HD280's in the next few days. My first set of serious headphones. I've been thinking about getting a portable amp for them but I'm not really sure which would be the right one. My budget isn't huge, probably $100 - $150 ($160- $240 Canadian) I'm not so concerned with running the system on the go but more carting between work and home, so although not necessary something I can plug in may be a big bonus. Basically I really liked the 280's however I did find the highs a bit on the cold, hard side so I would like something to help in that area. Also, I'm a big tube fan so anything that might "sweeten" things up would be good as well.

I'm willing to make sacrifices here, I know I'm not going to get the greatest thing in the world with my limited funds. This would be more of an interim fix that would eventually reside at work. In the future I hope to buy another set of phones for home. I expect these to be a step up from the 280's but I'm not sure what I'm thinking about. The W100's or 100ti's look the most intriguing at this point. I will then add a dedicated home amp. Maybe an NVA or something else, I haven't really got that far along yet.

I've been hearing alot of good things about the meta42 so I PM'd JMT over a week ago but I've heard nothing back. Would a Porta Corda or Airhead be a better choice? What about some of the other amps I've heard about like a CMOY or CHA-47? Which, if any would give the "sweetest" dare I say "tubelike" sound? Anyone out there using the 280's in a magic combo?

Thanx for any advice,

Phil

Aug 9, 2002 at 6:23 AM Post #2 of 9
Hi elnero,

I've been driving my hd280's with a cha47/ad8610's biased class a, and I don't find the highs cold and hard. Of course, running class A I'm sure has a lot do with it. But running the ad8610 stock, non-class A, I still didn't find the high end harsh. How it was powered did affect the sound. With a single 9v battery, the sound was just barely acceptable. Lousy dynamics, no balls. Two 9v batteries in series was better because the ad8610 likes more voltage. The best battery config I used was 4-9v batteries in series/parrallel, but that didn't compare to the reg. psu. That may be a bit of overkill, but the reg. psu made the cha47 sound it's best. Bottom line, don't underestimate the importance of how the amp is powered.

With all that said, I would get the meta/ad8610, if it's within your budget.
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2002 at 5:11 PM Post #3 of 9
I use an AirHead, which was only $99 from Headroom, to drive my 280s, & like it much. It seems to have more punch when I use a RadioShack 12V adaptor to run the AirHead in place of the 3 AAAs that power it when used portably. I picked up an RCA to mini adaptor so I can use the AirHead even when using my full-sized receivers--sound is marginally better, but I use it then for the HeadRoom cross-feed. I personally wouldn't get an amp without some kind of cross-feed just for the headache factor.

Aug 10, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 9
WHAHOOOOOOO! Just got my 280's!!!

puppyslug,

Thanks for the info, i might actually be tempted to forgo batteries altogether if I go the meta route. I have yet to hear from JMT though so I'm not really sure whether to contact someone else or not.

Gus B,

Thanx for your input as well the airhead is definately an option. Do you know how it compares to a meta? I'm not sure about cross feed. If it's anything like the headphone setting in my Soundblaster Live! drivers I don't think I would like it all that much.

Phil

Aug 11, 2002 at 12:00 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by elnero
WHAHOOOOOOO! Just got my 280's!!!

puppyslug,

Thanks for the info, i might actually be tempted to forgo batteries altogether if I go the meta route. I have yet to hear from JMT though so I'm not really sure whether to contact someone else or not.

Gus B,

Thanx for your input as well the airhead is definately an option. Do you know how it compares to a meta? I'm not sure about cross feed. If it's anything like the headphone setting in my Soundblaster Live! drivers I don't think I would like it all that much.

Phil

elnero,

I'd hold off on the airhead (at least for the moment) and try PM'n JMT again. (He was travelling last week, I had to resend a PM of my own). It was well worth it though, I now have a META42 going into production shortly. Unlike an off the shelf AH or TAH, YOU decide what goes into it !

Aug 11, 2002 at 12:17 AM Post #7 of 9
Hi elnero,

If you aren't going to power the meta with batteries, you may want to consider having JMT or whoever builds your meta, about making a reg. psu. If they won't, pm me. I guess you can tell I think much of most off the shelf psu's. Not that they all bad, but when you factor the cost of a decent psu, I think they are little pricey.

Aug 11, 2002 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 9
HighwayStar,

Thanx for the info, I was starting to wonder. I'll get a PM off to him at the first of the week.

puppyslug,

I will get hold of you if I'm in need. Thanx for the offer.
biggrin.gif

BenG,

Cool, keep me updated on how it goes I'm really interested in your verdict.

Phil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back