Amp for 200 euro.. any suggestion?
Jul 15, 2008 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Super Funk

New Head-Fier
Hi all, this is my first thread on this forum..
i'm not new at all in the headphone world, but i don't think i am experienced enough.
so here is my question: i own a pair of AKG k141, they are good for studio monitoring, and so i was using it for work. but beeing on a budget, i can't buy some more expensive cans for home listening (perhaps next year...).
so i was thinking about upgrading with an amplifier that can boost the performance of this cans and does not cost more than 200 euro... if it exhist, what is the best buy?
am i asking too much?
my sistem is based exclusively on vinyl and at the moment i'm plugging into the "Bellari vp 129" phono preamp, wich have an headphone output not bad at all, but i want more!
i need a good headset also because it will be a better way of monitoring the difficult process of finding the correct setting (choices) for my front end, this mean finding the better cartridge on the better tonearm with my TT, and i think i can't do this basing my listenings only on speakers.
another question: is this "amplifier thing" a good choice or my money would be better spent on better headphones??? i am already looking for K701 bargains
smily_headphones1.gif
Regards, SuperFunk.

Jul 15, 2008 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 8
I'd definitely suggest buying an amp before buying new headphones, especially if you are looking at K701s.

200 euro is on the low side for home amps, but you definitely have options, especially if you buy used or have someone build you a DIY amp. Look around in the FS forum and see what interests you.

One amp that comes to mind is the Corda Arietta, from Jan Meier, which may be slightly over your budget, but it's built in Europe so you'll save on shipping. Run a search on it.

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:16 AM Post #3 of 8
thanks for the prompt answer.
this Corda Arietta you said, is it a huge difference from my actual phone output or is it just a little bit better... i have found on e bay some "dark voice" with interesting prices... but i don't know none of these brands or products.
i think i need to wait and learn... as usually

Jul 17, 2008 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 8
Hi, and welcome to the community!

There is a lot of information about the Darkvoice amps on this forum. Do a search and you will find tons.
There are some conciderations to be made about amps:
if you want tubes or solid state, which headphones you are going to use with it and so on. Since you are into vinyl, going with tubes might be a good idea.
You should be able to find information about most gear out there here. Prepare for big, red and sore eyes!
biggrin.gif

Btw, lovely avatar!

Jul 17, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Btw, lovely avatar!

it's meeeeeeeeeee...
yes my main source is vinyl... really is the only one, as i don't like cd and i deeply hate mp3.
about the choice between tubes or solid state.. i think this is more decided by the budget.. tubes usually are too expensive. basically i need something of analitic but i don't want a "cold sound". something with a real natural sound so i can have the right idea during the settings of my front end.
i know i am asking too much for not much money..
but sometimes happens in the HiFi the luck of finding the cheap and good stuff. an example is what happened with the tripath chip on the amplifiers, or with some cheap cartridges that beat the expensive ones.
so, basically i am looking for a "giant beater"
ok, you can lynch me now

Jul 17, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #6 of 8
Since you are in Euro land you will probably have 220V.

A good deal is the Darkvoice Figaro - with different tubes.

So get the Figaro, get a set of tubes for another 10-20€ and you will be happy.

Jul 17, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #7 of 8
There are some DIY amps for sale in the forums too that are more or less around your budget, you might want to look at that too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back