Amp/dac recommended for Bose IE2
Dec 1, 2012 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

inanimate

New Head-Fier
I know everyone hates bose.. But I got the ie2s from a family member for free, and I'm impressed with the sound, but was wondering what would be a good portable or non portable amp and a dac for these headphones? Thanks

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #2 of 14
Well, portable and non-portable are both very different things. If you're using them at home and want to get the absolute most out of them, just a simple dac+S/S amp will do the trick. Tubes don't match very nicely with IEMs so you're better off with weaker solidstates. If I were to give you my HONEST opinion, just get an inexpensive amp only, unless your source is absolutely horrid. I wouldn't be paying too much for the Bose, but if you're planning on buying more in the future, Fiio or iBasso is a nice place to start as they are relatively inexpensive, even JDSLabs works. Something premium for the Bose would be the JDS C421 or Headstage Arrow 4G... Something good would be the Fiio E11. Something cost-effective would be the Fiio E6.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:08 AM Post #3 of 14
1. The Bose are designed to be used with portable devices and need no amp.
2. Don't bother trying to improve the sound with an amp. Enjoy them if you are liking them and when you are ready to spend more money, get a better IEM. For instance the $30 Sony MH1C is going to be a vast improvement (even unamped) to the bose so you could spend your money on more of an IEM selection.

Dec 1, 2012 at 4:45 AM Post #4 of 14
I thought Doc was double-posting, then realized that two people had the same avatars....

I agree though, IEMs in general don't really NEED an amp, and improvements, while present, aren't going to make these pour liquid unobtainium into your ear.

That being said, I would never throw away, or even sell a gift from a family member, though that's just me. And if they don't sound half bad to you (I thought they sounded fine, and the comfort is pretty good), you'd be better off just enjoying them! There's always EQ if you get bored of the sig, and upgrades abound if you want something better. I think you'll be fine without the amp.

Dec 1, 2012 at 8:36 AM Post #5 of 14
I agree with the advice given here. The IE2 needs no amp. I also use them more than any other IEM I have as the comfort, sound and lack of isolation are a plus in most situations for me. Enjoy them - the Bose bashing is a bit undeserved for their headphones (well, maybe the prices deserve it).

Dec 1, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #6 of 14
Thanks for all the fast replies everyone.. I just read some where that most headphones don't get the best sq unless used with a proper amp.. Wasn't sure on that part.. So what would be a good upgrade for these? I will use the Bose to work out and then would like some full size headphones for the house. I listen to all types of music and like everything neutral.. My budget is up to 350(if the headphone is worth it) any ideas. Don't need to be portable

Dec 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for all the fast replies everyone.. I just read some where that most headphones don't get the best sq unless used with a proper amp.. Wasn't sure on that part.. So what would be a good upgrade for these? I will use the Bose to work out
and then would like some full size headphones for the house. I listen to all types of music and like everything neutral.. My budget is up to
350(if the headphone is worth it) any ideas. Don't need to be
portable

What are you looking for in terms of sound though? Any idea on the music you listen to would be helpful as well. Since you're using them at home, could they potentially be open backed?

Dec 1, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #8 of 14
Open back is fine, I don't really care about isolation.. Umm I mostly listen to r&b, alternative rock, a little bit of dubstep, I like clean highs and mids, but not boomy bass.. Hope that helps

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
Open back is fine, I don't really care about isolation.. Umm I mostly listen to r&b, alternative rock, a little bit of dubstep, I like clean highs and mids, but not boomy bass.. Hope that helps

I'll just throw out the DT770 or the HE-400 as stuff you might want to try out. Especially the HE-400 (open-box, B-stock, you can find them at 350) . 

Dec 2, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #10 of 14
Thanks twin.. I have one last question if someone doesn't mind answering... I fixed my Sony MDR XB500 yesterday and love the way these headphones sound. So what would be a good amp for these and a dac because I can't eq them at all on my iPhone and feel liking I can't tweak them like I want to.. Thanks

Dec 2, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #11 of 14
Thanks twin.. I have one last question if someone doesn't mind answering... I fixed my Sony MDR XB500 yesterday and love the way these headphones sound. So what would be a good amp for these and a dac because I can't eq them at all on my iPhone and feel liking I can't tweak them like I want to.. Thanks

Have you tried Equalizer? It's an app with parametric EQ. You can adjust the sound however you want with it. Tons of other third party apps to do so as well. I wouldn't recommend using an amp or a dac to tweak the sound like that, it's not what they're meant to do.

Dec 6, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #13 of 14
So I just got the E 11 and a lod for it.. And I haven't had it but for a day but the difference in sound is incredible.. I can't even turn the amp up all the way because its too loud on the XB500s and the Bose.. The Bose don't work as well with it but the XB500s work perfectly.. The bass settings are awesome, but u found 1 is fine and 2 is too much. The high and low gain helps a lot with the 500s too, makes the highs and upper mids a lot clearer and louder. I'm glad I bought it seeing as I only spent 50 with shipping. The build quality of the E11 seems pretty good but haven't tested it out yet. It has a nice black shiny look to it, and is small enough to hide it behind my 4s. Great purchase, just wanted to let you guys know thanks for the help

Mar 23, 2013 at 1:51 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:
So I just got the E 11 and a lod for it.. And I haven't had it but for a day but the difference in sound is incredible.. I can't even turn the amp up all the way because its too loud on the XB500s and the Bose.. The Bose don't work as well with it but the XB500s work perfectly.. The bass settings are awesome, but u found 1 is fine and 2 is too much. The high and low gain helps a lot with the 500s too, makes the highs and upper mids a lot clearer and louder. I'm glad I bought it seeing as I only spent 50 with shipping. The build quality of the E11 seems pretty good but haven't tested it out yet. It has a nice black shiny look to it, and is small enough to hide it behind my 4s. Great purchase, just wanted to let you guys know thanks for the help

Spotify has an add on EQ for it now.  May want to give that a try.

Sounds like you may be a bit of a basshead if you are loving the XB500 with the E-11 with bass added.   Might want to check out one of the most popular threads here - The Basshead Club.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back