Amp/Dac pairing for MrSpeakers Aeon
Aug 27, 2017 at 12:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Josh76

Member of the Trade: RhythmDevils Audio
I currently have a low end Schiit stack (Modi2 / Vali2 with the Genalex E88CC tube) and this works fine for my AKG K7XX headphones. I also have the Massdrop / Cavalli amp coming next year.

With my Aeon I found music too harsh and fatiguing with poor sound stage so I'm looking for a paring which hopefully improves all of those issues.

I'm more interested in a best value for my money pairing than THE BEST, because of the diminishing returns factor. :)

I'm curious about audio-gd (perhaps nfb28) and the jds element since I've read they both have a mellower sound. I imagine the element is too low end and if I don't like the audio-gd it takes more effort to get most of my money back (return to China or sell). From what I've read it seems like OTL is not the way to go for planars unless I spend over $1,000?

Music taste is varied: rock, metal, jazz, classical, pop.

Aug 27, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #2 of 24
Well.....I do not own the Aeon,so take what Im about to say with a few grains of salt.

I heard the Aeon on 4 separate systems @ CanJam NYC and it sounded great each time...Once it was out of the Chord Mojo.Another was straight out of the new Sony DAP(dont recall model number,sorry).The other two times i dont remember what was driving it,but I came away under the impression that theyre not an amp picky HP.

You might want to ask in the Aeon thread.

As far as OTLs driving planars goes,my old Woo Audio WA2(1200.00) was wonderful driving 300-600 ohm dynamic HPs,but didnt have the balls to drive an LCD-2,which is a fairly easy planar to drive BTW.However my La Figaro 339(600.00) drives planars very well,including my ZMF Blackwood,which need a healthy dose of power to get going.

Aug 31, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #6 of 24
I've got a Uber Schiit Stack (Magni/Modi)... would I need to upgrade if I picked up Aeons?
That setup punches well above it's weight class, you should be fine with it :)

Sep 1, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #7 of 24
I ended up going with the Little Dot MK III and the micro iDSD BL. The BL hasn't arrived yet so I've been listening with the LD today (with my Modi2). WOW, so much better. This was my first tube amp and it appears tube amps are for me. If the La Figaro is as good as everyone says, that may become my tube end game. For now I'll enjoy the LD and hope burn in is a real thing so it will sound even better soon. :)

With my Schiit stack I thought the AKG-7XX sounded much better than the Aeon (and was rather disappointed considering the price). Now I like the Aeons better. Sound stage on the AKG is still better but overall finding the Aeons more enjoyable and exciting. I'm also sending back the Modi2 for the Mimby, hopefully that will help as well.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #8 of 24
I am currently listening to my iDSD BL, which I LOVED with my Ether C 1.1 when i had those, but with the Aeon it feels too soft in the mids.

Switching to my Alien+ dap and its got all the grunt I was looking for in the iDSD.

I tried them with my friends Mojo and really enjoyed the pairing.

I auditioned them with the Modi MB vali2 and was not impressed at all.
So I tried them with the Jotenheim (Via USB) and found it to be a great pairing also..

Oct 16, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #9 of 24
I am currently listening to my iDSD BL, which I LOVED with my Ether C 1.1 when i had those, but with the Aeon it feels too soft in the mids.

Switching to my Alien+ dap and its got all the grunt I was looking for in the iDSD.

I tried them with my friends Mojo and really enjoyed the pairing.

I auditioned them with the Modi MB vali2 and was not impressed at all.
So I tried them with the Jotenheim (Via USB) and found it to be a great pairing also..

I'm not planning on getting a DAP, I rarely go portable. I have heard some recommendations for Chord's products and will need to try them out at some point. I definitely think the Vali2 is overrated.

For now I'm happy with my Mimby and LD MK III paired with the Aeons, those work well especially after some tube rolling.

Dec 6, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #10 of 24
I currently have a low end Schiit stack (Modi2 / Vali2 with the Genalex E88CC tube) and this works fine for my AKG K7XX headphones. I also have the Massdrop / Cavalli amp coming next year.

With my Aeon I found music too harsh and fatiguing with poor sound stage so I'm looking for a paring which hopefully improves all of those issues.

I'm more interested in a best value for my money pairing than THE BEST, because of the diminishing returns factor. :)

I'm curious about audio-gd (perhaps nfb28) and the jds element since I've read they both have a mellower sound. I imagine the element is too low end and if I don't like the audio-gd it takes more effort to get most of my money back (return to China or sell). From what I've read it seems like OTL is not the way to go for planars unless I spend over $1,000?

Music taste is varied: rock, metal, jazz, classical, pop.
That's interesting

I personally heard them on the mojos and man they sound amazing on them.
I don't understand how the schiit stack barely makes it for these headphones.
Perhaps the mojo is just so good for the price? Can't be , I've heard alot of people say there are better stuff for the money though.
I may be wrong.

I'm kinda dying to find a desktop mojo, but I can pick a used mojo for like 300 USD so I might just charge it every night lol

Dec 6, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 24
That's interesting

I personally heard them on the mojos and man they sound amazing on them.
I don't understand how the schiit stack barely makes it for these headphones.
Perhaps the mojo is just so good for the price? Can't be , I've heard alot of people say there are better stuff for the money though.
I may be wrong.

I'm kinda dying to find a desktop mojo, but I can pick a used mojo for like 300 USD so I might just charge it every night lol

Yeah, I think my dislike of the Modi/Vali2 is unusual. Since I like the Mimby I will still give their other products a shot down the line.

The iDSD BL has been great, I ended up liking it the best for Aeons so far. One of these days I need to try something from Chord and Audio-GD.

Dec 6, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #14 of 24
Some OTL amps will work fine some not so much. Don’t know the La Figaro so can’t say .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back