Amp/DAC or a better sound card or better headphones?
Aug 17, 2009 at 5:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

nate911

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my computer audio...
I have AD700s for headphones and a X-fi Xtremegamer sound card. What would be the benefits of having an amp/DAC versus a sound card?

If I am going to upgrade my sound card, it would be the Asus Xonar Esssence STX.

I was also looking at these amps...
Beserford TC-7520
E-MU 0404 USB
iBasso D10

My budget is a couple hundred.

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #4 of 25
You're going to benefit the most if you sell your AD700 and spend the $200 that you're gonna spend on dac/amp on a better headphone and preferably a used one.

Aug 17, 2009 at 8:42 AM Post #5 of 25
^^I agree

But otoh, once he buys a $200 headphone then he would have to buy a DAC+AMP , won't he
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 9:52 AM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade my computer audio...
I have AD700s for headphones and a X-fi Xtremegamer sound card. What would be the benefits of having an amp/DAC versus a sound card?

If I am going to upgrade my sound card, it would be the Asus Xonar Esssence STX.

I was also looking at these amps...
Beserford TC-7520
E-MU 0404 USB
iBasso D10

Any more suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Amplifier is not the job for E-Mu 0404 USB, but a USB soundcard
Given an opportunity to firewire interface, you will feel the difference.

Aug 17, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil.Heretical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Get a DAC, connect to sound card, you'll get a better sound. That's how it works.
You don't really need AMP for your AD700s

I though you plug the dac into a usb port, not a sound card. A sound card is not required for a dac, right?

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #9 of 25
Jeez guys, hold on a second!!!

A DAC does digital to analog. A soundcard is also a DAC. You have the following options

Analog output from Soundcard on the PC
USB connection to a USB DAC and analog out from the USB DAC
Optical or Coaxial output from soundcard to dedicated outboard DAC, analog out from DAC

Basically you have to decide which route you need to take. The EMU 0404 USB is an outboard USB DAC which also has optical and coaxial inputs, and a fairly decent headphone amp. This amp is more than suffificient for most of the headphones other than the really demanding ones.

Consider the EMU0202 as well. At around half the price, it sounds very good and has a slightly less powerful amp, but it can drive low impedance cans very well.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 25
a soundcard IS a DAC.. you don't need both

you either sell your X-Fi for the STX, or you still your X-Fi for a DAC

although the AD700's dont benefit much from amping, i would go with a bang for buck DAC/amp combo like the D10

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:34 PM Post #11 of 25
Thanks for all the responses!

I game too...wouldn't I still need my sound card for that? Or would that work out with a standalone amp/dac (or whatever it's called..).

I've gotten a lot of mixed responses, so I'm not really sure what to do.

I'm open to getting more headphones definitely - my budget is a few hundred, and I'd like to spend it on something that'd improve the SQ the most, whether it's headphones or amp/dac or whatever... I've just heard that I need to upgrade the amp/DAC before buying better cans.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #12 of 25
I'd suggest going with an amp/dac combo (like the HiFiMan EF2 or the Audio-GD Compass) or a soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence STX) and forget about getting a DAC and amp separately, since you can't have one without the other and your budget isn't permitting. Personally, I'd go with the new sound card if I were in your position; you would have just a single thing in your signal chain, and you'd be able to sell your old sound card for some extra cash.

Aug 18, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #13 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by nate911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all the responses!

I game too...wouldn't I still need my sound card for that? Or would that work out with a standalone amp/dac (or whatever it's called..).

I've gotten a lot of mixed responses, so I'm not really sure what to do.

I'm open to getting more headphones definitely - my budget is a few hundred, and I'd like to spend it on something that'd improve the SQ the most, whether it's headphones or amp/dac or whatever... I've just heard that I need to upgrade the amp/DAC before buying better cans.

As I said before, getting a new headphone would net you the MOST improvement. If you like the AD700 sound, perhaps you can look into a used W5000 which goes for around $500.

Aug 18, 2009 at 2:16 AM Post #14 of 25
If you are concerned about gaming, you need a specific sound card for that. Some of the X-Fi cards have a good digital output for a DAC or maybe you need a separate card for that function. A USB converter may be indicated, but a good one is expensive.

Basically, gaming and hi-fi don't mix well, often a separate solution is more cost-effective.

Aug 18, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by somestranger26 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd suggest going with an amp/dac combo (like the HiFiMan EF2 or the Audio-GD Compass) or a soundcard (Asus Xonar Essence STX) and forget about getting a DAC and amp separately, since you can't have one without the other and your budget isn't permitting. Personally, I'd go with the new sound card if I were in your position; you would have just a single thing in your signal chain, and you'd be able to sell your old sound card for some extra cash.

Yeah I think the sound card will be the easiest for me and it will benefit gaming also... Not really positive though.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As I said before, getting a new headphone would net you the MOST improvement. If you like the AD700 sound, perhaps you can look into a used W5000 which goes for around $500.

I listen to most types of music (except country heh). Mainly rock and some techno/electronica/trance/etc. And I need headphones that are comfortable too.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back