Amp/DAC options up to ~$500
Mar 11, 2017 at 4:10 PM Post #16 of 24
Do you have any suggestions for preamp or switches? I have some cheap solutions from radio shack but they are ugly and take a lot more space then necessary (a/v switches).

I'd go with the Radio Shack style switches - you can pay a fortune for something more "hi-fi" if your vanity/aesthetic requirements are really worth it. Look at Maple Tree or CI Audio if that's the case. :xf_eek:

As far as the preamps go, lots of headphone amps can do that if you need something smaller than a conventional 19" box.

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #17 of 24
Part of the reason this is becoming complicated for me is that I have 4 different setups that I'm trying to figure out how to allocate everything between. In my original search, my X-DAC was still alive. Its death shuffled everything around.

Setup 1: Home theater. Gaming/Movie use. HD580/El-8
Onkyo receiver has a poor headphone out and does not provide a line out. Right now I take an optical out of my Xbox One to my E17 which is docked into my E09k. This sound quality is more than good enough.

Setup 2: Home office. Music/Gaming use. HD650/EL-8/Sr60e
My E17/E09k doesn't work with my desktop. I was sending optical out to my XDAC then amplifying with my M3. Now I undock my E17 and use it, which is kind of a hassle.

Setup 3: Bedroom. Music/Movie use. HD650/EL-8/Sr60e.
Right now I use my M3 with the analog out from my SACD player. If I want to use my laptop for audio I use the E17. I liked having optical out from my TV/PS3 available; right now I'm stuck with just my tv speakers.

Setup 4: Portable/Office. Music use. Sine/Klipsch X1.
E17 driven from the USB-C on my Pixel. Sound quality is good enough for my use.

I could find a different solution for Setup 1, since it has the lowest bar to meet for sound quality. That would free up my E09k/E17 to be used in Setup 2. Then I would just need to buy a USB Dac to pair with my M3. Result would be a decreased amp quality for Setup 3.

I could also add one Amp/Dac combo and one additional DAC. A Modi Multibit would likely pair well wth my M3 for Setup 3. Setup 2 could be a Jotunheim with DAC. This would raise the bar across my most SQ intense setups, but likely cost the most.
the 
Something like the Chord Mojo would bring a second portable DAC into the picture. It supports all the input options I need, so it could be used in any of the 4 setups. My M3 really wouldn't have any use (no line out from Mojo) except for with my SACD player. My E17 would likely be replaced in Setup 4 by the Mojo. I would just need to have extra cables around to pop the Mojo into each setup. Would the Mojo be powerful enough to drive everything?

EL-8: 30 ohm Impedance, "Optimal Power Requirement" 200mw to 4w
Sine: 20 ohm Impedance, "Optimal Power Requirement" 500mw to 1w
HD650: 300 ohm Impedance, 97 db/mw sensitivity, 2.447 voltage for 110db
Sr60: 32 ohm Impedance, 60 db/mw, 0.71 voltage for 110db

Mar 12, 2017 at 12:58 PM Post #18 of 24
Something like the Chord Mojo would bring a second portable DAC into the picture. It supports all the input options I need, so it could be used in any of the 4 setups. My M3 really wouldn't have any use (no line out from Mojo) except for with my SACD player. My E17 would likely be replaced in Setup 4 by the Mojo. I would just need to have extra cables around to pop the Mojo into each setup. Would the Mojo be powerful enough to drive everything?

The Mojo can be used as a DAC with any amp. Just connect a cable from one of the Mojo's headphone outputs to your amp (1/8" on one end and whatever you need on the other, such as RCA) and hold both volume buttons when turning it on to set line level volume of 3 volts. It's variable, so you can reduce it to any level if need be.

I already answered in my last post that it has more than enough power.

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #19 of 24

The Mojo can be used as a DAC with any amp. Just hold both volume buttons when turning it on to set line level volume of 3 volts. It's variable, so you can reduce it to any level if need be.

I already answered in my last post that it has more than enough power.

Thanks, I'm comparing that to the compiled list in my last post. The only question is with the Audeze headphones, but I'm not sure where they get their upper range to be at 4w (EL-8) and 1w (Sine). Since they don't seem to overpower my M3, they should be fine in practice with the Mojo or similar device.

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #20 of 24
  Thanks, I'm comparing that to the compiled list in my last post. The only question is with the Audeze headphones, but I'm not sure where they get their upper range to be at 4w (EL-8) and 1w (Sine). Since they don't seem to overpower my M3, they should be fine in practice with the Mojo or similar device.

The information on Audeze's website is false. They're probably just saying that to try to sell their expensive amps. If you put 4 watts into the headphone, it would be loud enough to blow out your ears, and that's if the headphones even got that loud. I have easily driven the LCD-X and LCD-2F from the Mojo. The HE500 has far lower sensitivity and the Mojo can easily drive it too.

Go here to calculate the actual power requirements of headphones:

http://apexhifi.com/specs.html

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:13 PM Post #21 of 24

The information on Audeze's website is false. (They're probably just saying that to try to sell their expensive amps.) I have easily driven the LCD-X and LCD-2F from the Mojo. The HE500 has far lower sensitivity and the Mojo can easily drive it too.

Go here to calculate the actual power requirements of headphones:

http://apexhifi.com/specs.html

Ok. Thread consensus seems to be the Chord Mojo. It's not the form factor I was looking for but I'm coming to believe it may fit my needs the best. I may end up seeing how it works out in my mixed up use cases, then add a Fulla 2 / Modi Multibit to my M3 just so I'm not taking the Mojo with me everywhere.

Mar 12, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #22 of 24
Interestingly, with actual testing, I've found that the volume output of my Audeze headphones is actually closer to my hd650. I assume that is due to the unreported sensitivity rating.

At the same time, I am leaning more towards the Modi Multibit to just compliment my M3 rather than jumping to the Chord Mojo. Then eventually a Jottenheim w/ DAC for my secondary setup or even just a Fulla 2. I appreciate the input so far, but I just don't know if it is the right match for me. I'm really not a fan of moving my equipment room to room with me, then repacking it for work, etc.

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:11 PM Post #23 of 24
I listened to a bunch of the newest amps at CanJam this year. Without spending crazy money, the Schiit audio amps are So.... Good.... They are the easy choice for under $1k IMHO!

For me, the $349 OTL tube amp was right on the money. I forget what the matching DAC is, but this is an EASY choice for warm, open, rich net dynamic and clear sound. For me it's a winner and I'll probably end up picking one up pretty soon!

Mar 15, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #24 of 24
I know it is just over the 500 dollar price point, but it may be possible to consider the Aune S6 as an amp/dac combo. It accepts optical as well, and has a number of different outputs including 3 and 4 pin balanced xlr

Users who are viewing this thread

Back