Amp/Dac for Sennheiser HD598
Dec 6, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #20 of 49
Definitely possible. Balanced/flat, with a little (I mean little) emphasis on mid/high bass (bass instrument tone, not just low end feel like I hear so often on cheaper headsets) as said before.

Listening mostly to rock and progressive metal/rock,solo albums, etc. Not huge into ultra fast/heavy music. If I was I would have gotten m50s or similar..

Soundstage is definitely a plus. I like to hear every instrument separately. Makes for learning songs easier. The last thing I want is low end/sub bass taking over, or general muddiness.

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:14 PM Post #21 of 49
Definitely possible. Balanced/flat, with a little (I mean little) emphasis on mid/high bass (bass instrument tone, not just low end feel like I hear so often on cheaper headsets) as said before.

Listening mostly to rock and progressive metal/rock,solo albums, etc. Not huge into ultra fast/heavy music. If I was I would have gotten m50s or similar..

Soundstage is definitely a plus. I like to hear every instrument separately. Makes for learning songs easier. The last thing I want is low end/sub bass taking over, or general muddiness.

Yeah you may want to try at least the Schiit Vali. Its a Hybrid amp so it will color the sound a little bit but not much. It should give you better punch to bass and mid-bass and maybe put a tad of warmth in the mids. Soundstaging will defiantly be an improvement with the Schiit Vali and Modi.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #22 of 49
The Vali looks to be really sweet, expecially for the price. However, the 6.5 output impedance of the Vali worries me a bit. The 598`s are on the lower impedance end of the spectrum. I looked quickly here on here and reddit/google (take with a grain of salt), and found some not recommending it because 50ohm output of the 598`s; hiss is possible due to the higher noise floor.
If there isn't, this setup looks very tempting...

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #23 of 49
  The Vali looks to be really sweet, expecially for the price. However, the 6.5 output impedance of the Vali worries me a bit. The 598`s are on the lower impedance end of the spectrum. I looked quickly here on here and reddit/google (take with a grain of salt), and found some not recommending it because 50ohm output of the 598`s; hiss is possible due to the higher noise floor.

15 day return policy + money back guaranteed

still worth a try dude

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #24 of 49
With a 15% restocking fee :/

Return Policy
Unlike our other amps, Vali is so affordable we can’t offer the same 15-day, 5% satisfaction guarantee. But if you don’t like your Vali, you can still send it back for a refund, minus 15% restocking fee, within 15 days of receiving your amp.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #25 of 49
  With a 15% restocking fee :/

Return Policy
Unlike our other amps, Vali is so affordable we can’t offer the same 15-day, 5% satisfaction guarantee. But if you don’t like your Vali, you can still send it back for a refund, minus 15% restocking fee, within 15 days of receiving your amp.

edit-Been reading around 30 pages on the vali forum so far...lol.

^fail.

Dec 7, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #27 of 49

I've got my HD598's connected to a Garage 1217 Project Polaris ($249) and settled on the highest selectable output resistance (120R) and medium gain with the HD598's.  Although the middle resistance setting (35R) was pretty good too.  I haven't particularly noticed any hiss/noise floor issues at either setting.  There are also other settings on the Polaris that can alter the preference though.

Also of note is that the HD598's have an impedance spike of about 280 ohms at 100Hz, so they aren't really 50ohm headphones at low frequencies.  I'd treat them more like 300 ohm headphones if looking for an amp.

Jan 20, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #28 of 49
I just got the HD598, I had the Schiit Modi already not sure if the HD598 works well with Modi & Vali combo or Modi & Little Dot 1+ or Modi with something else. Any suggestion is appreciate.

Jan 20, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #29 of 49
  I just got the HD598, I had the Schiit Modi already not sure if the HD598 works well with Modi & Vali combo or Modi & Little Dot 1+ or Modi with something else. Any suggestion is appreciate.

Since HD598 are very sensitive headphones, a powerful amp with a fixed gain is not a good idea.
Magni 2 should work, same for O2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back