AMP/DAC for LCD-2
Jan 15, 2013 at 10:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

bclark8923

500+ Head-Fier
Hello All,

I'm planning on picking up an LCD-2 soon but was wondering what would a good AMP/DAC Combo be for it <$1000.  I currently have the Schiit Magni/Modi but heard that may not be enough to power it.

Would Bifrost/Asgard, Valhalla or Lyr be a good match? Or would you reccommend something else in this price range?

Jan 15, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #2 of 13
The schiit stuff would be fine, opinions with the LCD-2 are mixed tho. What about a 2 on 1 unit, like the 160Ds

Jan 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #4 of 13
Hi Bclark,

You may want to take a look into the DACmini, our desktop DAC/amp. I use LCD 2's here at the office for testing purposes and they sound excellent together.

Here is what one head-fier said:
"I'm finding the CEntrance DACmini is a very good choice for the LCD-2, and it's become my favorite amp to pair with the LCD-2 so far." -Headphoneaddict

Let me know if you have any questions.

-Kenny

Jan 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #5 of 13
Quote:
Hi Bclark,

You may want to take a look into the DACmini, our desktop DAC/amp. I use LCD 2's here at the office for testing purposes and they sound excellent together.

"I'm finding the CEntrance DACmini is a very good choice for the LCD-2, and it's become my favorite amp to pair with the LCD-2 so far." -Headphoneaddict

-Kenny

How does the DACmini do with bass in comparison to the burson 160Ds or the Schii Bifrost/Lyr in your opinion? I like bassier music in general so tend to prefer that as punchy and strong.

Jan 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #6 of 13
I've used both, and this is what i think:
DACmini: Accurate, flat response
160Ds: Articulate bass, warm sounding

Feb 9, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #9 of 13
Both amps are outstanding with the LCD-2, it comes to personal preference the kind of sound you like. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:
Hello All,

I'm planning on picking up an LCD-2 soon but was wondering what would a good AMP/DAC Combo be for it <$1000.  I currently have the Schiit Magni/Modi but heard that may not be enough to power it.

Would Bifrost/Asgard, Valhalla or Lyr be a good match? Or would you reccommend something else in this price range?

I have the Bifrost/Asgard with the LCD 2.2. It is an outstanding combo. I have heard that the Asgard 2 is even better and I am planning to research that model. 

Mar 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Hi Bclark,

-Kenny

Kenny, I'm intrigued. I'm no electrical engineer but how would you differentiate the Dacmini from the Schiit Mjolnir or the Burson Soloist ?
Thanks

Mar 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #12 of 13
I have listened to the lcd2 with the lyr and bifrost and found it to be outstanding. The Asgard to will save you a good bit of money and should drive them well also. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back